Best guess when hiring will happen

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Best guess when hiring will happen

Post by the-minister31 »

I truly think summer will be busy !
---------- ADS -----------

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

the-minister31 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:54 am I truly think summer will be busy !
As I was saying earlier, I spend quite some time researching on Google Flights what I call barometer routes and I tried to compare with 2019 and also short term availability in January and February.

YYZ - PHL - 5 flights daily in June
YYC - YUL - 5 flights daily in June
YVR - LAX - 6 flights daily in June
YYZ - YHZ - 10 flights daily in Jun
YYZ - YVR - Close to 20 flights daily in June

All those numbers are about double of what we have currently in January and February. I know the current schedule is a winter schedule, my point is there is A LOT of flying in the upcoming summer months.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

RegionalPilot wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:30 am
As I was saying earlier, I spend quite some time researching on Google Flights what I call barometer routes and I tried to compare with 2019 and also short term availability in January and February.

YYZ - PHL - 5 flights daily in June
YYC - YUL - 5 flights daily in June
YVR - LAX - 6 flights daily in June
YYZ - YHZ - 10 flights daily in Jun
YYZ - YVR - Close to 20 flights daily in June

All those numbers are about double of what we have currently in January and February. I know the current schedule is a winter schedule, my point is there is A LOT of flying in the upcoming summer months.
There are a lot of flights that have been ‘planned’ by marketing and subsequently cancelled by commercial. Not saying that will repeat itself summer 2022 but this year has not thus far panned out even remotely how the CDN airlines thought it would.

Hopefully NFLD will take down their steel curtain. And optimistically the summer domestic schedule may reflect capacity volume approaching a non-COVID environment. Transborder will still be diminished vs summer 2019 and even against the original 2022 recovery plan. International will remain a challenge, and impediments to unfettered movement will remain unless we elect a new Federal government. Testing and quarantine are not stimulants to travel. And if course, many jurisdictions will maintain even tighter entry restrictions than Canada.

We should be happy that most surplus pilots will be back on payroll. Expectations about hiring need to be tempered.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

jpilot77 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:23 am
PostmasterGeneral wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:43 am
RegionalPilot wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:54 pm

Let’s assume AC starts hiring in Fall, 1 class per month. With what you see on the bid, is that enough to trigger hiring for Jazz right away (filing 1 departure to AC by 1 new hire)? Or we could only see the first ground schools happening in 2023?
I think AC hiring in the fall is very optimistic. There are still 300 guys without a recall, and the last of the first 300 still doesn't have a training date for awhile. With things starting to slow down around here again, I'd wager that all current pilots will be back on property by spring of 2023. At which point, outside hiring may commence.

The 2022 seniority list was published yesterday, movement upward was ~90 spots or so this year, so not a ton of guys retired or resigned.
I disagree, yes things have slowed down but the world is starting to move past Covid, I think things will be very busy in not long. If AC waits till next spring to have everyone back we will definitely be behind the 8 ball.
Maybe the rest of the world is, but not Canada.

The fact of the matter is, even if they wanted everyone back on property tomorrow, there just aren’t the training resources available to retrain everybody currently on furlough, in addition to all of the events triggered by the last bid.

737Maximilian
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 737Maximilian »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:47 pm The fact of the matter is, even if they wanted everyone back on property tomorrow, there just aren’t the training resources available to retrain everybody currently on furlough, in addition to all of the events triggered by the last bid.
AC announced another round of recalls yesterday for 138 pilots, with training beginning from March to the start of May. This leaves only 140* pilots left on furlough. Assuming 30 or so are on a longer-term LOA, one could easily see AC training the remaining 110ish pilots in the May/June period before the summer.

Edited to correct my numbers from bob99 on the AC thread

Last edited by 737Maximilian on Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

737Maximilian wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:15 am
AC announced another round of recalls yesterday for 138 pilots, with training beginning from March to the start of May. This leaves only 174 pilots left on furlough. Assuming 30 or so are on a longer-term LOA, one could easily see AC training the remaining 150ish pilots in the May/June period before the summer.
AC said last year that all pilots would be back on payroll by June 2022. That was also a function of the last MOA with ACPA.

