Air Canada granted special stock awards and $10-million in bonuses while negotiating government bailout..

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Air Canada granted special stock awards and $10-million in bonuses while negotiating government bailout..

Post by bobcaygeon »

McKinley wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:46 pm Pretty deplorable if you ask me. Every one of these so called “ economic crisis” is the same employees take massive pay cuts or lose their jobs all together while CEO’s reap the rewards.. Cronie Capitalism at its finest.

The private sector is a race to turn bottom..
Like it or not Calin has demonstrated over the past decade he's quite capable of managing AC to the massive profits even if he had to drag some labour groups kicking and screaming. COVID-19 isn't something anyone could have planned for but the difference between having a good management team vs a bad one is the same as having Al Haynes/Sully at the controls instead of the Air France A330 crew. A survivable crash vs a smoking hole.

As we've seen many times in AC's and other airlines history, bad management can cancel out all of the front line staff's hard work in a blink of an eye.

The going rate for good management is very high and unlike the Leafs, AC has made it past the first round in all of the last 5 years.
---------- ADS -----------

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Air Canada granted special stock awards and $10-million in bonuses while negotiating government bailout..

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

People like to use the Leafs as an example of an organization that is not doing well.

The Maple Leafs make a shit tonne of money and will continue to do so for years to come.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/196 ... ince-2006/

palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

The Leafs probably make more money being the perpetual losers than winners. Joke is on the fans. Very Canadian.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Does taking a giant government low interest loan contructed from public taxes count as good management that needs to be rewarded 10M, particuarly after beating the labour groups into the ground by hanging their jobs over their heads?

Questionable.

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

ayseven wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:36 am It is extremely difficult for pilots to bargain: they only have their labour to withdraw if they don't get their way, and we know how easy it is to replace them right now. Once things get going, it might be harder. I wish people all the luck in the world.
This kind of thinking is why airline pilots in Canada are among the lowest paid anywhere. It’s not easy to replace a pilot.The training time alone to replace pilots is months in duration. If all pilots set the park brake and walked away the company would be out of business in very short order. We just don’t have the balls to do it.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

bcflyer wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:30 am
ayseven wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:36 am It is extremely difficult for pilots to bargain: they only have their labour to withdraw if they don't get their way, and we know how easy it is to replace them right now. Once things get going, it might be harder. I wish people all the luck in the world.
This kind of thinking is why airline pilots in Canada are among the lowest paid anywhere. It’s not easy to replace a pilot.The training time alone to replace pilots is months in duration. If all pilots set the park brake and walked away the company would be out of business in very short order. We just don’t have the balls to do it.
%100. Sadly the government will just force us back to work

ShamrockPilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ShamrockPilot »

The US offering HB1 visas for pilots is the only thing that will shake up the Canadian aviation industry at this point.
I don't know many who would stay, and I don't know how airlines here would cope with the 'brain drain'. Just look at the salaries, schedules, bases, income tax etc. on the US job postings.

90 day fiancé is the best way to go for now - think of the residuals !

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

flyingcanuck wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:53 am
%100. Sadly the government will just force us back to work
Again that’s always the reply. It’s never been tested. There was the threat of legislation but it never actually happened because once again the pilots didn’t have the backbone to push the issue. The results of that failure is still being felt today.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/air-can ... -1.5458889

I guess that 10M came with a lot of guilt and shame. I wonder if these managers are going to up and disappear now... :roll:

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

ShamrockPilot wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:00 am

The US offering HB1 visas for pilots is the only thing that will shake up the Canadian aviation industry at this point.
I don't know many who would stay, and I don't know how airlines here would cope with the 'brain drain'. Just look at the salaries, schedules, bases, income tax etc. on the US job postings.
A quick search of LCA's applied for in the US would show that this isn't an impossibility at all....

https://www.myvisajobs.com/H1B-Visa/Sea ... +Engineers

Skywest had 116 LCA's for pilots in 2018 alone, and 78 of those were approved.

Mesa, Peidmont and Champlain are next in the rankings.

It's not a lot, but it's there, which proves it's possible.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Bump

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Zaibatsu wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:30 amBump
Bump for what?

acpaleaks
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by acpaleaks »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:45 am
Bump for what?
Because he's a troll with nothing better to do. Kinda like you.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

acpaleaks wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:54 am
notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:45 am
Bump for what?
Because he's a troll with nothing better to do. Kinda like you.
This forum is filled with trolls and angry pilots looking to bitch and moan.

I happen to take part in both activities.

acpaleaks
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by acpaleaks »

Scary that you are allowed control of an aircraft with the public on board.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

acpaleaks wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:30 pm Scary that you are allowed control of an aircraft with the public on board.
I see that you definitely fall into the angry asshole category.

acpaleaks
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by acpaleaks »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:36 pm
acpaleaks wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:30 pm Scary that you are allowed control of an aircraft with the public on board.
No I just have a little more respect for my profession. Take a hint.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

acpaleaks wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:08 pm
notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:36 pm
No I just have a little more respect for my profession. Take a hint.
Who are you trying to convince... you or me?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”