AME job alternatives..?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: AME job alternatives..?

Post by Heliian »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:04 pm
chowda wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:45 pm Heli Ian is one the old aerosexuals who still can't think outside the "for the passion" aviation mindset that's infected maintenance in Canada for so long. He see's aviation as the only path if you went to school for it.

To the OP - find something, almost anything that keeps you from having to earn your income working on airplanes. Been doing it for 22 years and I am finally pulling the pin. The Covid BS was a blessing in disguise and a needed kick to the ass.

Aviation, particularly maintenance, blows. I would not ever do it again nor would I recommend it to anyone.

It’s bad, I have another career outside this garbage which pays my primary income, but I still keep my rate high. Helicopters are as bad or worse than fixed wing in Canada right now. Heliian has a long record for being aero/helisexual not just on here but vertical as well (if that’s the same person). An attitude like that is the kind spawned from someone with no kids and probably a spouse that makes the bread. ZERO time for people like that
LOL, aren't you a fucking moron.

My career has been great in helicopters and i've been paid very well for it. Sorry to rain on your party, it's not my fault that you guys are stuck in a rut. I'm just a lowly employee with a wife and kid to support.

As always, if you don't like the job then get out.
---------- ADS -----------

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Heliian wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:17 am
chowda wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:45 pm Heli Ian is one the old aerosexuals who still can't think outside the "for the passion" aviation mindset that's infected maintenance in Canada for so long. He see's aviation as the only path if you went to school for it.

To the OP - find something, almost anything that keeps you from having to earn your income working on airplanes. Been doing it for 22 years and I am finally pulling the pin. The Covid BS was a blessing in disguise and a needed kick to the ass.

Aviation, particularly maintenance, blows. I would not ever do it again nor would I recommend it to anyone.

It’s bad, I have another career outside this garbage which pays my primary income, but I still keep my rate high. Helicopters are as bad or worse than fixed wing in Canada right now. Heliian has a long record for being aero/helisexual not just on here but vertical as well (if that’s the same person). An attitude like that is the kind spawned from someone with no kids and probably a spouse that makes the bread. ZERO time for people like that

My career has been great in helicopters and i've been paid very well for it. Sorry to rain on your party, it's not my fault that you guys are stuck in a rut. I'm just a lowly employee with a wife and kid to support.

The whole industry is in a rut! If you’ve been doing this as long as you claim, you’ve surely witnessed that. Just look around you, aircraft and companies are leaving Canada. A few little ma and pa operators have sprung up here and there in the large companies ashes but that’s it.
It’s not what it was post 2008 and that’s a fact. The rates are in the gutter, I’m also m1/M2 multi-endorsed. I’ve been paid top dollar (much more than what others were making in some cases more than twice as much) for my work too I wouldn’t call it “very well” by any means, because guess what, I HAVE WORK AND EDUCATION OUTSIDE AVIATION, AND I KNOW. I know the facts and so should you.
The lack of work isn’t necessarily the operators fault, the world has changed but how they’ve adapted and created such a stagnant remuneration (to fix and fly) is disgusting.
Constantly slashing each-others rates and ever continuing less and less support, chowda sees it like most do with his experience from what he’s posted.
Not one heli AME on here can honestly say they haven’t been pressured by management to play in the grey area as he said, it happens more and more these days, and he’s right, if you don’t bend over you get marked the a-hole.
Heliian people like you should leave the industry it would be a much better place.
Constantly Defending current garbage wages and current conditions the way you do, and you’ve been around a very long time (longer than chowda and myself). I doubt very much you’re “just an employee” you’re probably in management and / or a partner somewhere.

Last edited by Bug_Stomper_01 on Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

chowda wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:13 am

Im doing the same. I renewed my license, albeit because it was so easy and the fact there's no way in hell I'd go through TC's BS if I let it expire, and wanted to renew it. Just no interest.

Been getting some cold emails for work but the last three I haven't even replied. The offers/work conditions just suck and Im just not into it any more. The right price, maybe, but working by myself outside, at night, with some shithead manager squeezing you into grey/black areas because they cant say "no" in meetings, well....I've had enough. They always will want more and you'll be the instant asshole the moment you decide not to roll with them.

It's happened way too many times and no doubt will continue.

Im not sure if I'd even be employable in this field anymore because my mindset/tolerance has completely changed.

Im a multi endorsed m1/m2 with management experience.
You’re right, and it’s not the same industry post 2008. We used to get praised for finding snags and fixing them now we’re just pests that cost money. The aircraft conditions always speak for themselves, I don’t need to elaborate, if you know you know.

