Hmmmmmm

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Hmmmmmm

Post by Ash Ketchum »

I hope that pilot will be added to the TN Visa list one day otherwise I can't really see things improving much over here. In the software industry where I am currently working Canadian developers are being paid more than ever before because US jobs are so accessible for Canadians.
---------- ADS -----------

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:29 am I hope that pilot will be added to the TN Visa list one day otherwise I can't really see things improving much over here. In the software industry where I am currently working Canadian developers are being paid more than ever before because US jobs are so accessible for Canadians.
Most of my work is USA based. I have some customers in Canada still, but try charging your rate in the states up here! People are leaving Canada to fix and fly elsewhere, there’s no work left here.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:41 am
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:56 am
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:24 am

It’s low for even an entry level job
I've always maintained that the wages in a market are defined by the best available opportunity and trickle down from there. Air Canada is regarded as the creme de la creme of opportunities and look at what a mess their agreement and union is in. When AC is paying between 52-95k for the first four years (excluding draft and upgrades), well you can't expect other airlines - especially feeders for said airline - to pick up the WAWCON torch.

Some advocates point the fingers at Westjet - but let's be honest, Westjet is not on par with any other international legacy carrier, including the company it was modeled after, Southwest. You don't see Delta stressing or blaming Southwest when it comes time for negotiations.

Once ACPA and their membership come together and correct their trajectory, we should see significant strides in the Canadian industry.
I just heard another friend of mine is moving states side due to the industry here in Canada. The wages and working conditions are a joke. Air Canada has a plethora of problems, lots of ex united guys still there? Idk man it reminds me a lot of discovery air. But supply and demand I guess, I think our generation and younger are seeing how bunk this industry is and only regarding flight as a a pastime not a steady job. The stats are published on TC’s website and speak for themselves. I would be very surprised if N registered equipment didn’t start picking up scheds in Canada soon…

https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/licens ... statistics
I'd like to know how your friend was able to obtain a work visa in the US. Right now, that seems to be the biggest hurdle... i'm under 1000 hours and have contemplated the US conversion since it's rather easy (comparative to other parts of the world), but haven't bothered with it since I don't see any way of obtaining a work visa...I know a lot of my pilot buddies say the same, that they'd move to the US instantly, if they could get a work visa

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

twa22 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:18 pm
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:56 am

I've always maintained that the wages in a market are defined by the best available opportunity and trickle down from there. Air Canada is regarded as the creme de la creme of opportunities and look at what a mess their agreement and union is in. When AC is paying between 52-95k for the first four years (excluding draft and upgrades), well you can't expect other airlines - especially feeders for said airline - to pick up the WAWCON torch.

Some advocates point the fingers at Westjet - but let's be honest, Westjet is not on par with any other international legacy carrier, including the company it was modeled after, Southwest. You don't see Delta stressing or blaming Southwest when it comes time for negotiations.

Once ACPA and their membership come together and correct their trajectory, we should see significant strides in the Canadian industry.
I just heard another friend of mine is moving states side due to the industry here in Canada. The wages and working conditions are a joke. Air Canada has a plethora of problems, lots of ex united guys still there? Idk man it reminds me a lot of discovery air. But supply and demand I guess, I think our generation and younger are seeing how bunk this industry is and only regarding flight as a a pastime not a steady job. The stats are published on TC’s website and speak for themselves. I would be very surprised if N registered equipment didn’t start picking up scheds in Canada soon…

I'd like to know how your friend was able to obtain a work visa in the US. Right now, that seems to be the biggest hurdle... i'm under 1000 hours and have contemplated the US conversion since it's rather easy (comparative to other parts of the world), but haven't bothered with it since I don't see any way of obtaining a work visa...I know a lot of my pilot buddies say the same, that they'd move to the US instantly, if they could get a work visa
You have to be sponsored by the company. It’s not hard but it can be time consuming for it to get approved. Really isn’t rocket appliances.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:49 pm

You have to be sponsored by the company. It’s not hard but it can be time consuming for it to get approved. Really isn’t rocket appliances.
Any insight on which US companies are willing to sponsor pilots? From my research it doesn't seem many are.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:17 pm

Any insight on which US companies are willing to sponsor pilots? From my research it doesn't seem many are.
I was just going to ask this... I've looked at a bunch of jobs ads, and none that i've seen lately mention anything about visa sponsorship. I know in my case with under 1000 hours I likely have zero chance of a sponsorship, but would be good to know for future, and for others here with higher hours that would benefit

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

Try looking into Red Wing Aviation, as far as I know they're pretty open to sponsoring folks

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Thought you guys were all against the principles of allowing foreign workers. Been countless rants about that on this site.

