CDC release study on masks during covid. Efficacy is 0.5-1.9 percent.

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.
dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: CDC release study on masks during covid. Efficacy is 0.5-1.9 percent.

Post by dialdriver »

montado wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:16 am
dialdriver wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:13 am
Dialdriver it’s clear masks are your religion. I can appreciate that and respect your religious beliefs. I’m happy to let you be. Just don’t try to force your religion on other people.

That quote has nothing to do with the efficacy of masks and everything to do with the perception of masks. I already claimed that since the beginning, that telling people to wear masks was a way to make people believe they are safer. This is not something I would argue different, I already accepted that’s a fact. But it has nothing to do with how effective masks are at preventing the spread of an aerosol spreading disease. Belief that masks stop covid means nothing. Factual evidence on efficacy is science, not people’s perceptions. Very little data to support cloth masks have and substantial impact on cases. It looks like this when you read the research in masks:

Cloth masks might actually be worse than no mask at all
Surgical masks very little efficacy with blocking aerosols.
N95 shows effective when used correctly, n95 should be the standard if we wanted to prevent covid spread with masks.
Respirator very effective at reducing transmission, not really a feasible solution for general public use everywhere.

This is not surprising is it?
Then why did you source the CDC to make your point?
---------- ADS -----------

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

dialdriver wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:23 am
The cdc data shows masks are not very effective. They draw conclusions that masks are effective because they can say whatever they want. Dr fisman said covid deaths in kids is the same as flu deaths, if 70 percent of kids get covid this fall. His conclusion was that we are not doing enough to stop covid based on that data. I looked at the same data and had a different conclusion, and that was if he thinks we are not doing enough to stop covid in kids, why did he not think we were also not doing enough to stop the flu?

It’s funny how we can all look at the same data and make our own conclusions.

So I invite you to not read the experts conclusions but look at the data and draw you own. For example Bangladesh:
E41DCEE1-B7F6-4EAB-BE75-BEE517962702.jpeg
E41DCEE1-B7F6-4EAB-BE75-BEE517962702.jpeg (230.06 KiB) Viewed 3588 times
Here is the raw data. The control group had 1 percent more covid cases than the mask group. Does that result tell you masks are highly effective.

We can read the same study, and make different conclusions. I’m going to say a 1 percent difference shows masks were not very effective. We are all masking for 1 percent difference?

If vaccines prevented 1 percent of covid cases or lower icu by 1 percent, would you say wow the vaccine is very effective? :lol: would you support a mandatory vaccine if it was 1 percent effective? Why would you support mandatory masks for something so ineffective?

I support optional masking for those who feel safer, but that data doesn’t support masking being highly effective so no I don’t support mandatory mask policy.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Here is another one for you. Here is an expert, look at the data. His last tweet is his conclusion, but maybe come up with your own conclusion.
4EB66C95-FB54-42AE-A2E3-885D0C52AA49.jpeg
4EB66C95-FB54-42AE-A2E3-885D0C52AA49.jpeg (650.97 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
933C6633-3EE4-41DD-92D1-A6674B446132.jpeg
933C6633-3EE4-41DD-92D1-A6674B446132.jpeg (652.35 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
45CD93AF-18BA-45EF-AE04-320ECF283D23.jpeg
45CD93AF-18BA-45EF-AE04-320ECF283D23.jpeg (486.55 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
His conclusion is that the data shows we are selfish if we just accept these deaths… how did he come up with this conclusion when flu deaths are about on par with these figures?

Again, two people can look at the same data and make different conclusions. I just can’t figure out why he was inconsistent. After I called him out on that he decided to step down. Hmmm. I take responsibility for fisman leaving the panel. His pay from the teachers union was not enough to make him keep drawing on these ridiculous conclusions. He could no longer live with his crazy inconsistency and people were calling him out for it.

Last edited by montado on Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

montado wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:31 am
We can read the same study, and make different conclusions. I’m going to say a 1 percent difference shows masks were not very effective. We are all masking for 1 percent difference?

If vaccines prevented 1 percent of covid cases or lower icu by 1 percent, would you say wow the vaccine is very effective? :lol: would you support a mandatory vaccine if it was 1 percent effective? Why would you support mandatory masks for something so ineffective?

