How bad is commuting

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: How bad is commuting

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Launchpad1 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:28 pm How about living in YOW and based in YYZ?

I know that's even further than Kingston, and obviously you wouldn't want to be doing it daily, but does anyone here do that? Is it at all workable?
I'd say YOW-YYZ is one of the easiest flying commutes there are. You have around 12 flights daily from YOW to YYZ on AC or WJ. Plus, you have all of the Porter flights between YOW and YTZ, which you can then use the UP Express to get to YYZ. In the summer, I think they run a YOW-YTZ flight almost every hour, so that's between 20 and 30 options to choose from.

The flying commute adds complexity over and above the long drive. At least with driving, you're more in control of the situation. With flying, one flight cancellation or weather delay or mechanical issue could ruin your chances of making it to your base on time. With driving, you might hit unexpected traffic, but I've always just called crew sked and let them know I'd be a few minutes late. No harm, no foul. If you miss your flight though, you're not making it to work at all.
---------- ADS -----------

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

flyingcanuck wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:25 pm As a younger junior pilot at 705 I often think of moving to cheaper places to get lower rent and/or buy a house. Being tied to the countries most expensive cities is tough somedays.

So those that have done it, what do you think of commuting by air or perhaps a looong drive. Not worth it? Most every one who does it that I've talked to has said DONT do it. :rolleyes:
Done it several times in my career. Starting out it’s ok but once you’re more marketable and have more experience I say don’t do it. Anything over 45minutes one way is just a waste of time and energy

Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

I'd say YOW-YYZ is one of the easiest flying commutes there are. You have around 12 flights daily from YOW to YYZ on AC or WJ. Plus, you have all of the Porter flights between YOW and YTZ, which you can then use the UP Express to get to YYZ. In the summer, I think they run a YOW-YTZ flight almost every hour, so that's between 20 and 30 options to choose from.

The flying commute adds complexity over and above the long drive. At least with driving, you're more in control of the situation. With flying, one flight cancellation or weather delay or mechanical issue could ruin your chances of making it to your base on time. With driving, you might hit unexpected traffic, but I've always just called crew sked and let them know I'd be a few minutes late. No harm, no foul. If you miss your flight though, you're not making it to work at all.
Thanks for that! That's pretty much what I was thinking, plenty of flight options to choose from and worst comes to worst you could drive the 4 hours to work. I guess the other problem would be reserve and having to also have a place to stay because of that. Ottawa certainly seems like a nice city to live though and much cheaper than Toronto.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

For YOW, depending on who your employer is, if a YUL base, or at least bidding for YUL starts is an option, it works out well too. Speed limit is upped to 110 on the 417. If you're near the highway it can be 1:30 to the parking lot.
Nice place to live but can get some real cold snaps in the winter. Strangely sleepy vibe in general too for such a large city, lot of gov't workers just milling around waiting around for retirement, but terrific for outdoor activities.
YOW airport is quick and easy. Property value in city limits is about 75% of metro YYZ right now but climbing faster.

Skysurfer1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Skysurfer1 »

Ex commuter here. Hated commuting. Lost years stressing about getting on my standby so ended up paying full fare to ease my mind. It’s expensive and time consuming, not to mention being on the go all the time.

I use to commute to another country. I did work rotational. It makes more sense commuting for rotational work.

I’m now on different equipment that’s non rotational and I live 15 min from the airport and it’s not a major airline city hub either. It’s wonderful. My quality of life is better, I’m saving money and my time is spent more wisely.

I don’t think I could fly for our national carrier simply for base choice because where I’m based with my current employer is simply the best.

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

I live in London and commute to YYZ and used to commute to YTZ.

The best thing going for commuters is that the majority of pilots hate multi day pairings.

I found that in order to make my work life balance healthy; when working at YTZ I would bid 4 day pairings. I ran (3) 4 day pairings a month + (1) split for roughly 16 days off. I really enjoyed that schedule. You make the drive 4 times, and it's not too long away from home. Most hated the 4 days and the splits...so that was easy to hold.

Now I'm with a new company with higher credit and I bid (3) single days, (2) 2 days, and (1) 3 day resulting in 6 drives and 20 days off. I'm by no means senior either. I'm usually pretty consistent with the number of drives and days off. Quite manageable.

