Residential School Airplane

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

CruiserNU
Rank 1
Rank 1

Residential School Airplane

Post by CruiserNU »

---------- ADS -----------

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Residential School Airplane

Post by altiplano »

I wonder how many people's lives were saved being medevaced from remote locations in that aircraft?

How many tons of critically needed supplies and provisions were flown in the back?

How important was the other connection between communities it provided?

Edmund
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Edmund »

What a cheap attempt of an article. Those planes were the lifeline back in those days

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

A Painful Reminder Or a Lifesaver

Post by EPR »

Keep the dirty side down.
notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: A Painful Reminder Or a Lifesaver

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

I got rear ended by an F150. It's an unavoidable painful reminder every time I see one drive past me.

Sure, if this specific airplane was used to facilitate the genocide of Canada's indigenous population, I would see the outrage, but to complain that a common airplane type is offensive is stupid.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

I can already see a group or Ryerson students in Toronto planning a road trip up North to break this thing down and burn it. Just give them a couple weeks. We can’t stand for these types of displays of white masculinity erected everywhere we must burn them all.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

It’s just an airplane! Geez what is this country coming to? The woke/cancel culture won’t stop until all history is erased.

Hopefully someone rescues it before it gets torched.

Let’s Go Brandon
all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

CJ3PILOT
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CJ3PILOT »

Next will be the school buses.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

Would anyone here be triggered if I legally changed my name to SirJohnA MacDonald and ran in the next federal election planned for this fall?

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

They forgot to mention that those same racist planes flew food and medicine in and flew the sick and injured out for medical care.

Let’s Go Brandon
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

If a person has upsetting recollections as they look at a window in a building, for the room in which they suffered abuse, I can sympathize with them. My opinions about that building are not really relevant. If a person allows themselves to be upset, because they see a plane of the same model, in which they had flight associated with unpleasant events, my sympathy for them is different, as they have allowed a part of their life to be defined by an unrelated, inanimate object. The plane took off and landed on water, do they think poorly of water?

Yesterday, I looked out over the bay in which I just about died four years ago. Today I drove a highway, and passed two different locations, at both of which I was hit by another motorist, and two vehicles destroyed on each occasion - and yet I go on. Those events are a part of my history, but they do not define my present - other than to remind me to appreciate being alive!

I hope that the Norseman remains proudly on the pylon....

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

PilotDAR wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:18 pm
Yesterday, I looked out over the bay in which I just about died four years ago. Today I drove a highway, and passed two different locations, at both of which I was hit by another motorist, and two vehicles destroyed on each occasion - and yet I go on. Those events are a part of my history, but they do not define my present - other than to remind me to appreciate being alive!

I hope that the Norseman remains proudly on the pylon....
So, in a word, suck it up princess?

Accurate, --on the surface -- but extremely simplistic comparison. Easier said than done, to say to not allow trauma to define ones life.

I'm curious if you've visited some of the reserves, and / or spent time with those who struggle with addictions as a result of deep trauma -- like sexual or other kinds of abuse.
I have. It's a different animal -- than an accident.

Just saying. Be careful before judgement.

I hope the Norseman stays too, and becomes one place for healing, perhaps.

But the fact remains -- to this day -- and I've been to several: No one gives a crap about the reserves or anyone there. That is a fact.

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

montado wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:34 am I can already see a group or Ryerson students in Toronto planning a road trip up North to break this thing down and burn it. Just give them a couple weeks. We can’t stand for these types of displays of white masculinity erected everywhere we must burn them all.
They wouldn't survive on the outskirts of the GTA, never mind a Northern community.. :lol:

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

EPR wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:00 pm
montado wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:34 am I can already see a group or Ryerson students in Toronto planning a road trip up North to break this thing down and burn it. Just give them a couple weeks. We can’t stand for these types of displays of white masculinity erected everywhere we must burn them all.
They wouldn't survive on the outskirts of the GTA, never mind a Northern community.. :lol:
There’s no Starbucks soy lattes or kale salads up on the Rez. :lol:

I don’t think it will be long before Ryerson changes it’s name. Snowflake U or University of Wokeness are strong contenders no doubt. :|

Let’s Go Brandon
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

So, in a word, suck it up princess?
It's a choice, not an instruction. Some people have been dealt a very unfair hand in life, and may even be able to identify the dealer. My experience, for better or worse, is to play the best hand you can, without looking back [much].

I like the saying: "Fix the problem, not the blame". An airplane, a statue, a name of an institution were not the problem. "Fixing" them will not result in the problem being fixed.

For my own experience, if I think to blame someone for something, or think about an unpleasant event - I have to think back the the unpleasant event! As much as I can, I choose to not do that.

As I said, if someone cannot make that choice, they do have my sympathy, but they won't have my help in removing an inanimate object, only tangentially associated with the event.

albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:28 pmBut the fact remains -- to this day -- No one gives a crap about the reserves or anyone there. That is a fact.
No one gives a crap about residential schools either. It was a hundred years ago.

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

This saying may not be entirely accurate, but it makes sense to me and I believe in it, "Those that do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it" and "Only the dead have seen the end of war"! This whole "cancel culture" movement is poisoning the waters and I believe have it all wrong!

albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

Remember the Holocaust?

Soon there will be no one alive who can remember what they did.

And soon there will be no one alive who remembers (or cares) what the Residential Schools did.

And history will repeat..

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I wouldn’t give too much thought into this article. It’s just a CBC garbage opinion piece. It’s become a satire site with most of its content being about the China virus, BLM or the natives.

Glad my tax dollars aren’t going to fund this.... oh wait. :roll:

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”