I support optional masking for those who feel safer, but that data doesn’t support masking being highly effective so no I don’t support mandatory mask policy.
Oh god, you can't do something as simple as read a simple study without cherry-picking it, can you? The reduction in covid was 11.2%. What you're looking at are the figures for "covid like symptoms" which includes basically any kind of fever or bad cold.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

CpnCrunch wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:51 am

Oh god, you can't do something as simple as read a simple study without cherry-picking it, can you? The reduction in covid was 11.2%. What you're looking at are the figures for "covid like symptoms" which includes basically any kind of fever or bad cold.
That was the study, the study was not to do with covid cases. I cherry picked nothing. I looked at the raw data.

The study linked surgical masks with an 11% drop in risk, compared with a 5% drop for cloth.

Funny they come up with this magic math to sound nice. Fact is masks have about a 1 percent effect according to the Bangladesh and cdc study.

Last edited by montado on Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

The cdc data shows masks are not very effective. They draw conclusions that masks are effective because they can say whatever they want. Dr fisman said covid deaths in kids is the same as flu deaths, if 70 percent of kids get covid this fall. His conclusion was that we are not doing enough to stop covid based on that data. I looked at the same data and had a different conclusion, and that was if he thinks we are not doing enough to stop covid in kids, why did he not think we were also not doing enough to stop the flu?

It’s funny how we can all look at the same data and make our own conclusions.

So I invite you to not read the experts conclusions but look at the data and draw you own. For example Bangladesh:
E41DCEE1-B7F6-4EAB-BE75-BEE517962702.jpeg
Here is the raw data. The control group had 1 percent more covid cases than the mask group. Does that result tell you masks are highly effective.

The CDC data shows masks to be highly effective in reduction of Covid deaths. They cite several studies

You started this whole thread saying masks are only 1.9% effective. That is a misrepresentation of the study findings.

The study found that 100 days after a mask mandate, death growth rates fell from 2.8% to .9% - a 1.9 percentage rate reduction - almost a 70% improvement!

See Table 1 in the study you posted when starting this thread.

Every study you source supports masks.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

How to you arrive at 70 percent less deaths when the control group in Bangladesh had 1 percent more covid than the test group? That sounds outrageous. Those are vastly different numbers.

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

montado wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:00 am How to you arrive at 70 percent less deaths when the control group in Bangladesh had 1 percent more covid than the test group? That sounds outrageous. Those are vastly different numbers.
You started this thread citing a CDC study that supports wearing of masks while saying it doesn't, because you made a basic math error.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

dialdriver wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:11 am
montado wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:00 am How to you arrive at 70 percent less deaths when the control group in Bangladesh had 1 percent more covid than the test group? That sounds outrageous. Those are vastly different numbers.
You started this thread citing a CDC study that supports wearing of masks while saying it doesn't, because you made a basic math error.
So your stance, is that without mask policy we would have 70 percent more deaths in Canada. Based on the cdc study and what happened in Bangladesh where there was 1 percent less covid symptoms present with masking? In other words you think masks have saved 19k lives in Canada based on this data?

Just trying to figure out how deep your religious roots are growing in the sand.

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

montado wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:50 am
dialdriver wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:11 am
So your stance, is that without mask policy we would have 70 percent more deaths in Canada. Based on the cdc study and what happened in Bangladesh where there was 1 percent less covid symptoms present with masking? In other words you think masks have saved 19k lives in Canada based on this data?

Just trying to figure out how deep your religious roots are growing in the sand.
An improvement in the death rate from 0.9% to 2.8% is around a 311% improvement, not 70%.

My stance is your math is incorrect. Then you post studies supporting masks claiming they don't support masks. When confronted, you respond with more errors, embellished with personal attacks.

The Bangladesh study you cite concludes this:

"Face masks protect against COVID-19. That’s the conclusion of a gold-standard clinical trial in Bangladesh, which backs up the findings of hundreds of previous observational and laboratory studies".

Here is a link to an article on your study titled:

Face masks for COVID pass their largest test yet

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02457-y

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Dial driver I have a simple question for you.

Canada has had 27k covid deaths and for the vast majority of the pandemic we have had mask mandates across the country.

So the question is: based on your interpretation of the data in these mask studies, how many more covid deaths would Canada have this entire pandemic had we had zero mask mandates nationally?

Just curious how to apply your math. No need to over think it just give a range or a ballpark.

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by WellThatAgedWell »

dialdriver wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:14 am An improvement in the death rate from 0.9% to 2.8% is around a 311% improvement, not 70%.

