Best guess when hiring will happen

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Best guess when hiring will happen

Post by Kosiw »

rudder wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:37 am
RegionalPilot wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:48 pm I do have a feeling (based on no facts) that HR will bring back those 2 cancelled 2020 ground schools classes at one point between spring and summer. By the time they start contacting people, and get them back into the system (maybe doing another sim eval, interview?), summer will be around the corner.
The pilots with rescinded job offers (that’s what it was - they never achieved employee status with Jazz) will likely repeat medical assessment and drug screening. Unlikely to repeat interview or simulator technical evaluation, although you never know if it turns out they have been inactive flying. They will also likely be the first offered courses whenever that happens in 2022.

As for the ‘pool’, my guess is Jazz will start from scratch. Two years is a long time. Therefore keeping resume updated (are you actively flying? Have you upgraded? Are you flying a Part 705 aircraft?) or submitting a new applicant file for a more qualified candidate will matter when the time comes to start the pool process again. If Big Red is going to start hiring again it means a return to meaningful attrition for Jazz. And while it has become the norm to hire a component from the college programs, Jazz also needs pilots that are upgradeable within 2 years. That means arriving with an ATPL and some meaningful flying experience.
Hi Rudder,

For those who may want to remain at Jazz (once the hiring at Jazz and movement to AC resumes), what is your reasoning/theory that it will take 2 yrs to a left seat at Jazz ?

BTW, regarding Jazz HR (and take this with a grain of salt) the info I was hearing as of this past summer was that they "hoped" to be in touch with those with cancelled course dates by early in the new year of 22, it was also anticipated for this group, a "partial" hiring process would be required. (Interview/Drug Test/Updated Criminal Background Check) no mention of sim evals...maybe this info has changed since then...
---------- ADS -----------

Gravity always wins
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Kosiw wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:53 am
Hi Rudder,

For those who may want to remain at Jazz (once the hiring at Jazz and movement to AC resumes), what is your reasoning/theory that it will take 2 yrs to a left seat at Jazz ?
Pre-COVID, there were left seat awards at Jazz at or below 2 years of service (I think that some awards may have been as low as 1 year). And while that will not be the case in 2022, as hiring ramps up at AC commencing in late 2022/early 2023 it is possible if not likely that from 2023-2025 Jazz will see the possibility of left seat going to some pilots (those that have ATPL and bid for it and pass the upgrade training) at the 2 year range. And I mean 2 years of active service, not 3 months of service and 18 months Inactive. So a 2020 hire date might be looking at 2024 junior system upgrade. 2022 hire date might be in the same range.

It will all depend on rate of flow to AC. Not sure if the days of 300+ per year flow will be back anytime soon. But you never know.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

rudder wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:27 am
Kosiw wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:53 am
Hi Rudder,

Pre-COVID, there were left seat awards at Jazz at or below 2 years of service (I think that some awards may have been as low as 1 year). And while that will not be the case in 2022, as hiring ramps up at AC commencing in late 2022/early 2023 it is possible if not likely that from 2023-2025 Jazz will see the possibility of left seat going to some pilots (those that have ATPL and bid for it and pass the upgrade training) at the 2 year range. And I mean 2 years of active service, not 3 months of service and 18 months Inactive. So a 2020 hire date might be looking at 2024 junior system upgrade. 2022 hire date might be in the same range.

It will all depend on rate of flow to AC. Not sure if the days of 300+ per year flow will be back anytime soon. But you never know.
In the initial 2019-1 bid, there was a CA seat that was awarded to a pilot that was still undergoing CIT. He eventually lost his seat after the bid review period. In the 2020-1 bid, there were some CA seats that were unfilled but the pandemic hit before we had to deal with "first" in Jazz history. So yes we have seen CA awards well below the 1 year mark.

All that to say that in this post COVID period, the move to the left seat might take a bit longer for the pilots just returning to active status. But for those that are actually on the sidelines waiting for a NH class, I'd say make sure you have that ATPL in hand before CIT or you will get bypassed by those who do faster than you might think. I know it sucks at the moment but brighter days are no longer over the the horizon...they are in line of sight!

58 (the optimistic)

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

Some of us who got upgraded don't have effective and training dates till fall 2022. What are the odds of said training to be advanced in early 2022? Some have effective dates in October of 2022 but training this month (Nov 2021)....What's the plan with that?? How does it make any sense to be effective in late 2022 with training NOW. I for example have people junior to be with same effective date as me but doing their upgrade training now. Does that mean they will fly left seat after or remain right seat till effective date?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

CPT.HarshColdReality wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:20 am Some of us who got upgraded don't have effective and training dates till fall 2022. What are the odds of said training to be advanced in early 2022? Some have effective dates in October of 2022 but training this month (Nov 2021)....What's the plan with that?? How does it make any sense to be effective in late 2022 with training NOW. I for example have people junior to be with same effective date as me but doing their upgrade training now. Does that mean they will fly left seat after or remain right seat till effective date?
All explained in company and ALPA bulletins.