If you want less drives in, it is pretty easy to hold all the 6 or 7 day pairings. 2 or 3 drives in and you're done.

Reserve is not great. Last minute call outs are the worst. That being said it can all be mitigated by (a) calling crew sched the night before to see what's up, or (b) setting your alarm so you can check your schedule in order to make check in before they call. I have never been late for a reserve call out by doing this.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Not going to read a bunch of pages, so if this is stated I’m just backing it up.

Questions really are
1) How important is an affordable cost of living to you?
2) Do you love where you currently are, or dream of somewhere else that’s not a big city airline base.
3) what does your family want?

Really answer those three questions and you’ll have your answer. I’ve commuted for years and for me it’s the only option.

I tried the YYZ thing as my wife got a great job in Mississauga so agreed give it a go. Epic failure and misery. Sure my drive was short, but that was it for us.

For me, when I’m on my commute flight home, get on the boat, have a cold beer with fresh air and no noise. That’s piece and it’s worth gold to me that I’ll never give it up. I’ll fly the north to keep that. Taking a job like that might not be glamorous but doing so, my life style, family, etc is the best which for us is where it’s at.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

Post Covid anyone have insight on how commuting is for the major airlines in Canada: Westjet, AC and Transat (maybe a stretch saying major). Thanks!

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:33 am Post Covid anyone have insight on how commuting is for the major airlines in Canada: Westjet, AC and Transat (maybe a stretch saying major). Thanks!
0 stars… would not recommend.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Flights are crazy full lately. I wouldn’t want to commute by air. I have a 2 hour drive to the airport and bid 4 day pairings so I only drive once a week mostly. Also the AIFs make commuting by air more and more expensive. When I’m done my only stress is some summer construction traffic or some winter snow.

Let’s Go Brandon
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:33 am Post Covid anyone have insight on how commuting is for the major airlines in Canada: Westjet, AC and Transat (maybe a stretch saying major). Thanks!
As bad plus 20 points. Not worth it

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Commuting has always been shit but it was actually fairly doable pre-2020. Now it’s an absolute gong show from hell, especially if for example, you’re working for the Teal team out East.
The days of cheap 70$ airport hotel with crew discount and only having 1 buffer flight before your pairing, are over and probably never coming back.
That said, as the boomers retires and replaced by the next gens who won’t be able to afford housing in the big cities, I think airline management will start thinking about bringing ports back or offer a better commute lifestyle in order to help with the recruitment.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

daedalusx wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:09 am Commuting has always been shit but it was actually fairly doable pre-2020. Now it’s an absolute gong show from hell, especially if for example, you’re working for the Teal team out East.
The days of cheap 70$ airport hotel with crew discount and only having 1 buffer flight before your pairing, are over and probably never coming back.
That said, as the boomers retires and replaced by the next gens who won’t be able to afford housing in the big cities, I think airline management will start thinking about bringing ports back or offer a better commute lifestyle in order to help with the recruitment.
Meah, Porter has a commuting policy which is quite nice for myself :smt040

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

flyinhigh wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:47 am
daedalusx wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:09 am Commuting has always been shit but it was actually fairly doable pre-2020. Now it’s an absolute gong show from hell, especially if for example, you’re working for the Teal team out East.
What does the policy entail?

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:20 am
flyinhigh wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:47 am
What does the policy entail?
Not to go into all the details but 2 flight rule and if registered in the official program than you get access to the highest standby priority possible for that specific flight (I.e, I’m a high priority commuter for work, I bump a 16 year stby pilot even if only 3 month seniority).

There’s other aspects, but that’s the jist and only for Porter flights.

frosty
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by frosty »

Can someone give me some insight in working for an airline like WJ or Flair and living 2 hours away from base ? From what I've seen most want reserve response time of 90mins. I'm not moving, so am I stuck working rotations ?

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

frosty wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:31 pm Can someone give me some insight in working for an airline like WJ or Flair and living 2 hours away from base ? From what I've seen most want reserve response time of 90mins. I'm not moving, so am I stuck working rotations ?
It’s not impossible per se, Westjet has long call reserve, although it’s really not a good idea. You’ll get tired real quick of driving 4 hours every time to do a 12+ hour day. Flair has no layover, so even if you’re flying a block, you’ll burn yourself out on the commute unless you have a crash pad at the airport.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"

Return to “General Comments”