Best guess when hiring will happen

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Best guess when hiring will happen

Post by rudder »

link821 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:21 pm
Genuinely curious and not a snarky question here but was jazz under any obligation to take on the sky regional/Georgian pilots?
Just look up ‘quid pro quo’. This is a good example. One if my friends best described it as ‘dis for dat’.

Approximately 110 GGN and 278 SKV pilots were added to the Jazz list on a DOH basis. In most cases, that has allowed them to maintain their former status (with some speed bumps for the former GGN pilots). Of these 388 pilots, 50% or more will likely leave for AC once mainline hiring resumes.

In exchange, the Express flying was repatriated to one operator - Jazz - and the work belongs to just one pilot bargaining unit (Jazz ALPA). Effectively a return to late 2009 with the effective transfer of the 15 former mainline E175 airframes to Jazz plus 10 more E175 airframes from SKV.

So, once the dust settles, probably 100-140 pilots will remain at Jazz long term with the 25+ airframes. For some, a reasonable outcome. However, that may not line up with the perspective of any Jazz pilot that lost seniority position to pilots added from GGN and SKV.
---------- ADS -----------

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

How is the 175 initial program going? Has it been approved/has training started yet?

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

QKZXKV wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:33 pm How is the 175 initial program going? Has it been approved/has training started yet?
As far as I know it has not been approved yet. They were expecting it next month if absolutely everything was going according to plan, which is never the case with TC...

So yeah, probably another 1-2 months minimum, maybe more. And people transiting from the classic (and maybe other aircraft) + those who did not hold a PPC at SKV have to be trained prior to any hiring on the 175. I am curious to know how many are waiting for that initial.

swervin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by swervin »

It's been approved. First course February 14.

swervin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by swervin »

It's been approved. First course February 14.

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

any info on the number of classic dash pilots needing to be retrained?

Last edited by link821 on Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

swervin wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:38 pm It's been approved. First course February 14.
Wow, that's amazing! I guess my intel was outdated haha

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

link821 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:04 pm any info on the number of classic dash pilots needing to be retrained?
Everybody I think. Isn't the last classic dash flight this weekend?

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:12 am
link821 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:04 pm any info on the number of classic dash pilots needing to be retrained?
Today I believe.

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

Nope, a number were recalled have been re-trained either to the Q4 or CRJ already. The ones going to the 175 have been sitting getting daily credit for a year.

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

swervin wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:38 pm It's been approved. First course February 14.
Fantastic! Thanks

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

link821 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:15 pm
Today I believe.
Last commercial flight is scheduled to land in YYZ from YTS around 2130 tonight.

Last operational tails are already being ferried to YYB with the last 3 tails on Tuesday morning.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

When would a bid be run next? Last one was in August right?

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

How useful would be to have a bid if the training events are still to be run up until the end of 2022 ?

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

link821 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:53 am When would a bid be run next? Last one was in August right?
Next contractual equipment bid is Jan 15, 2022. However, it is within the purview of the company and ALPA to delay or cancel Equipment bid 2022-1. Likely next equipment bid will be 2022-2 Aug 15, 2022. The company can with LOU with agreement from ALPA adjust baseline numbers upward and down - (due to attrition only). With training dates all the way out to the fall of 2022 its likely equipment bid 2022-2 will be the next one. That being said......who knows!

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

I would like to come back on the main subject for a minute.

What is the likelyhood that Jazz will be running new ground schools before all the training events from the last bid are done? From an organization standpoint, you need staff to run your company while so many of your current staff are sidelined for training. On the other side, if you incorporate more training events for the new hires, you just overload your system and delay the completion of the previous bid results.

This is why I was surprised they didn’t hire sooner. I’m still convinced they need staff fully trained on the line to cover for all the training happening. Unless they are very comfortable with running low on crew since the winter & spring schedule is not too heavy.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

RegionalPilot wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:40 am I would like to come back on the main subject for a minute.

What is the likelyhood that Jazz will be running new ground schools before all the training events from the last bid are done? From an organization standpoint, you need staff to run your company while so many of your current staff are sidelined for training. On the other side, if you incorporate more training events for the new hires, you just overload your system and delay the completion of the previous bid results.

This is why I was surprised they didn’t hire sooner. I’m still convinced they need staff fully trained on the line to cover for all the training happening. Unless they are very comfortable with running low on crew since the winter & spring schedule is not too heavy.
Hiring fall 2022 soonest. 100% dependant upon attrition to AC.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

RegionalPilot wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:40 am I would like to come back on the main subject for a minute.

Don't use the fall training events as a mean to predict hiring. Most if not all pilots will be trained before summer. Trained on a type but not necessarily their awarded type before summer.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Outlaw58 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:02 am

Don't use the fall training events as a mean to predict hiring. Most if not all pilots will be trained before summer. Trained on a type but not necessarily their awarded type before summer.

Given the size of this bid and I’m comfortable saying, the majority of training will be a full course, adding new hires in the mix won’t accomplish anything other than delay more training events. There are pilots sitting at home on pay waiting for training.
They will hire when the forecast flying exceeds the pilot resources, not before, it’s not like there is a shortage of pilots now.
If I were in the job market, I’d be trying for Porter, that way when Jazz buys them, you’ll get date of hire. Of course, I joke, sort of;-)’

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”