Instructor Rating in Canada

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

aspilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Instructor Rating in Canada

Post by aspilot »

Hi guys,

I hope you are all doing well.

I am an ICAO CPL/SE-IR holder with 205 hours. I am exploring the idea to convert my license and do FI rating in Canada. I have done thorough research and short-listed some flight schools. I am aware of the visa conditions and that I need an 8-month minimum study permit to be able to eligible for the PGWP. Since I will be going through Conversion + ME + FI rating, It will be enough for a 1-year study permit as per some of the flight schools and then I can apply for PGWP then be able to work for a year and apply for PR but the IRCC has set some conditions for flight graduates as stated down below.

"To be eligible for a PGWP, you must meet one of these requirements:

You’ve completed a flight training course at a Canadian training centre and now have a Canadian commercial pilot’s license, or
You have or you are in the process of getting an instructor’s rating, and you have a job offer to work as a flight instructor at a flight training centre."

So the thing that concerns me is the fact that I would have very little time to get a job offer as I would have to apply for PGWP when my study permit is valid and especially with the current climate of the aviation industry, it would be tough.

I was hoping if anyone could share their personal experience or maybe advice me on what I can do? Maybe take the risk? Or extend my study permit for another year? But extending for another year would be costly. any suggestions would help.

Thank you,
---------- ADS -----------

jjma
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Instructor Rating in Canada

Post by jjma »

Hello,

You have a valid concern, especially right now with how the industry is doing, I would say it's probably a bad idea to put a big pressure on you to get a job. But, eventually everything that goes up will come down again.

I came to Canada with the same idea, but thanks to God I was sponsored by my wife and didn't have to go through all of that. But I do know some students that got hired by the schools and now they are building some Canadian experience to apply in the future.

What I am trying to say is: It's possible to fail and have to go back, but if you really want to do it and you are willing to sacrifice money and time for few years; definitely try it.

Davidbawer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Instructor Rating in Canada

Post by Davidbawer »

What about now in 2022 ?? I'm thinking of coming to Vancouver to get my instructor's rating and start my career there ?

Return to “Flight Training”