I still think you will see nominal hiring at AC commencing in late fall 2022. Hiring by AC means attrition at Jazz, which means the possibility of hiring at Jazz. Hiring may not spool up concurrent with AC as flying levels decline at Express after October through to February although lead time is required to replace departing pilots and be adequately staffed for anticipated peak monthly flying volumes May-October at Express. Most departures from Jazz will be left seat so each departure will trigger 2 training events (new-hire and upgrade).

It remains to be seen if there will be earlier meaningful attrition from Jazz with the plethora of new opportunities being advertised (Flair/Swoop/Lynx/Porter E jet/etc). That would precipitate earlier commencement for hiring. However, currently the Jazz pilot application portal is closed.

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

So Jazz is doing a live Q&A with AeroCareer where you can chat with recruiters… And that same website has a link for Pilots application… I doubt they want pilots to storm the event, it’s most probably to reach out to potential FA and AMEs

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

RegionalPilot wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:24 pm So Jazz is doing a live Q&A with AeroCareer where you can chat with recruiters… And that same website has a link for Pilots application… I doubt they want pilots to storm the event, it’s most probably to reach out to potential FA and AMEs
I think it's an old add, the application portal is not opened to pilots.

PostPandemic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PostPandemic »

RegionalPilot wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:24 pm So Jazz is doing a live Q&A with AeroCareer where you can chat with recruiters… And that same website has a link for Pilots application… I doubt they want pilots to storm the event, it’s most probably to reach out to potential FA and AMEs

Have you chatted with them ? Any info on pilot hiring ?

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

I did chat with them. A friendly recruiter, without making any promises, told me to expect Jazz to have a job posting for Pilots within the next "1-2 months". I can only assume they got the signal from AC to start hiring sooner then later.

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

Hopefully the March and April 2020 candidates get a heads up!

HD9113
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HD9113 »

RegionalPilot wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:23 pm I did chat with them. A friendly recruiter, without making any promises, told me to expect Jazz to have a job posting for Pilots within the next "1-2 months". I can only assume they got the signal from AC to start hiring sooner then later.
Any people asking about Jazz Approach by CAE?

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

HD9113 wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:56 pm
RegionalPilot wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:23 pm I did chat with them. A friendly recruiter, without making any promises, told me to expect Jazz to have a job posting for Pilots within the next "1-2 months". I can only assume they got the signal from AC to start hiring sooner then later.
Any people asking about Jazz Approach by CAE?
This program is probably dead for several years

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Word on the street is AC starts hiring this summer (plan pre-omicron) and Jazz likely to hire fall 2022

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

KenoraPilot wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:28 pm Word on the street is AC starts hiring this summer (plan pre-omicron) and Jazz likely to hire fall 2022
Sounds like a job add will be posted in the coming weeks/month. 2020 ground school candidates will be contacted to reapply if still interested.

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

KenoraPilot wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:28 pm Word on the street is AC starts hiring this summer (plan pre-omicron) and Jazz likely to hire fall 2022
Job postings in about a month or two. Then give or take 3 months for the entire hiring process and 5 weeks minimum for the ground school offer. Stars are pointing towards August or September for the first ground school.

canadianpilot101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by canadianpilot101 »

anyone know if they'll honour the database for those who were in the hiring process in March 2020? I know they're not obligated to but curious for some insight. Did up to the medical and was waiting for the pool call .

vector180
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vector180 »

canadianpilot101 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:39 am anyone know if they'll honour the database for those who were in the hiring process in March 2020? I know they're not obligated to but curious for some insight. Did up to the medical and was waiting for the pool call .
I was also wondering the same question, I had the sim eval, medical, and backround-check all complete around the same timeframe.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

canadianpilot101 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:39 am anyone know if they'll honour the database for those who were in the hiring process in March 2020? I know they're not obligated to but curious for some insight. Did up to the medical and was waiting for the pool call .
100% that you will have to redo medical.

itaserb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by itaserb »

Once they start hiring again, will they consider guys with ATPL but with little Multi time? Flying mostly single turbines. Pre-COVID they had 100 hours multi requirement not sure how strictly they followed it.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”