Airline pilots view on Corporate

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Airline pilots view on Corporate

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Any thoughts from the gallery?

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-fly ... ots-2020-9

Furloughs in the airline industry are forcing pilots to find new work in other aspects of aviation, including flying privately-owned aircraft.

Private aviation is in the midst of an expansion that's seeing aircraft operators invest in more planes to bring in a new market of first-time private flyers who are abandoning first class thanks to the pandemic. A fleet of new planes requires more pilots to fly them and as the airlines contract during the downturn, private firms are looking to hire former airline pilots with plenty of experience.

It may seem like an easy transition since flying a plane is the same whether it be for an airliner or private charter company, but the workload and lifestyle couldn't be any more different. Instead of flying a plane full of passengers, a private aviation pilot caters solely to the wealthy and powerful, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

It's a challenging job that requires a pilot to go above and beyond, at times, according to Sean Scialfa, a 31-year airline pilot who has spent time on both sides of the industry. Unlike the airlines, private aircraft pilots deal with problems head-on and face to face instead of from behind a locked cockpit door and through a public announcement system.

Here's how flying private aircraft is different than flying for the airlines.

1. Wearing many hats
Cirrus Vision Jet Flight
A Cirrus Vision Jet pilot welcoming passengers onboard the aircraft. Thomas Pallini/Business Insider
Pilots on this side of the industry are very much the face of the operation and frequently interact with guests, which is why private aviation CEOs look for pilots with personality and a customer-service oriented attitude. It's not a job where pilots can show up a few minutes before boarding and not speak to a passenger the entire flight.

When an airline pilot shows up at the airport, the expectation is not to greet passengers in the gate area before a flight, scan their tickets, and load their bags for them. All that is done by the army of support staff that airlines employ to service any given flight.

But those tasks are routinely performed by a private aircraft pilot who typically arrives at the airport about an hour before their flight to prep the aircraft, which can include getting it fueled, stocked, catered, and cleaned. Once the passengers arrive at the plane, it's the pilot's responsibility to cross-check their identification with the manifest, load their bags, and even give the safety briefing if there is no cabin attendant for that flight.

2. The cockpit door is always open
Private jet
The passenger cabin of a light aircraft. Shutterstock.com
Access to the cockpit on a commercial airliner became highly restricted after September 11, 2001. Cockpit doors were reinforced and locked to prevent any undue entry and only opened if the crew needed to use the restroom or receive their meals with no passenger access to the flight deck on most flights.

On the private side, however, the cockpit doors are normally left open. Passengers can see everything that's going on and come visit during the flight. Some private aircraft don't even have cockpit doors with most light and propeller aircraft, namely, having open environments and little to no boundaries between the passenger cabin and cockpit.

The problem isn't the threat of a hijacking with these aircraft but passengers having direct contact with pilots can lead to stressful or pressure-filled situations that could make pilots behave differently. For example, if an aircraft was late to arrive at an airport that is dangerous to access at night, Scialfa said, being pressured by passengers could lead to the pilot to make a fatal mistake by giving in instead of making the safe choice.

3. A different lifestyle, for better or worse
Alyse Kalish Aspen
Aspen, Colorado is a popular destination for the wealthy. Alyse Kalish/Business Insider
The wealthy often go to extremes when they travel and often visit exclusive and exciting locales that may make a pilot's life seem like one long vacation in between flights. Holiday weekends in the winter, for example, can see pilots flying to Aspen, Colorado; Jackson Hole, Wyoming; or Sun Valley, Idaho, then off to Europe or South America for weeks at a time in the summer.

But that lifestyle also means being away from home for long stretches, more so than at the airlines. Pilots working for a charter operation can be on-call or on the road for weeks at a time. Airlines trips are typically only a few days, with periods of time off in between, but private aircraft pilots often have a certain number of weeks on-call followed by hard days off.

According to Scialfa, pilots that can't keep up with that lifestyle will often ask themselves: "Is this better than working in Home Depot, or is it not?"

