How difficult is it to become an RCAF pilot?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: How difficult is it to become an RCAF pilot?

Post by DanWEC »

As far as I know, even hanging it all up at the end of your commitment would you not end up with a better pension than the matching contribution plan from any other domestic airline?
---------- ADS -----------

Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Posthumane »

The pension amounts to 2% of your annual salary (averaged over your best 5 years) for every year you serve. If you serve more than 25 years (regular force) then you can collect the pension as soon as you get out. If leave after less than 25 years you can only start to collect the pension when you reach retirement age. However, that 2% is actually split between 1.375% of full pension amount and 0.625% of "bridging" amount to get you to the CPP age. As soon as you collect CPP that pension amount disappears, so even though you're paying into both you really only get one or the other. Whether that's better or worse than a defined contribution pension depends on your investing skill and luck.

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

After 25 years you will get a pension of around 70k per year, inflation protected and with survivor benefits. I would suggest looking up how much it would cost to buy an annuity with similar payout and then ask how you are going to get that amount in your company’s DC pension

The CAF DB pension is pretty much the best retirement benefit available. It may seem like not that big a deal when you are in your thirties, but trust me it will be huge when you are in your fifties.

Littlefish
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Littlefish »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:32 pm After 25 years you will get a pension of around 70k per year, inflation protected and with survivor benefits. I would suggest looking up how much it would cost to buy an annuity with similar payout and then ask how you are going to get that amount in your company’s DC pension

The CAF DB pension is pretty much the best retirement benefit available. It may seem like not that big a deal when you are in your thirties, but trust me it will be huge when you are in your fifties.
Yeah, it seems like the ultimate financial parachute.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Once you're into late 30's/early 40's you're into your body changing as well. Glasses become common, and those are a disqualifier at initial application i'm told.

Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Posthumane »

Glasses are no longer a disqualifier on initial application, although the vision standard on application is still higher than what is tolerated for a winged pilot should their vision deteriorate.

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw
TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

If you’ve already completed and passed aircrew selection and the medical at CFEME then you’ve cleared the largest hurdle. Those are, by far, the stages that remove the greatest number of candidates.

Is aircrew selection the hardest part of training? Not even close, but it may be the most stressful as its a pass/fail event. What most find as training progresses, provided they aren’t below the curve, is that technical difficulty increases while stress decreases. As quantity of and quality of instruction increases proficiency and confidence are gained.

Of the students who make it to Ph2 in Moose Jaw approx 85-90% go on to earn their wings.

Littlefish
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Littlefish »

TT1900 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:39 pm If you’ve already completed and passed aircrew selection and the medical at CFEME then you’ve cleared the largest hurdle. Those are, by far, the stages that remove the greatest number of candidates.

Is aircrew selection the hardest part of training? Not even close, but it may be the most stressful as its a pass/fail event. What most find as training progresses, provided they aren’t below the curve, is that technical difficulty increases while stress decreases. As quantity of and quality of instruction increases proficiency and confidence are gained.

Of the students who make it to Ph2 in Moose Jaw approx 85-90% go on to earn their wings.
You sound like you're speaking from experience. Do you know if prior military aviation experience (AESOP, FE, ACSO, etc) has any real impact on success rates throughout the training system?

TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

Honestly have no idea.

I saw perhaps a half-dozen ACSO’s and about the same Army/Navy transfer’s in my time there. Don’t recall any former FE’s or AESOP’s. From what I recall the failure/withdraw rate was likely higher than the off the street or RMC groups, but the sample size is too small to draw meaningful conclusions.

I will say that occupational transfers, much like CPL/flight college grads, seemed to fall towards the tails of the curve in both directions. The guys from other trades either modified and harnessed their professional military knowledge to excel, or went the other way becoming argumentative and combative. CPL/flight college people same thing, but flying knowledge vice military knowledge.

Littlefish
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Littlefish »

Sounds like the key for those with prior experience would be to just stay humble and assume that the IPs know more than you and are teaching you their way for a reason. Thanks for the insight, TT1900.

TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

Littlefish wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:03 pm Sounds like the key for those with prior experience would be to just stay humble and assume that the IPs know more than you and are teaching you their way for a reason. Thanks for the insight, TT1900.
Stay humble, work hard, and be accountable. The last part is huge, you must be willing to admit error and accept criticism. This applies equally to both students and IP’s, and doubly so once on squadron. Don’t expect any ego pumps or soft handling, there isn’t time for it.

