Will this industry ever recover?

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Will this industry ever recover?

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

I think it's inevitable that the industry will recover. The question is not "IF" but rather "WHEN".

People are eager to travel. I just took my first overseas trip since the start of the pandemic. Coming back from Europe, my flight was 100% full and that's with all the draconian requirements imposed by Canada. I am fully vaccinated, had a PCR test in Europe the day before departing, had another PCR test upon landing in Canada (both negative) and went through 7 or 8 forms and passport / boarding pass checks. (That's a whole different topic).

Once governments realize that COVID isn't going away and they find we find a way to live with it, travel will bounce back and it will exceed 2019 levels. Before Covid-19, the major carriers were short of pilots and started tapping into flight schools and signing agreements with various operators for pilots to "flow through" various regional and mainline carriers.

While business travel in Canada will subside a bit, it won't be the "doom and gloom" some people are presenting.

Bottom line:
Things will get better, then worse, then better, then worse. Aviation was always an "UP & DOWN" industry. (Pun intended).

Stay positive. You have to be able to adapt and ride these waves. Getting into a decent company and building seniority will be key to your success in handling these waves.

Cheers
RoAF-Mig21
---------- ADS -----------

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

Depends if they remove the testing requirements.

Many people will not take the risk to be stuck 2 extra weeks at destination for a positive covid test.

Koalemos
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Koalemos »

While travel will undoubtedly return, the WAWCON for pilots will not. It has been on a downward trajectory even during boom times. At some point single pilot flight decks will happen (10 years, 30 years, who knows) as Airbus/Boeing are already working on it.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Wow, wish this was the case in Canada.

Pilots Are in Demand Again, as Strained Airlines Go on a Hiring Spree

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pilots-are ... 1636367402

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Just think of how great you'll feel when you "make it". Who said life was easy? We are tougher here in our country because things are genuinely harder.

Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

Just think of how great you'll feel when you "make it". Who said life was easy? We are tougher here in our country because things are genuinely harder.
Still a multi thousand $ hiring bonus would be nice!

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

Launchpad1 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:31 pm
Still a multi thousand $ hiring bonus would be nice!
I won't be applying until there is a signing bonus! #SolidaritySureWouldChangeThings! :idea:

Keep the dirty side down.
goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

Launchpad1 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:31 pm Still a multi thousand $ hiring bonus would be nice!
Signing bonus tends to happen when a company has more openings than qualified applicants. I have offered them in the past for design engineers. In 20 years of being involved with the hiring for pilots, never once have I seen a time when we didn't have more than 10 applications on file when a position came available, and the norm is to have far more than that.

Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

Signing bonus tends to happen when a company has more openings than qualified applicants. I have offered them in the past for design engineers. In 20 years of being involved with the hiring for pilots, never once have I seen a time when we didn't have more than 10 applications on file when a position came available, and the norm is to have far more than that.
True. I do know though that (before covid) some cargo operations in Canada were offering sign on bonuses.

I'd just like the salary in Canada to be as good as that in the US. It's not like it costs less to live here than it does down south.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”