IFR: Balance Unchanged

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ImmaPilot96
Rank 0
Rank 0

IFR: Balance Unchanged

Post by ImmaPilot96 »

I fly pipeline inspection aircraft in the Edmonton area and whenever I am flying out of Edmonton I hear the clearance/ground controller tell an aircraft that their "balance is unchanged". I assume this is coupled with an amendment to a clearance but I was wondering what it meant exactly. I am currently not instrument rated but I am just curious what it means.
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

FL_CH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: IFR: Balance Unchanged

Post by FL_CH »

Basically means “the rest of the [previous] clearance is unchanged”

"Then from 1000 ft AGL until the final capture altitude, the A/C accelerates backwards up along the altitude profile with idle thrust"
wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

It’s exactly as you predicted, theres an amendment to the IFR clearance and instead of giving the whole clearance again, just give the part that’s changed and say “balanced unchanged”.

RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

To add to what the other replies have stated with an example.

Say someone on the ground is given an IFR Clearance out of CYQF departing Runway 35 for CYVR.
Upon getting release from the IFR controller the Tower controller is given the amendment, "turn left heading 270".
The Tower controller would then relay this to the pilot as "Amendment to your clearance, on departure turn left heading 270, balance unchanged."

Any other altitude restrictions such as initial climb and further waypoints and airways routings remain the same as what was previously given to the pilot. The pilot would fly heading 270 instead of the SID heading.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”