Bad press from the CBC

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

who me ?
Rank 3
Rank 3

Bad press from the CBC

Post by who me ? »

---------- ADS -----------

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Bad press from the CBC

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

So what? That woman at the end is whining because "rich people" don't have to follow Trudeau's hotel punishment rules by paying for 3 nights? Instead they dish out 10x that for a private jet flight, so her argument doesn't really hold water.

Another pointless article by the CBC.

LTR123
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LTR123 »

I love the CBC propagandists. They interview a woman who was away at a foreign university studying, and she has the nerve to complain about 'inequality', as if just anyone gets to go away to a foreign country to take a program for a couple of years....

Then they interview a doctor who makes $5 or 6 hundred k and she too talks about inequality. The CMA and OMA (i.e. the doctor's unions) want to keep the country shut down for another six months while their union members continue to bring in outlandish salaries, yet they go on about 'inequality'.

All of this hypocrisy without batting an eyelid. Oh, and of course, the public sector trash at the CBC also all earn six figures and haven't been impacted in any way by the pandemic, but 'inequality' is always on their agenda.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:41 am So what? That broad at the end is whining because "rich people" don't have to follow Trudeau's hotel punishment rules by paying for 3 nights? Instead they dish out 10x that for a private jet flight, so her argument doesn't really hold water.

Another pointless article by the CBC.
People have to pay for the hotel regardless. The rapid tests passengers are performing give an immediate response versus the 3 day turnaround going through the government one. No one should have to quarantine in these hotels if they have an adequate plan to quarantine upon arrival and test negative. Not only that, the program is poorly run and is causing outbreaks within the hotel staff, but they won't close the hotels, following Peel bylaw regulations regarding operations wuth significant outbreaks because - it's ESSENTIAL.

These measures also came into place shortly after Christmas, when many public figures were chastized due to holiday traveling to - surprise surprise - holiday beach destinations. Not only that, but many were purposefully deceitful regarding their itineraries.

In addition, 100% of the people I've repatriated over the last 3 months are at least partially vaccinated, with more than 60% being fully vaccinated. The hotel feels more like a punishment than a solution - effectively to discourage travel because no one can get properly vaccinated here (and NO, mixing and matching vaccines or waiting months between doses is NOT an effective solution - Trudeau will pay at the polls for his failure). Could you imagine the outcry if fully vaccinated people here could travel without restriction like they can in the U.S - the public would call for Trudeau's head.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Well you can’t really say that some management companies Aren’t taking advantage of the exemptions to recreational or GA flight. The rules are the rules and if there’s a problem with them they should be changed.
It’s ironic how these private flights circumventing quarantine hotel stays are being facilitated by said management and recreational/ ftu departments while normal air carriers are in the worst drought since the wright brothers. Usually it’s the other way around in a downturn, does this make any sense towards economic bias? Sure it does, the mega rich can continue to fly while the majority need to buckle down for the long haul.

Let’s be real here, the business world doesn’t need corporate flight with modern communication technology and most of this flying is recreational written off as a business expense for said billionaires, has been since the dawn of flight.

The whole thing is a farce, these private helicopters being flown just over the border from Kitchener / Hamilton Region for passengers to pick up their personal vehicles just dropped off USA side hours beforehand to drive to Florida or Arizona is another example of this loophole being obviously well used.

This society inequality is inherent in capitalism and not a new issue just the symptoms during the pandemic are a little more prevalent.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

I like how they mention they tried contacting a management company

“ Mississauga, Ont.-based Chartright Air Group is among the dozens of private jet companies represented in the data. It did not respond to multiple CBC requests for comment, but on LinkedIn it advertises a one-hour PCR test upon arrival that the company says allows its clients to skip quarantine hotels. ”

Isn’t that a BIT of a stretch assertion of federal COVID19 border crossing guidelines at the moment? As far as I know CBSA determines what and who is essential travelling and it’s per case scenario who goes to the hotel.

I myself work cross border and have counterparts doing the same that were essential and also did the 3 day hotel as well as 14 day self isolation with the 8 or ten day retest. It’s a pain in the rear right now and not even worth it right now for myself. Anyone else working cross border doing the 3 day hotel on arrival?

It further reads “ CBC News reached out to multiple private jet companies to seek comment and clarification on their testing procedures. All but one declined to respond or comment.

