Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

COVID-19 Testing to the US

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

Hi All,

Was wondering if any of you had travelled to the US recently as a passenger and what type of COVID test was accepted by the airline. I see shoppers offers an antigen test but dont want to risk being denied boarding. Flying with Delta out of YYZ.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: COVID-19 Testing to the US

Post by montado »

172ReliefPilot wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:24 am Flying with Delta out of YYZ.
If you already know you have delta you must have already had your test! :lol:

Sorry bad joke, and not sure the answer to your actual question! Seems like they figured out a way to make flying anywhere quite complicated.

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

From the CDC website:
What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
Passengers must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

Can I get a rapid test?
Rapid tests are acceptable as long as they are a viral test acceptable under the Order.
Antigen might be cheaper and quicker.

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

Flew out of YYZ for MIA for sim training back in March of this year and had to do the COVID test, as airline crewmembers travelling to the USA for training purposes are not considered exempt from the testing requirement.

I had the PCR test (nose swab) done at Shoppers in YYZ, which set me back about $225 - fortunately, this was covered by my employer. Did the test at 1 PM and had the results back by 9 PM. No issues travelling with the PCR test, as I recall I was asked to show the test results to the gate agent prior to boarding along with the document check and they stamped the printed results to say that they had been checked/approved.

I don't have any information on rapid antigen tests or whether or not they are considered acceptable for travel to the States, but I hope the above information helps at least - best of luck!

Mach .28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mach .28 »

Antigen is fine for entry to the US...mine was $90 and ready in 15min. RT-PCR for return trip was ready in 20min. Some places can't get results for minimum 72+hrs right now due to high demand so pays to shop around.

Bring some ID/License as some facilities will give discounts to crew.

Used this for more details as to which type is required for each country. Most places know which type is required as well.

https://apply.joinsherpa.com/travel-res ... uage=en-US

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

For the return to Canada check out Google Baseline. It’s a free PCR test done at Rite Aid. It took 48 hours for the results though.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Antigen (rapid test) is fine. You can get this at Shoppers or at most airports now and it's not very expensive.

On the return, Walgreens offers an RT-LAMP test for free, which is adequate for return to Canada. Results can be as quick as 1 hour.

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

Thank you for all the help/recommendations!

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”