Sky Service Business Aviation

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Skydweller777
Rank 1
Rank 1

Sky Service Business Aviation

Post by Skydweller777 »

Hi All,

Can anyone provide any information on Sky Service Business Aviation. How's the interview? any Bond? working conditions?
This info would really help.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

CorpPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Sky Service Business Aviation

Post by CorpPilot »

SSBA is a great place to work. Ive done two tours of duty there over the years and they have always been great. Organized and crews are very well supported from senior management to flight ops.

The interview with the current CP (Mark) who is a great guy and certainly a "pilots chief pilot" is HR based with no tech questions that ive seen. The interviews ive done were for large corp bizjets and id say that maybe as a lower time F/O interviewing, you might see a few tech questions.

Bonds seem to be 1-2 years based on owner/lead captain direction. Pay is very dependant on owner/aircraft size and is generally industry standard+.

Good luck!

CP

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Skydweller777 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:43 am Hi All,

Can anyone provide any information on Sky Service Business Aviation. How's the interview? any Bond? working conditions?

Thanks
You get a call for the XRS?

redbusdriver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by redbusdriver »

CorpPilot wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:11 am SSBA is a great place to work. Ive done two tours of duty there over the years and they have always been great. Organized and crews are very well supported from senior management to flight ops.

The interview with the current CP (Mark) who is a great guy and certainly a "pilots chief pilot" is HR based with no tech questions that ive seen. The interviews ive done were for large corp bizjets and id say that maybe as a lower time F/O interviewing, you might see a few tech questions.

Bonds seem to be 1-2 years based on owner/lead captain direction. Pay is very dependant on owner/aircraft size and is generally industry standard+.

Good luck!

CP
few yrs ago when i was flying regional i applied and got an interview. they didn't even know what job i applied to that they were interviewing. cp was arrogant douche. i left the interview not wanting the job. this was in yyz. glad i didn't take it.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Word on the street pre covid was that there is almost no internal progression. If you want to upgrade or move airplane types you basically had to quit and reapply a few years later. Company preferred of the street hires over internal candidates to minimize training costs.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

I interviewed a few years back for a FO position when I was at a regional in YYZ. Overall it was a negative experience and I wasn't selected for the position (not that I would have taken it anyway). They seemed to question my intentions and put me down in the interview which wasn't cool.

Skydweller777
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Skydweller777 »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:00 am I interviewed a few years back for a FO position when I was at a regional in YYZ. Overall it was a negative experience and I wasn't selected for the position (not that I would have taken it anyway). They seemed to question my intentions and put me down in the interview which wasn't cool.

Thats crazy! Do you remember what kind of questions they were asking?

Skydweller777
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Skydweller777 »

CorpPilot wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:11 am SSBA is a great place to work. Ive done two tours of duty there over the years and they have always been great. Organized and crews are very well supported from senior management to flight ops.

Good luck!

CP
Thanks for your feedback will take it into consideration!

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Skydweller777 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:30 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:00 am I interviewed a few years back for a FO position when I was at a regional in YYZ. Overall it was a negative experience and I wasn't selected for the position (not that I would have taken it anyway). They seemed to question my intentions and put me down in the interview which wasn't cool.

Thats crazy! Do you remember what kind of questions they were asking?
Nothing too technical. They wanted to know if I was ok being an FO forever and shot me down for telling them I wanted to eventually be a captain.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Skydweller777 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:43 am Hi All,

Thanks
From what I hear they’re the highest paying and largest management companies north of the border. Bonds are 12-24 months from what I’ve heard. I know several guys that have been there over 10 years which is a good sign.

whatsitdoingnow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by whatsitdoingnow »

I think Chartright Air is now the biggest management company in Canada (by pure tail numbers), and pay is all over the place at sky.
I have some friends at Sky who seem to be paid a reasonable amount and others seem a little low. It really boils down to what you negotiate with the company/owner.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

whatsitdoingnow wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:54 am I have some friends at Sky who seem to be paid a reasonable amount and others seem a little low. It really boils down to what you negotiate with the company/owner.
I think it's the same all around, Chartright, Innotech etc. Most companies will usually offer bottom 25% of average pay during the interview stage. You need to know your value, and going rates for those seats before you walk into a final interview. Don't get blinded by the shiny metal light, because that blinding will usually cost you 2 years of your life on a bond.