4. Living local
Airplane flying over home
Private aircraft pilots are often required to live near an airport. Shutterstock.com
Private aircraft pilots often have to live within a certain radius of their home airport since flights can pop-up at a moment's notice, especially with on-demand charter flights. Some companies require pilots to live less than 90 minutes from the airport to be able to pick up what is known as an "ASAP" trip while some will allow commutes upwards of three hours.

Airline pilots don't need to live near the airports out of which they're based and will fly in and out around their work schedule. A New York City-based American Airlines pilot can live in Los Angeles, for example, and commute the day before the first flight of his trip and back as soon as he lands back in New York since pilots are given flight benefits on nearly any commercial airline.

"With the airlines, you know, you're not going to be gone for more than four to six days," said Scialfa. "And then, depending on where you live, you drive home or you jump in an airplane and commute to Ohio or wherever you may live."

5. Arriving early and leaving late
Private aircraft jet fuel
Pilots often supervise the fueling process and determine how much is needed. David Becker/Reuters
Private aircraft pilots are often required to arrive at the airport at least an hour before every flight to allow enough time to prepare for passenger arrival. During this time, the pilot will order fuel for the plane, perform pre-flight procedures, file the flight plan, check the route weather, stage the catering order if one was placed, and await passenger arrival, according to Scialfa.

Once the aircraft has arrived, the pilot has to stick around the button up the plane by checking the cabin for any issues, removing any trash, inspecting the exterior, and sometimes placing coverings on the engines and important gauges. If the plane is leaving early the next morning for a flight, the pilot will often stick around to see it fueled and ready to go for the early departure.

Airline pilots often show up a few minutes before boarding and perform all of the pre-flight checks while passengers are getting on the plane. But wealthy passengers expect to depart as soon as they arrive so that isn't an option on a private aircraft.

6. Moving to a smaller pond
Private jet
There's often no door between the cockpit and passenger cabin of a private aircraft. Shutterstock.com
Private aircraft operators are often family-like environments where all the pilots know each other and can fly in pairs based on experience. The same two pilots can be paired together for months at a time, especially if both assigned to the same owner, so there's less variety when it comes to the cockpit and it's important to

That also applies to the passengers with repeat-business very common in the private aviation world, especially with the owner of the aircraft. Pilots have to maintain relationships with passengers they fly as it will directly influence whether they fly with that company or flight crew again.

8. Making the most out of a bad situation
Hawker 800XP Private Jet Takeoff
A Hawker 800 jet departing from Farnborough Airport. aviation-images.com/Universal Images Group/Getty
Private aircraft often have more flexibility in getting passengers from point A to B than airliners do thanks to the unscheduled nature of the business. If bad weather delays all flights into New York, for example, a pilot can file a flight plan for Boston and then request a diversion in mid-air since it's less likely to be turned down or directly ask passengers if they want to leave earlier to beat the storm.

And not all aircraft need to follow flight plans, with smaller aircraft often operating under visual flight rules restrictions that allow them to fly more direct routes and avoid certain types of delays. It's often done with shorter flights since visual flight rules can only be used under 18,000 feet.

Pilots can also depart under those rules to avoid ground delays with instrument flight plans and then request clearance to pick up a normal flight plan once they depart.

9. Working the holidays
Private Jet Snow
A Cessna Citation aircraft being marshaled in the snow in Oslo. HANNAH MCKAY/Reuters
To paraphrase the famous saying, private aircraft pilots follow the calendar of the elites. That means more trips over the holidays and especially long holiday weekends when the kids are off from school or when the office is closed.

The Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday periods, as well as the Fourth of July, are peak travel times. Some companies will allow pilots to fly home between flights but it's at the discretion of the company.

10. Max duty days
Private jet
Business travelers will seek to make the most of their time on the ground without staying overnight. Shutterstock.com
The longest workday for a private aircraft pilot is 14 hours and passengers will often seek to make the most of that timeframe. Early morning flights and late-night returns are very common and can occur back to back with only as little as 10 hours of rest in between.

Private aviation executives are predicting more day trips for business travelers as they seek to reduce exposure while on the road.