LOU57 modified training sequence, not effective dates. There will be bypass pay for pilots who’s training is delayed where junior pilots are upgraded out of seniority.

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

I know for a fact that a few people on the april canceled ground school just accepted upgrades at their 703 current employer (and therefore getting a fresh bond).

What would be the likelihood of those guys/gals to get « rehired » within their original class, and then getting a LOA since they are now bonded for a year? Would the company be nice enough to accommodate those people?

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

I’d imagine probably not but by next may to oct it could be 7 to 10 months out so the buy out should be reasonable and worth while. That’s my logic at least.

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

Things will happen faster then people anticipate. Too many vacancies, and flying is ramping up fast. I heard loads are decent across the board at AC.

Caterpillar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Caterpillar »

Seeing the Encore post made me very excited and anxious once again to the potential of joining Jazz in a near future. What is the latest news on the potential hiring in 2022?

Since I’m flying the King Air, does that qualify me to fly the Queen of the skies?
RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

Caterpillar wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:25 pm Seeing the Encore post made me very excited and anxious once again to the potential of joining Jazz in a near future. What is the latest news on the potential hiring in 2022?
I believe the answer lies with the overall state of the industry and retirements. The quicker things ramp up, the more flying we'll do both at mainline and Jazz. Once Air Canada starts hiring again, a lot of Jazz pilots will make that transition. That creates openings at Jazz and they'll start hiring again.

For now, everyone is focused on getting back to normal: ramping up flying, calling back pilots that were on lay-off, retiring aircraft and getting everyone trained and assigned on their aircraft / base.

I certainly could not guess, but things are looking up. I got back from Europe (2nd time in two months) this Sunday and my AC flight was packed. That's good news as far as I'm concerned.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Another difference is the mainline carrier for each, Westjet is going to have all pilots back for May 1 and AC will still be a while until that happens.

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

Last Jazz pilots will start training somewhere between july and october, depending on how things are ramping up.

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

What do you mean? Can they advance training? I thought the sims were running full steam!

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

CPT.HarshColdReality wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:55 pm What do you mean? Can they advance training? I thought the sims were running full steam!
They could, yes. Or so says someone in the management (off the record of course).

From what I heard the biggest bottleneck is instructor availabilities, not sim time. I guess it depends on the aircraft type too.

Last edited by the-minister31 on Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

the-minister31 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:35 pm Last Jazz pilots will start training somewhere between july and october, depending on how things are ramping up.
Not 100% accurate.

Last Jazz pilots will start training on their awarded position between july and october. If you factor in pilots being trained temporarily on their previous equipment, we could have nearly 100% trained much earlier than that.

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

Outlaw58 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:02 am
the-minister31 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:35 pm Last Jazz pilots will start training somewhere between july and october, depending on how things are ramping up.
Not 100% accurate.

Last Jazz pilots will start training on their awarded position between july and october. If you factor in pilots being trained temporarily on their previous equipment, we could have nearly 100% trained much earlier than that.

Yes but quite a few are on DSC until then. Anyway it still means hiring would probably resume in the same period. All depends on Big Red hiring though.

Caterpillar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Caterpillar »

Not 100% accurate.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the people I know that got recalled (low on the list) already went thru retraining and are flying blocks. How many is there left to be trained on their pre bid equipment?

Since I’m flying the King Air, does that qualify me to fly the Queen of the skies?
the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

Caterpillar wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:59 pm
Not 100% accurate.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the people I know that got recalled (low on the list) already went thru retraining and are flying blocks. How many is there left to be trained on their pre bid equipment?
As far as I know, everyone that did not have a PPC before being laidoff. Plus the ones that got displaced from the DH8 are trained out of seniority, some will only be back next summer.

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

RegionalPilot wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:09 pm Things will happen faster then people anticipate. Too many vacancies, and flying is ramping up fast. I heard loads are decent across the board at AC.
You think sooner then by next summer?

fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fixnfly »

Caterpillar wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:59 pm
Not 100% accurate.

I think everyone who wanted to go back had the chance to do so in September. Hopefully by next summer Jazz will be hiring but like minister mentioned earlier, the company still needs to train several hundred people. Everyone that did not have a PPC before being laidoff as well as those that got displaced from the DH8 and those who opted for a LOA in September instead of returning immediately, thus deferring their recall date for whenever their training date on their new aircraft is scheduled which is October 2022 for some. That's why unless those training dates are moved up, I cant see Jazz bringing on new people till all their guys are brought back flying in the fall of next year. That's my understanding in talks with the Crew requirements committee but of course things could change quickly

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”