It seems more and more people are putting machines out without ames where they can get away with it even mediums in some cases ffs. I don’t see conditions like this south of the border, it’s a real eye opener how much we do up here with so little.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

dstechnical wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:06 am If I had to do a trade all over again. Instrumentation tech. Highest paid trade out there .
Welders make great money too if you’re ticketed right.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

What’s your definition of “paid very well”?

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:46 am

The whole industry is in a rut! If you’ve been doing this as long as you claim, you’ve surely witnessed that. Just look around you, aircraft and companies are leaving Canada. A few little ma and pa operators have sprung up here and there in the large companies ashes but that’s it.
It’s not what it was post 2008 and that’s a fact. The rates are in the gutter, I’m also m1/M2 multi-endorsed. I’ve been paid top dollar (much more than what others were making in some cases more than twice as much) for my work too I wouldn’t call it “very well” by any means, because guess what, I HAVE WORK AND EDUCATION OUTSIDE AVIATION, AND I KNOW. I know the facts and so should you.
The lack of work isn’t necessarily the operators fault, the world has changed but how they’ve adapted and created such a stagnant remuneration (to fix and fly) is disgusting.
Constantly slashing each-others rates and ever continuing less and less support, chowda sees it like most do with his experience from what he’s posted.
Not one heli AME on here can honestly say they haven’t been pressured by management to play in the grey area as he said, it happens more and more these days, and he’s right, if you don’t bend over you get marked the a-hole.
Heliian people like you should leave the industry it would be a much better place.
Constantly Defending current garbage wages and current conditions the way you do, and you’ve been around a very long time (longer than chowda and myself). I doubt very much you’re “just an employee” you’re probably in management and / or a partner somewhere.
Yes, MARK’d the A-HOLE

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

chowda wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:13 am

Im doing the same. I renewed my license, albeit because it was so easy and the fact there's no way in hell I'd go through TC's BS if I let it expire, and wanted to renew it. Just no interest.

Been getting some cold emails for work but the last three I haven't even replied. The offers/work conditions just suck and Im just not into it any more. The right price, maybe, but working by myself outside, at night, with some shithead manager squeezing you into grey/black areas because they cant say "no" in meetings, well....I've had enough. They always will want more and you'll be the instant asshole the moment you decide not to roll with them.

It's happened way too many times and no doubt will continue.

Im not sure if I'd even be employable in this field anymore because my mindset/tolerance has completely changed.

Im a multi endorsed m1/m2 with management experience.

The BS is through the roof in Canada. I was working in the states too it’s way better. I also have other means of income, just too much time and effort in this industry to let it go altogether, lots have and are happy and don’t miss it at all however.

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

Old Ian is being a bit decieving wth his ga ga act. Its b
een a few years, but I distinctly remmber him posting a long rant, on avcanada, about why he bothers with aviation and its bs, the managers, etc.

It started off something "its days like this" with "driving home", etc. Anyway, somebody called him out on it afterwards and he went right back to his regular routine and that "it was just a bad day", lol.

Im pretty sure he's in denial a reasonable amount of time.

Btw, Ian. I never said I hadnt made reasonable money at some points, but its been sporadic and not worth all the graveyard weekend, holiday, outside, without proper tooling or facilties because some dick says CDN Tire has something that should work.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

chowda wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:57 am Old Ian is being a bit decieving wth his ga ga act. Its b
een a few years, but I distinctly remmber him posting a long rant, on avcanada, about why he bothers with aviation and its bs, the managers, etc.

It started off something "its days like this" with "driving home", etc. Anyway, somebody called him out on it afterwards and he went right back to his regular routine and that "it was just a bad day", lol.

Btw, Ian. I never said I hadnt made reasonable money at some points, but its been sporadic and not worth all the graveyard weekend, holiday, outside, without proper tooling or facilties because some dick says CDN Tire has something that should work.
CANADIAN TIRE?!?!? Wow you’re spoiled!!! For me it’s usually princess auto!

I’ve seen Heliian’s posts for years, and he’s been around much longer than vertical and avcanada forums from what he wrote back in those days, if my memory is correct that is. I don’t know ANYONE that talks like him excepts owners/managers. (I’m a manager and I don’t) but I also get heat for not ladling out the coolaide). Pretty sure we’ve all met this guy and I’m pretty sure I’ve got an idea of who he is.

