CDC release study on masks during covid. Efficacy is 0.5-1.9 percent.

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.
dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: CDC release study on masks during covid. Efficacy is 0.5-1.9 percent.

Post by dialdriver »

montado wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:27 am

No one is having cold and flu because masks are stopping that right?
That is correct.
---------- ADS -----------

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

dialdriver wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:39 am

That is correct.
This is why we should mask forever. 100 percent on board. Let’s do it! I haven’t seen anyone get sick since masks were introduced.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

montado wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:47 am This is why we should mask forever. 100 percent on board. Let’s do it! I haven’t seen anyone get sick since masks were introduced.
Why is it such a big deal to you montado?

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

CpnCrunch wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:08 am
montado wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:47 am This is why we should mask forever. 100 percent on board. Let’s do it! I haven’t seen anyone get sick since masks were introduced.
It's really not a big deal.

Is it a big deal to you? Are you vaccinated? Would you get on a bus with everyone maskless? What is your risk assessment on that?

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it does it make a sound? If you get on a bus with thirty people on it and none of them have covid but they all wear masks, did the mask stop covid from spreading?

It is really not a big deal at all, I just differ from many peoples opinions as I think mask policy is idiotic. But no its not a big deal.

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

montado wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:47 am
dialdriver wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:39 am

That is correct.
This is why we should mask forever. 100 percent on board. Let’s do it! I haven’t seen anyone get sick since masks were introduced.
Grandstanding does not make an effective argument.

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

montado wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:14 am
CpnCrunch wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:08 am
It's really not a big deal.

Is it a big deal to you? Are you vaccinated? Would you get on a bus with everyone maskless? What is your risk assessment on that?

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it does it make a sound? If you get on a bus with thirty people on it and none of them have covid but they all wear masks, did the mask stop covid from spreading?

It is really not a big deal at all, I just differ from many peoples opinions as I think mask policy is idiotic. But no its not a big deal.
Why do surgical teams wear masks?

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Why do pilots wear a shirt and tie. I bet the plane falls out of the sky if they don't.

Of course a surgeon or dentist wearing a mask makes sense. The surgical mask wont stop aerosols from transmitting but it will stop large droplets from spreading. And that's good enough for me to say I want my dentist to wear a mask. Unfortunately if I have covid, my dentist working in my mouth is at high risk for transmission, even with the mask they wear. I'm also at high risk of transmission from the dentist, because his surgical mask wont stop aerosols.

So there you have it, we don't have to debate that argument for the 10th time.

I said mask policy is idiotic... as in not the things we have been doing for decades... this is not the mask policy I'm talking about... funny how people come out to debate and they act like I'm changing the direction the planet spins....I'm debating the new mask policy.. the mask policy that was never implemented for decades of flu seasons, but apparently today as basically eradicated the flu.

This is the mask policy that applies to the university of Waterloo study that says 90 percent of aerosols escape from cloth masks. The best science today says covid spreads by aerosols. So i am just curious what that translates to in how effective masking is? How much covid transmission was stopped?

I used google to find your answer to your question
dialdriver wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:22 am Why do surgical teams wear masks?
For a century, the surgical mask has been the symbol of a safe and sanitary medical environment. The problem: researchers don't really know if that's true. With the H1N1 influenza pandemic spreading every day, experts are still debating what type of mask to wear and how much protection that mask truly provides, particularly for those at the front lines of transmission -- healthcare workers. Major health agencies, including the World Health Organization, the CDC, and others, have offered confusing and sometimes contradictory guidelines. Moreover, those guidelines differ for healthcare workers and ordinary citizens worried about the spread of H1N1. Even among healthcare professionals, there are different guidelines for medical wards and operating rooms. Still, most healthcare professionals have concluded that, at the very worst, a mask can't hurt, even if it may provide a false sense of safety.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectious ... trol/16278

The evidence is weak, masks are a "symbol of safe and sanitary", and masks cant hurt. So shoulder shrug... If people feel better with masks, it doesnt matter what the science says... just go with it. Placebo, the same reason pilots wear a uniform, because if I walk on a plane with ripped jeans and a t-shirt panic might just happen.

The funny thing is this is research from a hospital setting with trained professionals. If masking in the medical field is also somewhat controversial with the science, what makes you think telling everyone to pretend they are sick and to wear a fake mask will derive at better results?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

You waste a lot of time and words worrying and writing about masks. I don't mind them at all - they hide my acne, my crooked teeth, and my RBF.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

photofly wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:47 am You waste a lot of time and words worrying and writing about masks. I don't mind them at all - they hide my acne, my crooked teeth, and my RBF.
Well that great that you mentioned the reasons you love masks but none of those are things to do with why masks are mandatory. I would like to hear stories about people who wore masks and it saved their life from covid. Yet all these masked people keep dying and keep ending up in hospitals at the same pace as those who don't wear masks. Maybe you didn't know this but it was totally optional for you to wear a mask for all the reasons you stated prior to covid.

Does anyone have a good reason to wear masks besides how trendy it is? Is everyone just in to the radical acceptance and don't care for intellectual ideas? Are we all just Bible thumping covid policy believers, doing this because it's God's plan? It's funny how covid is like religion. Lots of people following and many of them are the anti religion type. Somehow the religion of covid jives with them.

loudmouth
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by loudmouth »

I wear a mask because it's easy.

I'm not a scientist, I have no idea how effective they are. But it's not hard to do, and if it helps even 5% then whatever.