11. A more relaxed environment
An Air France pilot wearing a protective mask trains in an Airbus A350 flight simulator at an Air France training centre near Charles de Gaulle airport as European safety rules require extra training for any pilot that has not carried out at least three take-offs and landings over the last three months, amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak near Paris, France, May 15, 2020. REUTERS/Noemie Olive
A pilot trains in a flight simulator at a training centre near Paris. Reuters
Pilots coming from the airlines may be taken aback by the informal nature of private flying, according to Scialfa, especially when it comes to executing procedures. Airlines have a more regimented training program while the private side may not be as stringent, with multiple ways to accomplish a task in the latter compared to only one way in the former, according to Scialfa.

"It's hard for an airline guy to go, 'what do you mean there's three different ways to do that?'" Scialfa said.

Having more experienced airline pilots transitioning to the private side will undoubtedly make the industry safer, Scialfa said, but there will be a learning curve for regimented pilots.

SEE ALSO: United Airlines will furlough 16,370 employees as government assistance runs out and air travel shows no sign of recovery
DON'T MISS: American Airlines pilots landing in Los Angeles spotted a 'guy in a jetpack' just 300 yards from their passenger jet
---------- ADS -----------

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Airline pilots view on Corporate

Post by lownslow »

To date I have chosen not to pursue corporate jobs because I’m a lazy chicken. It seems to me that when there’s an economic downturn the first thing to go is the jet. I know folks who have been very happy in the corporate flying world but have had to weather multiple flight department closures and it’s not unheard of for them to shell out big money for a type rating on speculation alone. I think most if not all of them had some side hustle too, usually aggressive investing or real estate. It’s not for me, but others can do well enough I guess.

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

As an Airline Pilot who has never flown corporate, but has many friends who do at excellent spots and some not so excellent management companies, I am shocked sometimes during cruise chats how little other airline pilots know or care about the corporate world. Most of them wouldn’t even know those select few top corporate jobs exist.
Most airline pilots have never had first hand corporate experience and came up through small 703’s, then the regionals and finally to the mainline Airlines. So to answer your question I’d say for the most part, the view or opinion Airline Pilots have on corporate is nothing at all.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

I was once told that the difference between airline pilots and corporate pilots is that the former is paid to fly, and the latter is paid to wait.

Other thing I was told was that the client is the biggest factor affecting your WAWCON and that about 10% are outstanding, well above Airline WAWCON and the other 90% is about same or sub airline WAWCON.

I have wanted and tried for a long time to get a good corporate gig, but in the end, I made it to 705 and that's where I'll stay til retirment.

Good topic though!

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Really enjoying the engagement so far. From what I've seen, corporate is viewed as a 'lifeboat' for many airline pilots. Any sort of airline industry upset, crews transition to corporate (604/703/704) until the storm passes, then back to 705 asap.

Colleagues of mine laid off summed it up pretty well; '705 I'm paid to keep a seat warm - everything is done for me (particularly in the right seat). 604/703/704 you gotta actually work. As soon as my number is up, I'm gone.'

Unfortunately my last contract I tried negotiating - the response was - 'Well we can go out and get a couple airline guys at nearly half that rate in this market'. :? My response was pretty blunt 'Well, don't let me hold you back from that decision - chat in 6 months when they get recalled' :roll:

I'm glad with the continued bizav industry flying throughout the pandemic, airline crews have found seats in corporate to keep their skills sharp and bank accounts plump, but I'll be ecstatic once your respective airlines kick back into full gear and dry up the talent pool :lol:

scabbydoo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by scabbydoo »

The truth is, very few corporate flight departments or management companies have any desire for airline guys/gals. There's a misconception of entitlement as well as an inability to provide the same level of service as a career corporate pilot.

Although purely anecdotal, I've seen and heard of far more low-timers than airline peeps being scooped up by corporate. It's now arrived to the point where corporate operators are literally including "furloughed airline pilots f*ck off" in their job postings. Applying to Chartright or Novajet with AC or WJ on your resume these days is like having your Tinder tag line say "I HAVE HERPES PLEASE DATE ME".

Last edited by scabbydoo on Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
scabbydoo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by scabbydoo »

The truth is, very few corporate flight departments or management companies have any desire for airline guys/gals. There's a misconception of entitlement as well as an inability to provide the same level of service as a career corporate pilot.

