Cargojet fires some AC furloughs

Discuss topics relating to Cargojet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Thorjones
Rank 1
Rank 1

Cargojet fires some AC furloughs

Post by Thorjones »

About 20 or so from what I heard, in one conference call that lasted 2 or 3 mins....

My heart goes out to them and their families.
---------- ADS -----------

tango308
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Cargojet fires some AC furloughs

Post by tango308 »

Keep it classy CJ, you are the next Atlas Air.

Hopefully these folks get recalled to AC quickly.

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

Cargojet just being petty? Seeing a recall in their future and firing them before they could quit? Obviously none of the AC furloughs at Cargojet planned on staying once AC started recalling.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

Wouldn't be surprised if this is retribution for them joining ALPA. Fire AC guys that were likely going to leave anyways and send a message to the rest of the pilots.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by a2btrail »

Thorjones wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:52 am About 20 or so from what I heard, in one conference call that lasted 2 or 3 mins....

I can confirm this. 23 is the new count so far. 2 of my friends with families are casualties. CJ let roughly half of the AC Furs who were coming up to their 1 year probation. Heartless. All because the Co. hated the fact that these guys stood up for better representation for the entire pilot group by influencing the vote in favour of the upcoming new rep of ALPA. CJ has accomplished nothing by doing this lol. ALPA in a few weeks will be taking over.

throwaway767guy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by throwaway767guy »

Looks like Cargojet is using this section of the CBA to justify the mass firing:
9.01 PROBATIONARY PERIOD

A new Flight Crew Member shall be required to serve a probationary period of twelve (12) consecutive months commencing at the completion of his initial pilot proficiency check as a Flight Crew Member. No Flight Crew Member shall be required to serve more than one probationary period unless mutually agreed upon between the Company and Union. The Company reserves the right to make any decision regarding the retention and discharge of a probationary employee for any reason. The Flight Crew Member concerned shall have no recourse to the grievance or arbitration procedures in this Collective Agreement to contest his dismissal during his probationary period.
To my knowledge, all of the AC employees who have been fired had not yet reached the end of their probationary period. I wouldn't be surprised to see mass firings continue as more AC guys reach the end of their probation.

There are also a number of Sunwing pilots on property due to an arrangement between Cargojet's and Sunwing's unions when they were both under Unifor, I wonder if their jobs will be in jeopardy as well now that Cargojet has made the switch to ALPA.

Either way, this is reprehensible conduct. If I were in these pilot's shoes, I would absolutely be looking into the possibility of a class-action lawsuit. I think any competent labour lawyer could make the argument that this section of the CBA is meant to deal with individual cases and not to provide the company with the mechanism to conduct mass firings; especially given the recent switch in unions, it's easy to make the case that this is a reprisal action.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

Hopefully Porter picks them up to run their Embraers initially.

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

Dry Guy wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:20 am Hopefully Porter picks them up to run their Embraers initially.
Can't see that happening, unfortunately. By the time Porter starts flying their Embraers in 3Q 2022, most of these guys will likely be recalled or close to a recall.

Keep in mind, the reason Cargojet hired them was that they had the 767 type rating. Without a current Embraer type rating, I can't see it making sense from Porter's perspective, but I do hope that they will be able to find gainful employment in the interim - I'd love to be proven wrong.

My condolences go out to all the furloughed AC pilots and their families who will be affected by this. Hang in there, better times are coming.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Although you don’t need just cause to fire someone on probation if it can be shown that a group that lead union activity were fired for that reason they could have retribution as that’s not legal

sportingrifle
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sportingrifle »

AC should recall them to fill the 36 767 cargo operation vacancies and watch how hard they work to compete with their previous "employer." :lol:

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

ARTICLE 9 – PROBATION

9.01 PROBATIONARY PERIOD

A new Flight Crew Member shall be required to serve a probationary period of twelve (12) consecutive months commencing at the completion of his initial pilot proficiency check as a Flight Crew Member. No Flight Crew Member shall be required to serve more than one probationary period unless mutually agreed upon between the Company and Union. The Company reserves the right to make any decision regarding the retention and discharge of a probationary employee for any reason. The Flight Crew Member concerned shall have no recourse to the grievance or arbitration procedures in this Collective Agreement to contest his dismissal during his probationary period.

Unfortunately, no requirement for ‘cause’ termination nor prohibition from ‘arbitrary’ termination while on probation. Very weak language (thanks UNIFOR/CAW).

They were hired due to type endorsement (courtesy of AC) and terminated due recall rights (courtesy of AC). Double edged sword.

Any word on status of furloughed SWG pilots at CJT?

Last edited by rudder on Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

Thorjones wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:52 am About 20 or so from what I heard, in one conference call that lasted 2 or 3 mins....

The remainder will be gone when they come back from their pairing.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Should we be expecting another Keith D’Mello video on how to get a new job?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

How much CJT flying (YHM) is being moved to the offshore operations (US/MEX)?

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

alkaseltzer wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:30 pm

Are all of the AC furloughs on probation at CJ?

FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FighterPilot »

iflyroads wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:01 pm
alkaseltzer wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:30 pm

Are all of the AC furloughs on probation at CJ?
Most were on contract for several months, eventually given full time positions. CJ CBA has a one year probationary period. All 23 were still on "probation." Still a few AC pilots there, the 23 seemingly selected at random.

WestJet Puke
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WestJet Puke »

Can CargoJet lose 23 guys and not feel a pinch? Their pilot group isn't that big to begin with........

bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

WestJet Puke wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:33 pm Can CargoJet lose 23 guys and not feel a pinch? Their pilot group isn't that big to begin with........
Not really... They've been asking the pilots to give up their vacation time all year, captains have been forced to work 2 extra days every month all year. There's more ground schools planned for Sept & Oct but they won't be online in time for the peak season.

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:53 pm Should we be expecting another Keith D’Mello video on how to get a new job?
That genuinely made me laugh out loud. Thank you!

Captain Kirk

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

In the Lion King, the hyenas eventually turned on Scar.

Return to “Cargojet”