But its ok to take jobs from Americans?

Just curious as to the moral standard here.

Or does such a thing exist?

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:56 pm Thought you guys were all against the principles of allowing foreign workers. Been countless rants about that on this site.

But its ok to take jobs from Americans?

Just curious as to the moral standard here.

Or does such a thing exist?
No one is taking jobs away from anyone. If you've been following aviation news at all, the top US airline CEOs have been saying there is a huge demand for pilots since the recovery started, and there isn't enough supply... If that's true, which it seems to be, then that's not taking away any jobs.

When a company deliberately hires a foreigner over a local candidate, that's taking away jobs, big difference

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

The gentleman I mentioned is an AME. Technicians from Canada are highly sought after in USA due to our factory training and higher standards. As for the flying game, there’s an even wider spread in the USA for job vacancies and pilots than Canada. I don’t fly in the states much just do maintenance for the most part. From what I understand being hired as a meat servo in the states is doable but they do protect their own crowd more so than here in Canada. I don’t have any company names I’m primarily helicopter oriented. Networking is the main hurdle as with most countries for flying, but you’ll likely be more successful in USA than Canada these days with the market continuing to fail here.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

twa22 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:07 pm

I was just going to ask this... I've looked at a bunch of jobs ads, and none that i've seen lately mention anything about visa sponsorship. I know in my case with under 1000 hours I likely have zero chance of a sponsorship, but would be good to know for future, and for others here with higher hours that would benefit
Yes exactly. I wouldn't mind jumping over to a US regional with flow to a mainline in the States and I think I have a competitive resume for it with 705 command time and a university degree. I just haven't been able to find any regionals willing to sponsor visas.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:42 am
twa22 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:07 pm

Yes exactly. I wouldn't mind jumping over to a US regional with flow to a mainline in the States and I think I have a competitive resume for it with 705 command time and a university degree. I just haven't been able to find any regionals willing to sponsor visas.
Unlike Canada, the USA is very protective over its jobs especially when it comes to a non immigrant work force. Networking is very important to get sponsored by the right company. The best way (not easiest) to get states side is to have a USA based office within your company and to do a transfer states side.

Even as a legal worker with an L1 visa locals don’t care much for non immigrant workers (more so than not in some states). Many are understanding and happy to have me but I still hear remarks here and there as to my canadianness lol. I’ve been offered to move with my family but with their needs and timing it’s really not in the cards at the moment. Anyways it’s very doable it’s all in who you know and networking, market yourself as a asset which I like to think I’ve done reasonably well and you’ll find a good route south of the border, good luck!

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:31 am
rookiepilot wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:20 am I thought flying was such an amazing job the pay didn't matter. That's what the troll Crashing into the Trees is trying to tell me.

Life is full of choices, I say. I chose the unemployable degenerate route.
Asking for reasonable remuneration, schedule, and benefits is a sure fire way to be unemployable in Canada lol

No kidding, work your ass off for what?

rocket81
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by rocket81 »

This : :smt040
ACA22A09-E1A9-4E98-9A89-5B8EB2B22323.jpeg
ACA22A09-E1A9-4E98-9A89-5B8EB2B22323.jpeg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 1393 times

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

rocket81 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:52 pm This : :smt040

Please no lol

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Is the job posting still up or was it filled

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Hey man, 14 hours a day, and 20 days per month. That's $65000/year or so! Pretty good for someone who doesn't know how to navigate, doesn't really know how the machine works, barely knows how to fly, and didn't necessarily graduate from anything after high school.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

Apparently if you are from Australia you can work for breeze.

https://www.businessinsider.com/breeze- ... age-2022-1

The airline industry is returning to normal, and that means once again contending with a global shortage of pilots.
Hi
Airlines moved quickly to lean their pilot workforce's but hiring at many airlines has restarted and for others, it never ended. Regional airlines and new startups in particular have been feeling the crunch.

