Taildragger Noseover/Groundloop Thread

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Taildragger Noseover/Groundloop Thread

Post by pelmet »

C-GSCE, a privately registered Cessna 170B, was conducting a proficiency training flight from
High River (CEN4), AB with one pilot onboard. On landing RWY 15 (gravel surface) at CEN4, the
aircraft nosed over at very low speed and came to rest upside down causing damage to the
propeller, both wings and the empennage. The pilot exited the aircraft without injury.
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Taildragger Noseover/Groundloop Thread

Post by PilotDAR »

Yup, I believe it. One was flipped right in front of me, while I hovered, holding short for his landing for him to pass in front of me. He did not pass in front, he flipped in front, so I landed next to him, and helped he and his instructor out. Only pride and a 170B were injured. The instructor should have disallowed the application of the brakes during rollout for initial tailwheel training. After chatting with the instructor, I was not left with the impression that he was very experienced either.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Waiting to hear which killer item(s) should be double-checked to prevent this kind of accident :-D

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Check that the brakes don't work!

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Flying a J3 off grass, the only time I use the brakes is for run up!

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

You mean you actually had breaks that worked on a J-3 -- what a luxury :mrgreen:

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
TrilliumFlt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TrilliumFlt »

I fly on floats all Summer and skis all Winter what are these "brake" things that you speak of :?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

They're those funny round pedals under your heels, I didn't like them, so I only used them for runups.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

photofly wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:39 am Waiting to hear which killer item(s) should be double-checked to prevent this kind of accident :-D
Thought between the two of us, I might add something useful. Pilots of these aircraft need to understand that the amount of brake applied for a given amount of pressure may vary not only from type to type but from aircraft to aircraft on the same type. It could be a different type of brake unit, such as a mod(upgrade). Jump in the different aircraft and use the same amount of brake application that you are used to in the other aircraft of the same type and you might nose over.

I was a member of a club on a certain tailwheel type and the president was telling me about how grabby the brakes were on that type and that one member flipped his aircraft over while taxing(apparently taxiing fairly quickly and then suddenly wanting to stop). It seemed odd to me because on the serial number I was flying, I needed enough brake pressure application during the run-up(to keep from moving) that my legs were literally tired. I made a mental note(and written as well in my review notes) to be very careful if I ever fly a different serial number of that type.

Another bad idea is brake application while the tailwheel is still airborne on a wheel landing. Perhaps it can be useful in certain rare situations by certain skilled pilots but I tried it once to make a taxiway and fortunately got away scratch-free with a good lesson.

TrilliumFlt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TrilliumFlt »

PilotDAR wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:11 pm They're those funny round pedals under your heels, I didn't like them, so I only used them for runups.
Ah man I don't even get to use them for that :(

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

pelmet wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:13 pm
photofly wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:39 am Waiting to hear which killer item(s) should be double-checked to prevent this kind of accident :-D
Thought between the two of us, I might add something useful.
Humour is its own reward.

I have groundlooped twice. Once on a taxiway when a brake cable snapped and the aircraft spun slowly off onto the grass. The other time was after after an engine failure immediately after the "go" part of a touch-and-go, and groundlooping meant the aircraft (and I) avoided rolling off the end of the runway into Lake Ontario. There was no damage either time.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

Runway 15 at CEN4 is an upslope runway, so any reasonable landing in a 170b should hardly need any braking. However since the gravel does cross the asphalt be extra careful braking, as the difference between the braking ability of the airplane on one or the other is substantial. One wonders if the pilot was trying to stop for the taxiway to avoid a minor back track.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

valleyboy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:30 am
You mean you actually had breaks that worked on a J-3 -- what a luxury :mrgreen:
Disc brake conversion :)

I didn't consider the original ones brakes, wouldn't even hold a run up.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Squaretail wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:46 pm One wonders if the pilot was trying to stop for the taxiway to avoid a minor back track.
Making the taxiway seems to be an issue. I see that the incident aircraft was doing 'proficiency training'. You never know what someone else might do. I was checking a guy out in an extremely easy taildragger that I would have thought near impossible to groundloop it was so docile. Guess what. My only groundloop when he suddenly decided to turn around to backtrack at too high an groundspeed. Around we went. Checkout incomplete.

Another guy at a nearby airport flipped a plane over braking to make a taxiway.