Although purely anecdotal, I've seen and heard of far more low-timers than airline peeps being scooped up by corporate. It's now arrived to the point where corporate operators are literally including "furloughed airline pilots f*ck off" in their job postings. Applying to Chartright or Novajet with AC or WJ on your resume these days is like having your Tinder tag line say "I HAVE HERPES PLEASE DATE ME".

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

YC87DRVR wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:13 am Most airline pilots have never had first hand corporate experience and came up through small 703’s, then the regionals and finally to the mainline Airlines. So to answer your question I’d say for the most part, the view or opinion Airline Pilots have on corporate is nothing at all.
So, something like this?
Mad Men.jpg
Mad Men.jpg (61.96 KiB) Viewed 7592 times

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:23 am
YC87DRVR wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:13 am Most airline pilots have never had first hand corporate experience and came up through small 703’s, then the regionals and finally to the mainline Airlines. So to answer your question I’d say for the most part, the view or opinion Airline Pilots have on corporate is nothing at all.
So, something like this?
Mad Men.jpg
Only when times are good. Corporate for an airline guy is like that person you call when you can't pickup at the bar. There's always one on speed dial.

As per Scabby though, it sounds like they are not picking up.

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

scabbydoo wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:03 am The truth is, very few corporate flight departments or management companies have any desire for airline guys/gals. There's a misconception of entitlement as well as an inability to provide the same level of service as a career corporate pilot.

While I agree with you in the fact it’s better for corporate operators to hire corporate focused pilots, those two companies you mentioned both know their pay/sched isn’t good enough to keep those airline guys long term. Any company in any industry that focuses their hiring away from the most qualified candidate and in some cases steers towards the least qualified candidates, say basically showing their hands that they know their WAWCON’s are sub-par.
The whole “airline guys couldn’t do my job and provide my level of service” excuse corporate guys like to use is bullsh*t. My 5 year old could do those additional duties. Yes there’s definitely some airline guys that couldn’t/wouldn’t do those duties but there’s definitely some that could/would very easily.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

YC87DRVR wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:28 am
scabbydoo wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:03 am The truth is, very few corporate flight departments or management companies have any desire for airline guys/gals. There's a misconception of entitlement as well as an inability to provide the same level of service as a career corporate pilot.

While I agree with you in the fact it’s better for corporate operators to hire corporate focused pilots, those two companies you mentioned both know their pay/sched isn’t good enough to keep those airline guys long term. Any company in any industry that focuses their hiring away from the most qualified candidate and in some cases steers towards the least qualified candidates, say basically showing their hands that they know their WAWCON’s are sub-par.
The whole “airline guys couldn’t do my job and provide my level of service” excuse corporate guys like to use is bullsh*t. My 5 year old could do those additional duties. Yes there’s definitely some airline guys that couldn’t/wouldn’t do those duties but there’s definitely some that could/would very easily.
Both those companies you menitioned when dealing directly with owners provide sub-par WAWCONS - because they typically advise the cheapest option for said owners. Occasionally more established flight departments have Chartright (or other management company) manage the back-end of the operation (all the OC jargon) while dictating their own WAWCON. Those FDs also provide their own HR, don't fly any charter and have more than 2 flight crew per jet. I think one of those FDs just bought a brand new Global 7500.

I haven't heard anything about Novajet doing it, but Chartright has folded a bunch of larger FDs into their operation that are run independently from Chartrights day-to-day.

I'd say most airline guys feel above the corporate grind - similar to their reaction to Westjet asking flight crews to clean the cabin between legs.

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:25 am

Both those companies you menitioned when dealing directly with owners provide sub-par WAWCONS - because they typically advise the cheapest option for said owners. Occasionally more established flight departments have Chartright (or other management company) manage the back-end of the operation (all the OC jargon) while dictating their own WAWCON. Those FDs also provide their own HR, don't fly any charter and have more than 2 flight crew per jet. I think one of those FDs just bought a brand new Global 7500.

I haven't heard anything about Novajet doing it, but Chartright has folded a bunch of larger FDs into their operation that are run independently from Chartrights day-to-day.

I'd say most airline guys feel above the corporate grind - similar to their reaction to Westjet asking flight crews to clean the cabin between legs.
Wasn’t speaking about two companies specifically, was more so speaking of any employer in any industry that goes out of their way to hire significantly less qualified or even entry level employees does so for one reason. $$$.