Last edited by PitchLink on Sun May 16, 2021 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Wouldn't the hotel skipping simply mean that you get your test results back earlier and therefore can go to your place for final quarantine earlier. If the government tests came back earlier, the same thing would apply.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

pelmet wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:23 pm Wouldn't the hotel skipping simply mean that you get your test results back earlier and therefore can go to your place for final quarantine earlier. If the government tests came back earlier, the same thing would apply.
That's exactly what they are doing. They all pay for the hotel, as its required, but they get their results prior to or just after checking in and go home. They do all the tests as required - pre departure/landing/10 days after.

And again, most if not all arriving bizav passengers are fully vaccinated.

Soo...what's the freakin issue?

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:36 pm
pelmet wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:23 pm Wouldn't the hotel skipping simply mean that you get your test results back earlier and therefore can go to your place for final quarantine earlier. If the government tests came back earlier, the same thing would apply.
That's exactly what they are doing. They all pay for the hotel, as its required, but they get their results prior to or just after checking in and go home. They do all the tests as required - pre departure/landing/10 days after.

So they pay for the hotel but don’t have to check in? Kinda confused with your reply

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

PitchLink wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:14 pm

So they pay for the hotel but don’t have to check in? Kinda confused with your reply
My understanding is, if they get a negative covid PCR test result, which they get within 1-3 hours after landing, they are now able to go home and continue to quarantine. The hotel is to wait for the results of the same test that would be given to the travelling public, but the turnaround time is 72 hours for results. Hence the 3 day minimum.

If they are positive (which I have never flown a person who has tested positive - as I would be required to quarantine), then they have to spend 10 days at the hotel, with a 2nd test at day 10 I believe. I'm surprised they haven't turned a wing of T1 or T3 into a testing center with a lab to do rapid testing and get passengers home and on their way.

And yes, as per current regulations, they have to pay for the 3 days at the hotel whether they stay or not.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

I checked with a contact in the know about this. Once again, it is fake news by the CBC.

The CBC uses the power of suggestion to give the appearance that something bad is happening with rapid covid tests when in fact, all that is happening is that some people are paying more to get their results back more quickly.

Then the classic CBC fake news ending. They find a poor little victim(who just so happened to leave the country when the government and CBC admonish us all not to) who decided to be frugal and not pay for more rapid test results. She whines about the two class system that treats her unfairly when she leaves the country against all government advice(which might just put her in a different class but CBC will ignore that for their ultimate goal).

So once again, what is the reason for all these types of articles from the CBC. Remember something....the reporter makes her living off your earnings(also known as taxes). In fact she probably does quite well living off the money you earned. And just like the rest of the workers at the CBC, she is determined to continue doing that. So how to continue doing that? More taxes. How? Demonize those that have enough money to easily afford a rapid test(who probably earned that money creating tens of thousands of private sector jobs - including pilots) to influence people to vote for parties that will raise taxes on the more affluent. Of course, they end up raising taxes on the middle class as well.

Fake news. Don't underestimate the desperation of some to keep their income support from you, the average Canadian.

Last edited by pelmet on Fri May 14, 2021 6:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I don't see how pilots here can fault the news to spread false information if no private operator wants to make a statement. Not sure if they have all the details right, and the last paragraph was quite irrelevant, but the general gist of things seems to be correct. Whether that's just a loophole or illegal behavior, that's for someone else to decide, and will probably depend on the specifics of each flight.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

pelmet wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:27 pm I checked with a contact in the know about this. Once again, it is fake news by the CBC.

The CBC uses the power of suggestion to give the appearance that something bad is happening with rapid covid tests when in fact, all that is happening is that some people are paying more to get their results back more quickly.

Then the classic CBC fake news ending. They find a poor little victim(who just so happened to leave the country when the government and CBC admonish us all not to) who decided to be frugal and not pay for more rapid test results. She whines about the two class system that treats her unfairly when she leaves the country against all government advice(which might just put her in a different class but CBC will ignore that for their ultimate goal).

So once again, what is the reason for all these types of articles from the CBC. Remember something....the reporter makes her living off your earnings(also known as taxes). In fact she probably does quite well living off the money you earned. And just like the rest of the workers at the CBC, she is determined to continue doing that. So how to continue doing that? More taxes. How? Demonize those that have enough money to easily afford a rapid test(who probably earned that money creating tens of thousands of private sector jobs - including pilots) to influence people to vote for parties that will raise taxes on the more affluent. Of course, they end up raising taxes on the middle class as well.

