Nav Canada Training After Covid

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Rank 0
Rank 0

Nav Canada Training After Covid

Post by 10135734 »

Starting this forum up again, any thoughts on when Nav might start up training again?
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Nav Canada Training After Covid

Post by ahramin »

They have a panel of experts who will calculate exactly when they have to start training in order to just barely keep up with demand. About 6 months after that point they'll start thinking about getting the training department fired up.

BoardManPaid
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BoardManPaid »

10135734 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:21 pm Starting this forum up again, any thoughts on when Nav might start up training again?
Years

JVader
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JVader »

Rest assured, many more managers and executives will need to be hired well before that decision is made.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

There are a lot of laid off staff that could be brought back before they'll need to hire more.

RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

There's a Terminal course starting in Vancouver in April, and a handful of trainees that haven't been axed at various other units still going.

As for Generic IFR/VFR courses or complex tower courses, I would be surprised if anything happens again in 2021. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't see anything before 2022. And like others have said above, there's plenty of trainees that were laid off that are likely to be brought back before fresh-off-the-street folk will be hired.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

RexKrammer wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:35 am There's a Terminal course starting in Vancouver in April, and a handful of trainees that haven't been axed at various other units still going.

As for Generic IFR/VFR courses or complex tower courses, I would be surprised if anything happens again in 2021. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't see anything before 2022. And like others have said above, there's plenty of trainees that were laid off that are likely to be brought back before fresh-off-the-street folk will be hired.
Trainees AND qualified controllers that need to be recalled first. I say minimum 2 years.

RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

I'm hoping that things will be resolved before those controllers served notice will actually be laid off.
But I agree, they and anybody at the units that could close due to the LOS would definitely be front of the line back in before new hirerees.

wanderlust_xx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wanderlust_xx »

RexKrammer wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:35 am There's a Terminal course starting in Vancouver in April, and a handful of trainees that haven't been axed at various other units still going.

I was in the group of terminal trainees in Vancouver that were fired.
How is there a terminal course running? It must be controllers/trainees from other specialties?
There's no other trainees coming down the pipe at the moment.

Our group was told that we are on a recall list until the end of 2022.

It will be interesting to see what happens with air travel once everyone is vaccinated this year.

ProfessionalATC
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ProfessionalATC »

Hello All

With more and more people getting vaccinated, with our neighbors to the south opening up more, it seems like there is light at the end of the tunnel and we could be coming out of the pandemic and travel picking up again in Canada in the next 3 or 4 months. With this in mind does anyone have any updates as to whether or not Nav Canada will start training soon ?

Top_Gun
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Top_Gun »

NAV CANADA cancels surplus notices for air traffic controllers ​

https://www.navcanada.ca/en/news/news-r ... 55879.aspx

This would be one step towards any new training starting up. No more layoff notices for current controllers.

RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

ProfessionalATC wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:15 am With this in mind does anyone have any updates as to whether or not Nav Canada will start training soon ?
I've heard talk of a generic VFR course running in September, but nothing concrete to say it will be.

atcthrowawayyy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atcthrowawayyy »

RexKrammer wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:47 pm
ProfessionalATC wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:15 am With this in mind does anyone have any updates as to whether or not Nav Canada will start training soon ?
I've heard talk of a generic VFR course running in September, but nothing concrete to say it will be.
If you don't mind me asking, what FIR is this?

RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

YYZ

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

I just called called about a flight service spot, just not interested in that position at all so said no thank you

:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”