Fall Equipment Bid

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Fall Equipment Bid

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

Speculations on the upcoming fall bid? Reduction or more upgrades to prepare for the future?
---------- ADS -----------

2nine9two
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Fall Equipment Bid

Post by 2nine9two »

A number of people that were just recalled have already been re instated to the left seat less than a month after returning to work so hopefully that's a sign of more upgrades in the future

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by McKinley »

I don’t understand the present staffing levels.. (I’m not a jazz insider.. I’ve been laid off so really I have no finger on any pulse in the industry - I’m working retail ) Why so many staff for 8-15% of 2019 flying?

Do you anticipate more layoffs come fall? Are things picking up ?

That being said, I hope recalls = I get to fly and ditch the min wage nonsense. I’m also stoked for those who have been recalled.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

I don't get it either. More guys from Sky, less Dashes, I don't know where all the flying is coming from

2nine9two
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 2nine9two »

The sky regional folks brought a bunch of flying with them. plus almost 100 senior captains took the early retirement package. plus domestic flying has increased dramatically as the travel restrictions have started to ease (especially out west. All those factors and a number of contractual requirements have caused a ton of recalls and training events

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

McKinley wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:56 pm I don’t understand the present staffing levels.. (I’m not a jazz insider.. I’ve been laid off so really I have no finger on any pulse in the industry - I’m working retail ) Why so many staff for 8-15% of 2019 flying?

Do you anticipate more layoffs come fall? Are things picking up ?

That being said, I hope recalls = I get to fly and ditch the min wage nonsense. I’m also stoked for those who have been recalled.
Recalls are always based on a projection of future flying which usually has a 12 month outlook. While you are looking at present bookings ac and jazz are looking at spring-summer 2022 bookings.
Also don't forget the massive reshuffling bid coming up. Hundreds of pilots changing seats, getting pulled off the line while the flying steadily increases in slow increments.
It's all based on how do you get to the projected summer 22 staffing levels.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

The training department is running nearly full capacity with the return-to-work pilot requalification and now upgrade training.

The training plan that will flow from the equipment bid results will be stacked on top of that. It will take all of the time and all of the training resources available to get pilots trained to awarded positions for summer 2022. Some training may extend in to summer 2022.

Equipment bid should probably have been run in July rather than August to get ahead of the training curve. Many pilots will end up double trained either due to seat changes or equipment changes.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Would Jazz consider utilizing training/sim facilities outside of Canada to help with a backlog if they are caught behind the training curve ?

Gravity always wins
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Kosiw wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:30 am Would Jazz consider utilizing training/sim facilities outside of Canada to help with a backlog if they are caught behind the training curve ?
Traditionally, no.

With a fleet of 25 E175’s, the E-jet sim at CAE/YYZ should suffice. It will likely run 18 hours per day.

With a fleet of 39 Q400’s, the 2 Q sims (CAE YYZ/AC YVR) should suffice.

With a fleet of 50 CRJ200/900’s the 2 CRJ sims (CAE YYZ - 1 200/1 900) should suffice so long as Jazz continues to operate the CRJ200. If CRJ900 fleet only, 1 sim for 35 staffed aircraft will not be enough. YYZ CRJ sims will also need to run 18 hours per day with Jazz as the exclusive customer.

Historically, Jazz has been able to run 500+ initial type courses per year plus upgrades using existing domestic sim infrastructure.

Booking sim space offshore will be a last option for Jazz. Should not really be necessary given fleet composition and domestic sim availability.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

rudder wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:11 am
Kosiw wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:30 am Would Jazz consider utilizing training/sim facilities outside of Canada to help with a backlog if they are caught behind the training curve ?
Traditionally, no.

With a fleet of 25 E175’s, the E-jet sim at CAE/YYZ should suffice. It will likely run 18 hours per day.