Fake news. Don't underestimate the desperation of some to keep their income support from you, the average Canadian.

Although I would tend to agree with the “spirit” of your message in general... that’s right my friend, for once we may just be on the same page...

Forgive me for saying that I find it ironic that you are calling it “fake news” after prefacing that comment by not disclosing your “trusted source”?

Back to watching Fox News....! :)

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:23 pm
pelmet wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:27 pm I checked with a contact in the know about this. Once again, it is fake news by the CBC.

Although I would tend to agree with the “spirit” of your message in general... that’s right my friend, for once we may just be on the same page...

Forgive me for saying that I find it ironic that you are calling it “fake news” after prefacing that comment by not disclosing your “trusted source”?

Back to watching Fox News....! :)
Wouldn't it be ironic if we agreed on much more than we disagreed. I see a wonderful relationship blooming :partyman: (or politely agree to disagree on some things).

While my term was 'contact', not 'trusted source', I do trust the contact to be providing honest info. The pilot is associated with corporate aviation with experience flying in the field. Obviously, I am not going to name the person except to use the term that the major news networks use(which they say is credible in reporting reporting)......"an anonymous source".

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

digits_ wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:11 pm I don't see how pilots here can fault the news to spread false information if no private operator wants to make a statement. Not sure if they have all the details right, and the last paragraph was quite irrelevant, but the general gist of things seems to be correct. Whether that's just a loophole or illegal behavior, that's for someone else to decide, and will probably depend on the specifics of each flight.
Why do you think more people are wearing there own recording devices onto any sound stage....Hint, Hint it is so they can refute any misquotations, or answers out of context. ie: release the full unedited recording to show the Journos are full of ecrement

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:44 am
PitchLink wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:14 pm

My understanding is, if they get a negative covid PCR test result, which they get within 1-3 hours after landing, they are now able to go home and continue to quarantine. The hotel is to wait for the results of the same test that would be given to the travelling public, but the turnaround time is 72 hours for results. Hence the 3 day minimum.

If they are positive (which I have never flown a person who has tested positive - as I would be required to quarantine), then they have to spend 10 days at the hotel, with a 2nd test at day 10 I believe. I'm surprised they haven't turned a wing of T1 or T3 into a testing center with a lab to do rapid testing and get passengers home and on their way.

And yes, as per current regulations, they have to pay for the 3 days at the hotel whether they stay or not.
Ya everything you’ve said verifies everything I was told from my cross shift. What a pain in the a$$! Hence why I’m not states side for work till things settle down, not worth it, the guys that came out had to do the test hotel and an 8 or ten day repeat test I think they said even after the negative test!

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

digits_ wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:11 pm I don't see how pilots here can fault the news to spread false information if no private operator wants to make a statement. Not sure if they have all the details right, and the last paragraph was quite irrelevant, but the general gist of things seems to be correct. Whether that's just a loophole or illegal behavior, that's for someone else to decide, and will probably depend on the specifics of each flight.
It says:

“ Mississauga, Ont.-based Chartright Air Group is among the dozens of private jet companies represented in the data. It did not respond to multiple CBC requests for comment, but on LinkedIn it advertises a one-hour PCR test upon arrival that the company says allows its clients to skip quarantine hotels. ”

Further:

“ CBC News reached out to multiple private jet companies to seek comment and clarification on their testing procedures. All but one declined to respond or comment. 

Sounds like all operators answered CBC’s questions short of Chartright the way it reads?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:42 am
It says:

Further:

“ CBC News reached out to multiple private jet companies to seek comment and clarification on their testing procedures. All but one declined to respond or comment. 

Sounds like all operators answered CBC’s questions short of Chartright the way it reads?
They all declined to respond. Except for one.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

digits_ wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:46 am
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:42 am
It says:

Further:

They all declined to respond. Except for one.

Well according to CBC you’re correct, was reading it wrong apparently lol

Last edited by Bug_Stomper_01 on Sun May 16, 2021 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
whatsitdoingnow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by whatsitdoingnow »

No, it says all but one declined, or put differently- only one responded.

Let’s face it, these companies are smart enough not to say anything to this reporter. Based on her report, she would likely manipulate whatever they said anyway. Better to leave this straw clutching drivel expire into yesterday’s news and move on.

Return to “Corporate”