I left the school as an A2 instructor with nearly 1000hrs instructional. I never had a perfect flight, either in my own flying or in my teaching technique. I can promise many of my students knew more about aviation than I did. Some were better sticks than I was. But I was the one who knew what follow on training would require. Listen carefully and never walk out of the briefing with questions in your head. Questions, ideally, should help both the student and instructor grow professionally.

At the end of the day it’s about mutual respect and professionalism. Every instructor you meet in Moose Jaw has one goal, to help you become a better pilot than they are. Remember that and the criticism will be easy to take.

Gonzodriver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Gonzodriver »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:32 pm After 25 years you will get a pension of around 70k per year, inflation protected and with survivor benefits. I would suggest looking up how much it would cost to buy an annuity with similar payout and then ask how you are going to get that amount in your company’s DC pension

The potential pension amount is now much more after the recent pay increase for pilots. I'd say it's closer to 95-100k pension now and with the pay increase over the next 25 years to somebody who enrolls today.

Littlefish
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Littlefish »

Bumping with an update. I've been accepted to the RCAF pilot program. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can best prepare for PH1,2,3? I'd prefer not to break the bank by spending 10s of thousands of dollars on civvy flight training, but if that'll make a huge difference between me succeeding and getting my wings, and failing into another occupation I'd still be willing to pay up. Alternatively, if studying the ground school material in advance would be beneficial, I'd appreciate some pointers on where to look for that.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

I wouldn’t worry about getting flight training done ahead of time, the Phase I course is very different from the PPL syllabus. It won’t hurt, but anything more than a few hours is a waste.
I would spend some time reading the Weather Manual and some of the basis texts like From The Ground Up.

AstroPants
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AstroPants »

Littlefish wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:22 pm Bumping with an update. I've been accepted to the RCAF pilot program. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can best prepare for PH1,2,3? I'd prefer not to break the bank by spending 10s of thousands of dollars on civvy flight training, but if that'll make a huge difference between me succeeding and getting my wings, and failing into another occupation I'd still be willing to pay up. Alternatively, if studying the ground school material in advance would be beneficial, I'd appreciate some pointers on where to look for that.
Congrats. It's a heck of a ride.

If anything, take a few intro lessons in a small plane to get used to it. PH1 is a selection course, and part of it is 'am I afraid of flying' surprisingly enough.

Otherwise, I wouldn't bother getting too far ahead on things. Courses are designed to take you from the logical start point to the required terminal grades. You get the required time and resources to more than accomplish this. If anything, learn the basics of IF - that's a big part of PH2 and can be a big differentiator from what I saw. But even that is likley getting too far ahead.

Best advice is to be humble, work hard and above all be a good dude/gal. Work with and have fun with your course mates along the way. Don't try and overthink the courses and stress to try and "top the middle third" to get your first choice.. just work hard, and let the chips fall where they may. There are no bad jobs.

Above all, try and take time to enjoy every step of the way. It can be a marathon. It will be stressful at times, but take the few minutes on each flight look over the wing and realize you're being paid to fly a pretty cool machine. You'll probably spend time waiting as an OJT, but use that time to learn about the job, and try and advance yourself in the professional development side.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Best advice I can give you is work your ass off.

There is nothing you can do ahead of the course that would give you an edge. Just eat up everything they throw at you, as previously mentioned be humble and heed every advice thrown your way. The folks there want you to succeed and will do everything they can to help you, but they can't pass the course for you.

Remember, they will not teach you how to fly, they will teach you how to fly THEIR WAY. We all know there are many ways to skin a cat, but don't fight it, just do it as it is taught and all will be well.

Good luck!

(Former Ph 3 Helo instructor)

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

Outlaw58 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:56 am Remember, they will not teach you how to fly, they will teach you how to fly THEIR WAY.
When I did ACS, I was told my CPL was actually a big disadvantage.

Me262
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Me262 »

If you are considering this dysfunctional institution be prepared to wait 5 years to just get your wings. Friend is waiting over 2.5years to start Ph2 in MJ from his Ph1.

Littlefish
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Littlefish »

Me262 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:33 am If you are considering this dysfunctional institution be prepared to wait 5 years to just get your wings. Friend is waiting over 2.5years to start Ph2 in MJ from his Ph1.
Brutal, but say it with me: "It's all pensionable time!"

TopG
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TopG »

They have a pilot shortage.

Return to “Flight Training”