U.S. sponsorship available

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

U.S. sponsorship available

Post by Stinky »

Crappy pay. High attrition rate at Atlas but maybe interesting to someone.

https://geckoaviation.com/atlas-air-cur ... nHg8cJlcx8
---------- ADS -----------

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: U.S. sponsorship available

Post by twa22 »

Stinky wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:20 pm Crappy pay. High attrition rate at Atlas but maybe interesting to someone.

" Atlas are in the process of including the license conversion into their training, meaning sponsorship will be open to non FAA/ATP holders! So, stay tuned into Gecko for any updates."

Now that will be even more interesting... offer a US visa and pay for US FAA conversion? I'm sure some who have an FAA license now will apply, but I bet lots will flock when they throw in a free conversion

P.S I don't know what crappy pay means in the US... is it crappy pay compared to other US carriers, or crappy pay compared to a 705 in Canada?

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Dronepiper »

Their First year FO’s make $117USD K with their new contract. Their 747 captains top out at 294k. Upgrades to 737 captain take 1 year, and approx 4-5 years for a 747 captain.

They will commute you anywhere from the US and pay for your flights. They give you hotels while commuting and while also on reserve. They always Deadhead you in business on international flights.

What’s crazy, is this is considered like the $&$ti@st carrier in the USA. Now take what I said above, and compare it to Canadian carriers, and you will realize how @$&?ed our industry is in Canada. $117 usd is 145 cad. How long does it take to make that at WJ as an FO? 8 years?! Canada sucks.

FlyingLion
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FlyingLion »

Dronepiper wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:11 pm Their First year FO’s make $117USD K with their new contract. Their 747 captains top out at 294k. Upgrades to 737 captain take 1 year, and approx 4-5 years for a 747 captain.

They will commute you anywhere from the US and pay for your flights. They give you hotels while commuting and while also on reserve. They always Deadhead you in business on international flights.

What’s crazy, is this is considered like the $&$ti@st carrier in the USA. Now take what I said above, and compare it to Canadian carriers, and you will realize how @$&?ed our industry is in Canada. $117 usd is 145 cad. How long does it take to make that at WJ as an FO? 8 years?! Canada sucks.
Well well well my friend...
I don't even know where to start with this issue. Canada is one of the weirdest country in the world. But let me try to sum it up:
- It's only in Canada that you gonna find a Big Red FO making roughly the same amount of money than a Costco employee. Anywhere else they have it together and realize that flying require skills and being knowledgeable, therefore it shouldn't be open to anybody... But anyone can become a pilot, right ? :mrgreen: Even our Prime Minister who was a substitute teacher btw tried to become a pilot, but I digress.
- There is the "pay your dues mentality" which is straight up BS created by the old folks to F the new generations. Whoever believes in paying your dues, Congratulations you just have adhered to modern slavery.
- The culture of climbing over each other which at the end makes CEOs happy. Yes pilot, when you accept a low paying job with the shittiest conditions just to fly a big shiny jet at the end, not only you F up the industry but you end up having the same value than a Bois de Boulogne sex worker.
I am pretty sure there are some other good points but I will leave it here today
Unfortunately, it sums up why I left Canada. I am now in a country where being a pilot is highly respected and valued. I make decent amount of money, way more than a costco employee (it really bothered me when I was in Canada :lol: ). If Canadian pilots decide to fix this issue I might come back, until then life overseas is fantastic for me.

PS : Big shout out to our little Kens and Karens, Jazz FOs who are dreaming about Big Red right now from their parents basement in the GTA !
I am out :smt040

wirez
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by wirez »

Stinky wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:20 pm Crappy pay. High attrition rate at Atlas but maybe interesting to someone.

If you look at the link below, it clearly states Atlas is only sponsoring E3 visas. That means you have to be Australian or no bueno. https://geckoaviation.com/atlas-air-cur ... mation-e3/

GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoHomeLeg »

Work for Atlas and have no life. Enjoy you shit quality of life going on 17 day pairings with extensions into your days off flying patterns around the world and sitting reserve in random hotels for days somewhere along their route network.. You'll hate it.

FlyingLion
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FlyingLion »

GoHomeLeg wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:03 am Work for Atlas and have no life. Enjoy you shit quality of life going on 17 day pairings with extensions into your days off flying patterns around the world and sitting reserve in random hotels for days somewhere along their route network.. You'll hate it.
Aint it the same at Encore ? Except the fact that the flying is restricted to Canada and US... Oh yeah I forgot, you make 3-4 times more money than at Encore.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

FlyingLion wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:48 am
Dronepiper wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:11 pm Their First year FO’s make $117USD K with their new contract. Their 747 captains top out at 294k. Upgrades to 737 captain take 1 year, and approx 4-5 years for a 747 captain.

I don't even know where to start with this issue. Canada is one of the weirdest country in the world. But let me try to sum it up:
- It's only in Canada that you gonna find a Big Red FO making roughly the same amount of money than a Costco employee. Anywhere else they have it together and realize that flying require skills and being knowledgeable, therefore it shouldn't be open to anybody... But anyone can become a pilot, right ? :mrgreen: Even our Prime Minister who was a substitute teacher btw tried to become a pilot, but I digress.
- There is the "pay your dues mentality" which is straight up BS created by the old folks to F the new generations. Whoever believes in paying your dues, Congratulations you just have adhered to modern slavery.
- The culture of climbing over each other which at the end makes CEOs happy. Yes pilot, when you accept a low paying job with the shittiest conditions just to fly a big shiny jet at the end, not only you F up the industry but you end up having the same value than a Bois de Boulogne sex worker.
I am pretty sure there are some other good points but I will leave it here today
Unfortunately, it sums up why I left Canada. I am now in a country where being a pilot is highly respected and valued. I make decent amount of money, way more than a costco employee (it really bothered me when I was in Canada :lol: ). If Canadian pilots decide to fix this issue I might come back, until then life overseas is fantastic for me.

