Do you still accrue years of service while on GDIP?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Dias
Rank 3
Rank 3

Do you still accrue years of service while on GDIP?

Post by Dias »

If you're off on disability do you still accrue YOS or do you freeze at your current level until you return?
---------- ADS -----------

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Do you still accrue years of service while on GDIP?

Post by NotDirty! »

YOS accrued and you keep your seniority. Vacation is also accrued, so you actually end up having to take whatever vacation you missed from previous vacation years, prior to returning to work.

Dias
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dias »

Thanks very much. I imagine the monthly GDIP payout doesn't increase with the accrued years of service does it? It's based on a snapshot of what you were making when you went on GDIP?
Example: A year 4 pilot goes on GDIP for over a year they won't bump up in GDIP payments to what a year 5 pilot would get?

a220hereicome
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by a220hereicome »

**** wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:53 am Thanks very much. I imagine the monthly GDIP payout doesn't increase with the accrued years of service does it? It's based on a snapshot of what you were making when you went on GDIP?
Example: A year 4 pilot goes on GDIP for over a year they won't bump up in GDIP payments to what a year 5 pilot would get?
Suggest you email your committee rep rather than looking for an answer on a public forum. Queries usually answered by committee reps the same day.

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

a220hereicome wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:43 am
**** wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:53 am Thanks very much. I imagine the monthly GDIP payout doesn't increase with the accrued years of service does it? It's based on a snapshot of what you were making when you went on GDIP?
Suggest you email your committee rep rather than looking for an answer on a public forum. Queries usually answered by committee reps the same day.
Unless they don’t like your question in which case they will ignore you.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

Correct. If I recall correctly, it is based on the better of your average earnings for the previous 3 or 12 months. The GDIP payment actually goes down over time, depending on years of service when you started GDIP. In my case it was 60% for the first year, then 40% for the second year.
There is also the EMA from ACPa that supplements your GDIP income, and it increases when the GDIP payment decreases, so your actual monthly income remains fairly constant.

I don’t recommend going on GDIP by choice, but for all of those things in life that can put you in the situation where you don’t have a choice, it is sure nice to have that benefit.

Dias
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dias »

Thanks very much. I agree with your statement, at any of my previous employers I'd likely be on the street.

Return to “Air Canada”