Breeze Airways, the startup airline launched by JetBlue Airways founder David Neeleman, has been steadily hiring pilots throughout the COVID-19 pandemic and is expanding its efforts as it grows its fleet of aircraft.

About 280 pilot spots need to be filled for Breeze's Embraer E190, Embraer E195, and Airbus A220 aircraft, and the airline is pulling out all the stops to attract talent.

Higher pay for all pilots

Breeze is raising pilot pay with new pay scales for pilots taking effect in January.

Pay scales on each aircraft are different with Airbus pilots earning slightly more than their Embraer counterparts given the "additional revenue-generating capability" of the aircraft, Christopher Owens, Breeze's vice president of flight operations, told Insider.

First-year pay for A220 first officers is $68 per flight hour, up by $13, while first-year pay for Embraer first officers is $61, up by $6.

Breeze Airways new payscales
Breeze Airways is raising pilot pay as of January 2022. Breeze Airways

"The reason for that was the overwhelming feedback that we received back from the pilots," Owens. "Their three top priorities were: pay rates, pay rates, and pay rates."

Embraer pilots fly what are known as "out and back" trips that will see them return to their home base every night. Airbus pilots will help induct Breeze's A220-300 fleet later this year and fly longer flights and multi-day trips comparable to traditional airline pilots.

Alternative solutions to the pilot shortage

Australian pilots will be able to work as Breeze pilots under the E-3 work visa program in a little-used but not unprecedented solution to the pilot shortage. Skilled Australian nationals can apply to legally work in the US and regional airlines including CommutAir and ExpressJet Airlines have used the program to recruit pilots from the country.

"It's an opportunity to give good, hardworking, well-qualified folks jobs who want to live in the US [and] want to be a pilot for a US airline," Owens said.

Breeze already has around 120 applicants for the program, with the majority of pilots living in Australia and some who are already in the US. Pilots from Down Under will, however, incur travel and visa costs before being able to fly for Breeze.

Other solutions include establishing a pipeline program with a major US flight school and Breeze may also join the likes of United Airlines in starting an ab initio program for would-be pilots with no flight time.

Breeze is also seeking airline pilots that retired during the pandemic but still have a few years left before reaching the Federal Aviation Administration's mandatory retirement age of 65. "Anybody who has three years left would be great because they bring in maturity, discipline, and lots of experience," Owens said.

Shaking off a reputation for low pay

The labor shortage also has a way of holding airlines accountable as pilots can seek opportunities elsewhere given that airlines across the country have been raising pay and lowering requirements to ensure a steady supply.

"We've been operating for seven months and we simply can't be as competitive as pilots would like us to be right now," Owens said. "Pilots just need to have a little bit of patience, see the forest through the trees, and see Breeze for what it can be."

FlightInstructionGTA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FlightInstructionGTA »

Meatservo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:21 pm

Hey man, 14 hours a day, and 20 days per month. That's $65000/year or so! Pretty good for someone who doesn't know how to navigate, doesn't really know how the machine works, barely knows how to fly, and didn't necessarily graduate from anything after high school.
Oh god.....Again with this mentality...so you assume that guys who get hired are newbies...When I got on the dash 8 for another operator, The average total hours in my class was around 4000 h. Flying from big turboprop to Buisness jet.
So no 20$/h is not enough for a copilot on a Dash 8. But yes, those wages are deceptive. You can assume they gonna hire guys at 200h fresh from high school. With the pandemic, I can assure you that they are plenty of experience pilots who applied.
Amazon is paying 19 $ btw. So if you considerate our job and responsability associated to it. you should understand that it is a bit more technical than a worker at Amazon.
Plus, that means after 3 years maximum, you gonna get what? around 30$ as a senior officer ready to go left seat. Not a newbie. not a guy who does not know the plane and "does not know how to navigate"
So if you think you do not worth more than that, it is up to you only cause we are a bunch to value our work and think we should earn more. Canada is a race to the bottom of wages and flight duty, this kind of mentality does not help to change anything.

Return to “General Comments”