With a fleet of 50 CRJ200/900’s the 2 CRJ sims (CAE YYZ - 1 200/1 900) should suffice so long as Jazz continues to operate the CRJ200. If CRJ900 fleet only, 1 sim for 35 staffed aircraft will not be enough. YYZ CRJ sims will also need to run 18 hours per day with Jazz as the exclusive customer.

Historically, Jazz has been able to run 500+ initial type courses per year plus upgrades using existing domestic sim infrastructure.

Booking sim space offshore will be a last option for Jazz. Should not really be necessary given fleet composition and domestic sim availability.
With Encore taking up time in the CAE YYZ Q400 sim and with Porter needing to retrain nearly their entire pilot base, I imagine Q400 sim time might be at a premium in Toronto.

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

rudder wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:11 am
Traditionally, no.

I know several years ago they used flight safety in Seattle for western based q400 recurrent training.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:26 am With Encore taking up time in the CAE YYZ Q400 sim and with Porter needing to retrain nearly their entire pilot base, I imagine Q400 sim time might be at a premium in Toronto.
Jazz would need 100% of Q sim time available in YVR and 50% of Q sim time available at CAE YYZ. Not sure what status of Q sim is at Flight Safety.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Regarding Jazz bases (flt crew staffing levels) post Covid and Sky Reg integration....will any of the base sizes shrink/grow/consolidate into 22/23 ?

Gravity always wins
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Kosiw wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:20 am Regarding Jazz bases (flt crew staffing levels) post Covid and Sky Reg integration....will any of the base sizes shrink/grow/consolidate into 22/23 ?
There are approximately 1700 pilots waiting for the answer to that question….

Current guidance is that base E175 staffing at Jazz will mimic SKV base staffing distribution (25% YUL/75% YYZ). No western E175 base.

Jazz will have to make a decision about opening a permanent Q400 base in YHZ.

Jazz will be closing D8 bases in YYC/YYZ/YUL.

Jazz will have to evaluate required size of YYC base considering volume of originating flights.

YYZ will be largest base. YUL will probably be second largest base. YVR may be comparably sized to YUL depending on final staffing distribution in the west/ YYC base size decision. YYC will be the smallest base irrespective of outcome (depending on YHZ Q400 base decision).

Probably the most critical information in the upcoming equipment bid will be the number of required line pilots. Hopefully will be 1200+. 1300 would equal the highest recent historical required staffing.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

rudder wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:36 am
Kosiw wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:20 am Regarding Jazz bases (flt crew staffing levels) post Covid and Sky Reg integration....will any of the base sizes shrink/grow/consolidate into 22/23 ?
There are approximately 1700 pilots waiting for the answer to that question….

Current guidance is that base E175 staffing at Jazz will mimic SKV base staffing distribution (25% YUL/75% YYZ). No western E175 base.

Jazz will have to make a decision about opening a permanent Q400 base in YHZ.

Jazz will be closing D8 bases in YYC/YYZ/YUL.

Jazz will have to evaluate required size of YYC base considering volume of originating flights.

YYZ will be largest base. YUL will probably be second largest base. YVR may be comparably sized to YUL depending on final staffing distribution in the west/ YYC base size decision. YYC will be the smallest base irrespective of outcome (depending on YHZ Q400 base decision).

Probably the most critical information in the upcoming equipment bid will be the number of required line pilots. Hopefully will be 1200+. 1300 would equal the highest recent historical required staffing.
Thanks for the insight Rudder...

Also is it conceivable that the YYC base could be closed and the staff consolidated into the YVR base ?

Gravity always wins
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Kosiw wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:51 am

Also is it conceivable that the YYC base could be closed and the staff consolidated into the YVR base ?
Unlikely but not impossible. Ironically, when Bill Bredt was seconded from AC to Jazz as COO after CCAA one of his first questions was “Why does Jazz have so many crew bases?” As a result Jazz reduced to 4 bases. BB wanted just one western pilot base but Jazz convinced him to maintain two.