But also in response to your post, do not let those two companies off the hook completely and lay the blame on the aircraft owners of FD feet. Those two companies promote cost savings when looking for business and do so by lowering WAWCON’s in addition to other things. Plus isn’t the worst Pilot position for pay and sched at chartright on their owned C560’s? Can’t blame anyone else for that.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

YC87DRVR wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:38 am
Wasn’t speaking about two companies specifically, was more so speaking of any employer in any industry that goes out of their way to hire significantly less qualified or even entry level employees does so for one reason. $$$.

But also in response to your post, do not let those two companies off the hook completely and lay the blame on the aircraft owners of FD feet. Those two companies promote cost savings when looking for business and do so by lowering WAWCON’s in addition to other things. Plus isn’t the worst Pilot position for pay and sched at chartright on their owned C560’s? Can’t blame anyone else for that.
No, I was saying a few larger FDs have chosen to do some cost cutting by reducing backend staff and going for the fixed fees of a management company. That said, the going with those FDs is still relatively good in comparison to just working for an owner who takes all their advice directly from a management company (Skyservice, Innotech, Skycharter, Chartright, et al). Those companies will sell the idea that you can pay a pilot 30% below market, then run 2 crew forcing the pilots only to take vacation on maintenance days and run them on call 24/7. 14/3, laughable because that 3 will shuffle around the charter that only the management company benefits from.

It's great when the airlines are in full flight crew vacuum mode, cause those spots become a helluva lot more negotiable.

Chartright on the 560s is a tougher go, good news is its relatively short lived. Silver lining, its great for a low timer to get their feet wet, flying 600+ hours a year. I have no idea what their current WAWCON is on those things.

PT6-114A
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PT6-114A »

This is solely my personal view on this thread. As I read I think there is a little problem. There is a big difference between 704 and Private/corporate. Once a plane goes to a management company and is available for charter the game totally changes. Yes the pilot workload is the same as corporate but the type of people change big time. I have seen a few planes go to management company’s and they get talked into running two pilots and be available for charter so life style changes big time.
There are few true corporate departments left. I believe that they might look at a airline pilot out of work as a do not hire. Not that they dont have the skill to fly but may lack the other half of the job. The flight planing, bags, cleaning, catering and direct dealing with the passengers. Not that they can’t do it there is some reluctance to do these things. I have worked with this type. “What I have to have my phone on well at home?” “I’m not loading bags” “the passengers are late!”
As someone pointed out above. Some come from a leave or layoff and as soon as things get better they run back. Years ago I worked with a guy that came on a leave. His give a shit level was so low, and everything was compared to how it was done at the airlines.I get not every airline pilot is like this!
Someone said corporate is like a life line for airline pilots like it’s there like some dirty little backup/fall back plan. I feel this is not the case. I think there are either airline pilots or corporate aviators. Again totally my opinion!
It takes a different type of personality to do this line of flying. That being said I don’t think I could deal with being an airline pilot.
I guess this is more of a Corporate view on Airline pilots.

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

It's as simple as "remembering where you came from"! If you are fresh off the "ramp/dock", you'll gladly fly 14 hours straight!
If you are "703 experienced", then you start questioning..WTF!
Once you have been submersed in "704-705"..it's difficult to re-adapt to "the blue-collar way"! :smt102

Keep the dirty side down.
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Great topic guys, sounds like management companies are doing well through all this craziness? Is that because of their low DOC budget that they promise aircraft owners? Is business aviation picking up in Canada to date or is it still slower than expected recovery?

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

I think both those companies mentioned keep wawcons the way they are because they can. I wonder what the turnover is like due to that fact, but as a business model it doesn’t seem to make much sense other than saving a few bucks.

GTFA
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by GTFA »

The original article is unfortunately vague and misleading with regards to the roles and responsibilities of an airline pilot.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

GTFA wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:49 am The original article is unfortunately vague and misleading with regards to the roles and responsibilities of an airline pilot.
It certainly isn't Pulitzer prize material, that's for sure.

Return to “Corporate”