My stance is your math is incorrect. Then you post studies supporting masks claiming they don't support masks. When confronted, you respond with more errors, embellished with personal attacks.

The Bangladesh study you cite concludes this:

"Face masks protect against COVID-19. That’s the conclusion of a gold-standard clinical trial in Bangladesh, which backs up the findings of hundreds of previous observational and laboratory studies".

Here is a link to an article on your study titled:

Face masks for COVID pass their largest test yet

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02457-y
Dialdriver... your post aged well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAjKQY0_BQA&t=4188s
The Bangladesh study has been corrected. So much for your buddy who's a masking expert.

Fools

Two years of posts that aged like a fine cheddar.
WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health- ... in-quebec/

https://covid-19.ontario.ca/

Are masks supposed to make Covid worse?

The province with mandatory masking has higher daily deaths, higher hospitalization, higher daily case counts.

piperdriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by piperdriver »

Our government is truly delusional. You don't need a mask to protect yourself, just put down the fork. We know obesity is the real killer when it comes to Covid 19 (and many other diseases). If you want to really protect yourself from Covid 19 maybe substitute that pop and chips for a chicken and salad. Exercise a half an hour a day, walking running, maybe hop on the bike get some fresh air. You don't need to be a top tier athlete just get off couch and do something. It's not rocket science.

IMO the unvaccinated never clogged up hospitals and ICU's it was obese unhealthy people. This has been happening for decades long before COVID and will continue in the future. Why? Because many people have terrible diets and are lazy, simple as that.

WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

C677601E-4578-4078-A779-2F68108061A5.jpeg
C677601E-4578-4078-A779-2F68108061A5.jpeg (342.21 KiB) Viewed 2431 times
February 2021 to April 2021 cases increase by 4x with no change in public health guidelines
- media narrative, “get vaccinated, it’s 90 percent effective”
- Dr. Fauci, “wear two masks at the same time!”
- mask religion thinkers “we know masks aren’t perfect but they save millions of lives!”

February 2022 to April 2022 cases increase by 2x with most places dropping mask mandates.
- media narrative, “cases explode as masks are removed!”
- mask religion thinkers “we knew if we removed masking Covid cases would increase”. Just like the covidians say “I’m so glad I got my 3rd booster because I got Covid and it would have been so much worse if I didn’t get the shot” :lol:

I think we could make a case that masking policy has done nothing beneficial for public health.
piperdriver wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:06 am Our government is truly delusional.
I think it’s intentional.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

But good thing we banned plastic drinking straws. All those millions and millions of Covid masks in the ditches and parking lots are recyclable and/or biodegradable right? :wink:

Let’s Go Brandon
WellThatAgedWell
Rank 6
Rank 6

dialdriver wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:57 am The CDC data shows masks to be highly effective in reduction of Covid deaths. They cite several studies

You started this whole thread saying masks are only 1.9% effective. That is a misrepresentation of the study findings.

The study found that 100 days after a mask mandate, death growth rates fell from 2.8% to .9% - a 1.9 percentage rate reduction - almost a 70% improvement!

Look who follows the same science as you!
A7052E5B-807A-4583-A952-3E20BBB8F26F.jpeg
A7052E5B-807A-4583-A952-3E20BBB8F26F.jpeg (194.83 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
Mask for life!

Question, why is Quebec not doing 70 percent better than Ontario with their mandatory masking… why is it the libitards want to bring masking back?

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

WellThatAgedWell wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:23 pm
dialdriver wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:57 am The CDC data shows masks to be highly effective in reduction of Covid deaths. They cite several studies

Look who follows the same science as you!

A7052E5B-807A-4583-A952-3E20BBB8F26F.jpeg

Mask for life!

Question, why is Quebec not doing 70 percent better than Ontario with their mandatory masking… why is it the libitards want to bring masking back?
No comment on your grossly misinterpreted conclusion? Just more deflection with a libtard thrown in for good measure.

Martcostan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Martcostan »

It all depends on what kind of medical mask you use. Surgical masks and respirators are much more effective at preventing infection with respiratory infections, including influenza and coronavirus. Unlike the usual three-layer mask, there are four layers in the surgical. There is also a filter and an anti-liquid layer between the inner and outer ones. Due to these internal inserts, the surgical mask is safer. And respirators have special protective filters. Thus, masks with improved protection are very effective in protecting against infections.

Return to “Covid”