Several years ago the plan was to shrink the YYC base by attrition. That was the plan. It never happened. Jazz kept backfilling the vacancies. Perhaps that will be the plan going forward this time, and they will actually stick to the plan.

YYC is not a focus hub for AC and never will be. Having said that, it may be the most affordable large city in the system.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

rudder wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:41 am

Unlikely but not impossible. Ironically, when Bill Bredt was seconded from AC to Jazz as COO after CCAA one of his first questions was “Why does Jazz have so many crew bases?” As a result Jazz reduced to 4 bases. BB wanted just one western pilot base but Jazz convinced him to maintain two.

Several years ago the plan was to shrink the YYC base by attrition. That was the plan. It never happened. Jazz kept backfilling the vacancies. Perhaps that will be the plan going forward this time, and they will actually stick to the plan.

YYC is not a focus hub for AC and never will be. Having said that, it may be the most affordable large city in the system.
I agree and the fact that Jazz is now looking at a YHZ base once more leads me to think it’ll stay. To “close” a base that is relatively cheap to maintai would be a very short sighted move IMO. There was even talk pre-Covid to move the YVR CP/MLO etc staff to YYC as real estate space at YYC was much cheaper. I think YYC will remain albeit a much smaller form of itself. It’s an attractive item for pilots wanting to come to Jazz in the future as AC does not have a YYC base.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

KenoraPilot wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:04 pm
I agree and the fact that Jazz is now looking at a YHZ base once more leads me to think it’ll stay. To “close” a base that is relatively cheap to maintai would be a very short sighted move IMO. There was even talk pre-Covid to move the YVR CP/MLO etc staff to YYC as real estate space at YYC was much cheaper. I think YYC will remain albeit a much smaller form of itself. It’s an attractive item for pilots wanting to come to Jazz in the future as AC does not have a YYC base.
Take a look at AC’s latest trans border route press release.

YYC is no more a focus city than YWG or YOW. The YYC Jazz base is living on borrowed time.

It will survive 2021. Perhaps even 2022/2023. But it’s days are numbered.

fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fixnfly »

I'm surprised that Jazz doesn't expand the YYC base and build pairings to do flying out on the west coast as Encore does, as its so much more affordable to live in YYC. Being a YVR based Q pilot is the least desirable flight ops position at Jazz. I'm sure it would help with filling in those vacancies as well as reduce the ridiculous amount of FA turnover in YVR if they started and ended pairings in YYC. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a push from Jazz to expand or AC to open a base in YYC with housing affordability as a major reason. Isn't YYC-YVR one of the busiest commuter routes in the AC network anyways? A lot of YYC guys are Jazz lifers anyways because the pay allows for a decent quality of life that YVR and YYZ just don't offer. Sorry its a bit off topic but I really don't see an issue as to why Jazz wouldn't slowly migrate the flying over to YYC in future equipment bids. They were already building pairings on the west coast with YYC based Q pilots anyways.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

fixnfly wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:31 pm

I'm surprised that Jazz doesn't expand the YYC base and build pairings to do flying out on the west coast as Encore does, as its so much more affordable to live in YYC. Being a YVR based Q pilot is the least desirable flight ops position at Jazz. I'm sure it would help with filling in those vacancies as well as reduce the ridiculous amount of FA turnover in YVR if they started and ended pairings in YYC. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a push from Jazz to expand or AC to open a base in YYC with housing affordability as a major reason. Isn't YYC-YVR one of the busiest commuter routes in the AC network anyways? A lot of YYC guys are Jazz lifers anyways because the pay allows for a decent quality of life that YVR and YYZ just don't offer. Sorry its a bit off topic but I really don't see an issue as to why Jazz wouldn't slowly migrate the flying over to YYC in future equipment bids. They were already building pairings on the west coast with YYC based Q pilots anyways.
Bases are determined based on ‘head start’ departures.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”