All the people trying to figure out ways to NOT wear a mask are the problem. If my cousin who has CF can wear a mask for the last year so can you.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

montado wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:12 pm

Does anyone have a good reason to wear masks besides how trendy it is? Is everyone just in to the radical acceptance and don't care for intellectual ideas? Are we all just Bible thumping covid policy believers, doing this because it's God's plan? It's funny how covid is like religion. Lots of people following and many of them are the anti religion type. Somehow the religion of covid jives with them.
Maybe because they are effective? The first real-world study found they are 9-12% effective:

https://ncrc.jhsph.edu/research/the-imp ... angladesh/

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

CpnCrunch wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:52 pm
montado wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:12 pm

Maybe because they are effective? The first real-world study found they are 9-12% effective:

https://ncrc.jhsph.edu/research/the-imp ... angladesh/
Based on this study will you wear a mask forever now? How effective are masks at preventing covid in vaccinated people and why are vaccinated people masking?

I find it absolutely hilarious how the same people who will say my study is garbage, will post non peer reviewed studies out of Bangladesh to prove their point.

Well folks here you have it masks work! Wear your mask forever.

Last edited by montado on Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

montado wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:12 pm would like to hear stories about people who wore masks and it saved their life from covid.
No, no you wouldn't. Nothing would displease you more to find out that masks actually work. Your whole schtick would be up in smoke!

You're employing a basic rhetorical device to imply that because nobody can point out the individuals who have benefitted from us wearing masks, they must not exist. It's like saying "where are the viruses!? Do you see any viruses? Point to them! I can't see any viruses, so there aren't any!"

Of course you're too smart to believe your own point, so one wonders why you persist.
Yet all these masked people keep dying and keep ending up in hospitals at the same pace as those who don't wear masks.
If everyone wears a mask, then everyone ends up in hospital at a lower rate. Masks are a public health measure, not a treatment or prophylactic.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

photofly wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:15 pm
montado wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:12 pm would like to hear stories about people who wore masks and it saved their life from covid.
No, no you wouldn't. Nothing would displease you more to find out that masks actually work. Your whole schtick would be up in smoke!

You're employing a basic rhetorical device to imply that because nobody can point out the individuals who have benefitted from us wearing masks, they must not exist. It's like saying "where are the viruses!? Do you see any viruses? Point to them! I can't see any viruses, so there aren't any!"

Of course you're too smart to believe your own point, so one wonders why you persist.
Yet all these masked people keep dying and keep ending up in hospitals at the same pace as those who don't wear masks.
If everyone wears a mask, then everyone ends up in hospital at a lower rate. Masks are a public health measure, not a treatment or prophylactic.
The whole argument of the pro maskers is that masks work when people don't have covid. If inviteed onto a bus with covid positive people all wearing masks they would all decline because masks are not good enough. I'm vaccinated, I would go on a bus with someone covid positive because vaccines work. The mask not so much. I definitely wouldn't go on a bus with masked positive covid cases if I was not vaccinated because masks don't work.

If masks are so effective, why is the pandemic still on? We have been masking for over a year and nothing to show for it 😂

loudmouth
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by loudmouth »

You're an idiot.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

loudmouth wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:02 pm You're an idiot.
Wow this guy just joined to make this post. I must have really struck a nerve.

Let me guess, you are vaccinated, you won’t go in your parents house, and you wear a mask outdoors while you walk trails with no other people in sight.

The rate of new accounts all posting is quite hilarious. Have to wonder who’s Alt account this is so they can tag team the chat boards.

loudmouth
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by loudmouth »

montado wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:06 pm
loudmouth wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:02 pm You're an idiot.
Wow this guy just joined to make this post. I must have really struck a nerve.

Let me guess, you are vaccinated, you won’t go in your parents house, and you wear a mask outdoors while you walk trails with no other people in sight.

The rate of new accounts all posting is quite hilarious. Have to wonder who’s Alt account this is so they can tag team the chat boards.
Nah I joined to shit on acpa. You're just a bonus.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

montado wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:14 pm

Based on this study will you wear a mask forever now? How effective are masks at preventing covid in vaccinated people and why are vaccinated people masking?

I find it absolutely hilarious how the same people who will say my study is garbage, will post non peer reviewed studies out of Bangladesh to prove their point.

Well folks here you have it masks work! Wear your mask forever.
Sure, it's not peer reviewed yet, but so far it is the ONLY study we have that tests real-life mask use (not mandates). So it beats sweet FA, which is what you have come up with.

I'm sure you can get answers to your questions if you can be bothered to do some basic google research.

loudmouth
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by loudmouth »

Only a shitty person would make such a big deal about wearing a mask to potentially protect others. Literally the EASIEST thing in the would to do next to washing your hands. And turn it into a discussion like this one.

Hope I never share a flight deck with you Montano. Hopefully after Oct31 that won't be a problem anymore.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

montado wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:22 pm
photofly wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:15 pm

The whole argument of the pro maskers is that masks work when people don't have covid. If inviteed onto a bus with covid positive people all wearing masks they would all decline because masks are not good enough. I'm vaccinated, I would go on a bus with someone covid positive because vaccines work. The mask not so much. I definitely wouldn't go on a bus with masked positive covid cases if I was not vaccinated because masks don't work.

If masks are so effective, why is the pandemic still on? We have been masking for over a year and nothing to show for it 😂
Once again, your rhetoric presents a false dichotomy: masks work vs. masks don’t work.

They work to some extent; how much is arguable, but even a tiny bit is worthwhile. You have no idea how much we have to show for it.

Return to “Covid”