Don't forget to negotiate salary increases - if you leave it up to the operators, they will AT BEST give you 2-3% (if you're lucky). Most will save re-negotiations until the 2yr bond mark because they know the financial penalties are so significant, you aren't going anywhere.

And no - skipping out of bonds isn't a thing. They will almost always take you to court - there is no defense against a signed pro-rated contract.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

whatsitdoingnow wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:54 am I think Chartright Air is now the biggest management company in Canada (by pure tail numbers), and pay is all over the place at sky.
I have some friends at Sky who seem to be paid a reasonable amount and others seem a little low. It really boils down to what you negotiate with the company/owner.
No it’s skyservice they have 54 machines c registered there, chartright has 41. I don’t know how many N regd aircraft either has.

Speed_Bird1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Speed_Bird1 »

Doesn’t Sky Service have a few private flight operations piggy backing onto their AOC? so the numbers are a little skewed? I was told Chartright currently manage somewhere in the mid 50’s with several more on the way. But I think this includes N registered.
Either way, it’s great to see business Aviation in Canada doing well what ever the company.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Speed_Bird1 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:03 pm Doesn’t Sky Service have a few private flight operations piggy backing onto their AOC? so the numbers are a little skewed? I was told Chartright currently manage somewhere in the mid 50’s with several more on the way. But I think this includes N registered.
Either way, it’s great to see business Aviation in Canada doing well what ever the company.
I know nothing about either company I just checked the registry on tc website. Chartright has 41 aircraft that are c registered under (Chartright). If there are others “piggy backing” as you put it they’ll be registered under another OC or under Chartright. Skyservice has 54 as of today.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Speed_Bird1 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:03 pm Doesn’t Sky Service have a few private flight operations piggy backing onto their AOC? so the numbers are a little skewed? I was told Chartright currently manage somewhere in the mid 50’s with several more on the way. But I think this includes N registered.

Here you go

Sky service

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/ ... hSimp.aspx

Chartright:

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/ ... hSimp.aspx

Speed_Bird1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Speed_Bird1 »

Yes I’m aware of the registry. What I’m saying is that Chartright manages all of their Canadian planes plus their US operation ones too for a total of some 54-55 total with several on the way. Sky has 54 on the T.C registry, but a few of them are private flight operators on Sky’s OC,(or so I’m lead to believe- maybe a sky guy can chime in). So their actual “managed” planes are less. Hence the possible skewed numbers. Sky certainly does have a larger operation with their FBO’s and the like, and I haven’t been to see the new one on the south side of the airport yet at YYZ, but I’m sure it’ll be nice. I have no idea how many N registered planes they deal with. It’s great to see these companies growing, and hopefully this will continue. I think most of the companies have a great mutual respect and help each other out when needed.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

I don’t know I just looked at chartrights fleet on their website they only show 3 N regd aircraft. But if there’s other operators involved with them that’s another story.

canyonclay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by canyonclay »

SSBA had a King Air 350 FO ad initially on 23 Sep, and they updated the job ad to 18 Oct. Why do you guys think they did that? Is it because they don't have qualified applicants since the 23rd of Sep and had to "refresh" their job ad?

https://skyservice.com/careers/

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

canyonclay wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:05 am SSBA had a King Air 350 FO ad initially on 23 Sep, and they updated the job ad to 18 Oct. Why do you guys think they did that? Is it because they don't have qualified applicants since the 23rd of Sep and had to "refresh" their job ad?

https://skyservice.com/careers/
No clue, 1500hrs among other prerequisites, depends on what they’re offering for schedule and wage I guess?

Return to “Corporate”