PS : Big shout out to our little Kens and Karens, Jazz FOs who are dreaming about Big Red right now from their parents basement in the GTA !
Which countries are currently taking Canadian pilots and what experience do they require? I have been trying to leave for awhile but lack jet time. The idea of 4 Year flat pay at AC after this industry slowdown let's up isn't financially viable for me or my family and I don't want to be a career regional pilot forever.

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

Or sitting on reserve at Flair for 17 days a month for less than half price. You pay for your own commute and hotel at every Canadian airline.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

FlyingLion wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:20 am
GoHomeLeg wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:03 am Work for Atlas and have no life. Enjoy you shit quality of life going on 17 day pairings with extensions into your days off flying patterns around the world and sitting reserve in random hotels for days somewhere along their route network.. You'll hate it.
Aint it the same at Encore ? Except the fact that the flying is restricted to Canada and US... Oh yeah I forgot, you make 3-4 times more money than at Encore.
Exactly! To add to that, if you dare to dip too far into your contractually awarded sick time (during a pandemic no less) and its mandatory doctors notes for every book off. Zero career progression too once you hit $100 an hour (Westjet flow will never come back). Atlas looks like a dream compared to that place, it's a shame this opportunity is only open to Australians. I reckon a lot of Canadian pilots would have been sending an application in.

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

Maybe many Canadians should apply anyway. Eventually HR departments will recognize us as a potential source of highly qualified pilots. Word on the street is that some major US airlines were meeting pilots in the parking lot at YVR pre-pandemic and offering employment.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Has anyone else noticed a conspicuous absense of US positions targeted at Canadians, despite being an almost perfect logistical fit for a plethora of reasons?

short bus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by short bus »

Arnie Pye wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:38 pm Word on the street is that some major US airlines were meeting pilots in the parking lot at YVR pre-pandemic and offering employment.
Hahahahaha

Yeah. Sounds totally legit.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

The link OP posted which is dated Oct 22nd changed... it now redirects you to log in to see the information. There's a second post from October 23rd which says E3 visa ONLY, but that certainly wasn't the case when I first clicked and read the link OP posted...not sure why this Gecko aviation place decided to change their posts all of a sudden :?

mijbil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mijbil »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:06 am
Which countries are currently taking Canadian pilots and what experience do they require? I have been trying to leave for awhile but lack jet time. The idea of 4 Year flat pay at AC after this industry slowdown let's up isn't financially viable for me or my family and I don't want to be a career regional pilot forever.
Not sure what to say to your first question. As to your last comment, I do know two guys who quite liked it at Jazz and did the majority of their careers there. To be fair they were senior there and likely under an old scale of pay and benefits/pension. I'm not at Jazz so I don't know what it's like there now. Clearly there are pros and cons to any slot. With a regional you will work more days I expect, but not have to deal with time zones. I could go on but it's likely been hashed out multiple times on here before.
I have friends at WS,AC,WG and AT who are all taking the bypass until things truly improve. I may be that club too depending on how a few other options work out. In the meantime, I've never been healthier (other than a few extra Wuhan pounds to shed.....and I'm working on it). Zero commuting stress, no alarm clock, next to no study (for now). It's all lifestyle at 705. The flying is dead boring excpt in sim of course.
Don't flush your regional just to chase tin and die at 61 or 66.
My 2 pfennigs

FlyingLion
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FlyingLion »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:06 am
FlyingLion wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:48 am

Mostly any ICAO country that doesn't have EASA or FAA acting as the local authority. Asia, Africa and Middle East are usually your best bet.
Usually you have to go through the validation and the conversion of your Canadian license but don't worry about it too much, it is easy to do. As for job research, I suggest to keep checking pilotcareercenter.com and make friends (it is very crucial to have a good network!).
It is easier to find a job overseas with experience. Usually 2000 TT +ATPL+ jet or 705 turboprop type rating might give you some fair chances to land a job, but I have seen people getting something with far less. Situations are not the same...
If you are in corporate side, things are different. Unfortunately I can't tell you much about it because I have never been a corporate pilot.
Good luck ! If you have other questions, PM me.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Updated the hidden post
ATLAS AIR RECRUITING
By
FLying GeCKO
October 22, 2021
Atlas Air are currently sponsoring E3 visas for a non-immigrant work visa. At present, this is only available to those pilots who possess FAA/ATP and are eligible for E3 work visas.

Atlas are in the process of including the license conversion into their training, meaning sponsorship will be open to non FAA/ATP holders! So, stay tuned into Gecko for any updates.

We have information that currently only E3 visa eligible pilots will be considered but that more non-immigrant visas may become available.

Please register and keep your profile up-to-date to keep aprised of the latest news when it becomes available to our members!

Due to overwhelming response, we are unable to process new queries regarding this opening. We will provide more information in due course once we get through this backlog of queries.

pild04
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pild04 »

this is the reply I got from Cape Air HR regarding sponsorship. I have no more information regarding this. I just wanted to share this.

Thank you for expressing interest in flying with Cape Air! We have established a partnership with Overseas Manpower Solutions (OMS), a recruitment/immigration law firm based in Florida. This partnership allows Cape Air to sponsor FAA ATP rated pilots for the legal right to live and work in the United States. This program is managed by OMS, who will put you back in touch with Cape Air for an interview once you meet all of their requirements.

Please visit www.overseasmanpower.com/pilots for more information and feel free to contact OMS directly. Their pilot recruiters name is Patricia, and she would love to hear from you.

We appreciate your interest in Cape Air and wish you much success in the future.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”