Just be patient.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

In my experience aircraft that flip over at a slow speed (I assume that means when after wing and tail are stalled) roll out means a nose heavy c of g and possibly missing ballast. If not you are working at becoming inverted.

Ground loops on the other hand still mystify me why people are so afraid of them and why they have taken on this evil persona.

I have likely completed more ground loops than most. I can't really remember how many I have done but certainly more than a dozen. All were controlled and done on purpose. Not one aircraft bent.

I, like many other here did learn to fly on and flew conventional gear for years. Thinking back I never even heard the phrase "ground loop" while I was building time my licenses (up to commercial). Flying a tail dragger was second nature. We just got in a flew. I guess to some they would think ignorance is bliss. Maybe not thinking about it and not getting fixated is the secret.

To me a ground loop is just one more tool that can be used to save your ass. It's not the monster that seems to be the worry of most today when it comes to flying a tail dragger.

I did find during recent DC3T training and line indoc that most "modern" pilots and products of the current schools, did not understand control inputs required for flying "old" aircraft. Especially ailerons.

nuff said --- :mrgreen:

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

My ‘39 Luscombe had a major repair in 1947 after being ground looped on a student pilot’s first solo landing. I don’t think everyone understood the right control inputs for “old” aircraft even back when they weren’t old.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

valleyboy wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:23 pm most "modern" pilots and products of the current schools, did not understand control inputs required for flying "old" aircraft. Especially ailerons.
^THIS!!!

Completely agree with you.

I’ve only ground looped once... slow taxing speed... wasn’t quick enough with the rudder/brake. (Full aileron deflection too!) Nothing damaged but it was a humbling experience in an experimental aircraft (Super STOL) while taxing in a 25 knot cross wind in order to get to the active where the wind was right down the pipe...

One of those “doh!” moments for sure!

Regards,

TPC

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

photofly wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:33 pm My ‘39 Luscombe had a major repair in 1947 after being ground looped on a student pilot’s first solo landing. I don’t think everyone understood the right control inputs for “old” aircraft even back when they weren’t old.
Indeed. On perusal of many journey logs, I think I have yet to find a tail dragged that hasn’t sustained damage in its past. Lots of the time it’s well before I started flying. Some hardly made it out of the factory. So the “good ol’ days” were perhaps not so “good”. When you stack on top of that how many rodeo injuries probably didn’t make it into the book, the past maybe isn’t so rosy.

When it comes to flipping over, besides the few events that maybe involve some softer than expected surfaces or the unfortunate discovery of badger lairs, feet on the brakes too soon, too much or both, is generally the culprit. Especially on paved surfaces. Show me a flipped taildragger, and I’ll show you some skid marks. Pun intended.

Ground loops are a different matter. Not all are the same, though I get why folks afraid of them. As time goes on, the costlier they will get. Not to mention that in some aviation circles you might never live that down and your great grand children will bear your shame. In the big scheme of getting personally hurt though, the risk is low.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:19 pm I’ve only ground looped once... slow taxing speed... wasn’t quick enough with the rudder/brake. (Full aileron deflection too!) Nothing damaged but it was a humbling experience in an experimental aircraft (Super STOL) while taxing in a 25 knot cross wind in order to get to the active where the wind was right down the pipe...
Taxiing an experimental Super STOL in a 25 knot crosswind. If one insists on making such a decision, a wingwalker or two can prevent an incident.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

pelmet wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:50 pm
TeePeeCreeper wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:19 pm I’ve only ground looped once... slow taxing speed... wasn’t quick enough with the rudder/brake. (Full aileron deflection too!) Nothing damaged but it was a humbling experience in an experimental aircraft (Super STOL) while taxing in a 25 knot cross wind in order to get to the active where the wind was right down the pipe...
Taxiing an experimental Super STOL in a 25 knot crosswind. If one insists on making such a decision, a wingwalker or two can prevent an incident.
*yawn*

Just had to add your two cents in didn’t you?
FFS, why do you feel the need to diminish another poster’s real world experiences reiterated for other readers?!?

(How many hours do you have on type since you obviously seem to know more about this fairly rare type of flying contraption than I do!?!?)

I’d like to add that this was during an insurance check out with a guy whom was trained and is a demo pilot for the manufacturing company that makes the kit!

Guess I’ll just have to add a second Wx check to my “killer item checklist” right Pelmet?!?

TPC

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”