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:28 am
chowda wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:57 am Old Ian is being a bit decieving wth his ga ga act. Its b

I’ve seen Heliian’s posts for years, and he’s been around much longer than vertical and avcanada forums from what he wrote back in those days, if my memory is correct that is. I don’t know ANYONE that talks like him excepts owners/managers. (I’m a manager and I don’t) but I also get heat for not ladling out the coolaide). Pretty sure we’ve all met this guy and I’m pretty sure I’ve got an idea of who he is.

There wasn't princess auto anywhere near me. Even in the urban areas they were too far away with the exception of YYC.
My choices generally were Ctire or napa working out of a rental car. This scenario repeated on either coast and in the north. In general, the northern operators were/are the worst. Mine were cases of them trying to operate away from base, either remote or urban, and having next to no logistical support or local arrangements made. Im talking jet m2 category aircraft operated by "airlines". "Well, don't you know anybody around there???" was posed to me several times.

I would love to quote specifics, as there are many, but not at this time because Im still transitioning but there will come a time.

I will say the grey area pressure were things like when I knew what a mgnr was instructing was bs, I contacted QA, got my suspicions confirmed, then get Phonecalls(not emails, because there written) giving me shit as to "why did I talk to QA???" or admissions like "I know its wrong, and we will probably get busted by TC someday, but right now we have to..." etc, etc, etc.

I have lots.

Anyway kiddies, if you do decide to go into this stand your ground. Lots of people make as much or generally more than AME's with next none of the associated bullshit.

Unless youre a mouthfoaming aerosexual you will not find much pleasure in fondling airplanes for money.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

chowda wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:14 pm

There wasn't princess auto anywhere near me. Even in the urban areas they were too far away with the exception of YYC.
My choices generally were Ctire or napa working out of a rental car. This scenario repeated on either coast and in the north. In general, the northern operators were/are the worst. Mine were cases of them trying to operate away from base, either remote or urban, and having next to no logistical support or local arrangements made. Im talking jet m2 category aircraft operated by "airlines". "Well, don't you know anybody around there???" was posed to me several times.

I would love to quote specifics, as there are many, but not at this time because Im still transitioning but there will come a time.

I will say the grey area pressure were things like when I knew what a mgnr was instructing was bs, I contacted QA, got my suspicions confirmed, then get Phonecalls(not emails, because there written) giving me shit as to "why did I talk to QA???" or admissions like "I know its wrong, and we will probably get busted by TC someday, but right now we have to..." etc, etc, etc.

I have lots.

Anyway kiddies, if you do decide to go into this stand your ground. Lots of people make as much or generally more than AME's with next none of the associated bullshit.

Unless youre a mouthfoaming aerosexual you will not find much pleasure in fondling airplanes for money.
Been there, and I feel that dude. Brings back my ptsd lol

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

chowda wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:14 pm

I have lots.

Lots of those crappy operators have packed up and gone home. Some, just wont go away, even when we’re counting down the seconds to their demise (I’ll leave that to one to everyone’s imagination). It was good better than ten years ago for pay and shifts, there’s just no work anymore. It’s crazy the amount of guys that got out and what they’ve resorted to. This biz is ridiculous in Canada. I won’t do another fire season, I’ve said that before but I mean it this time.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

PitchLink wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:22 am
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:46 am

Yes, MARK’d the A-HOLE

You got it P-Link! 😂

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

These forums need a "like/dislike" function.

I guess I've been on social media too much...

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Pat Richard wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:06 pm These forums need a "like/dislike" function.

It’s very old software, I guess (+1 and -1) etc would the the DOS equivalent lol

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Pat Richard wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:06 pm These forums need a "like/dislike" function.

Yes they do, especially with some of the aerosexuals on here!

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

dstechnical wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:06 am If I had to do a trade all over again. Instrumentation tech. Highest paid trade out there .
I've never thought of FIG as being a high paying trade. Power Linesman and Control Systems Electrician pay more, as does anything to do with Elevator repair. Also Sprinkler Fitters make good wages, though I can't imagine threading black iron all day for the rest of my life, even for $50 an hour.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

co-joe wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:35 am
I've never thought of FIG as being a high paying trade. Power Linesman and Control Systems Electrician pay more, as does anything to do with Elevator repair. Also Sprinkler Fitters make good wages, though I can't imagine threading black iron all day for the rest of my life, even for $50 an hour.
What is “FIG”? instrumentation does pay well too just boring. Bottom line is AME really isn’t a desirable industry and almost anything is better now more than ever.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

PitchLink wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:03 pm
What is “FIG”? instrumentation does pay well too just boring. Bottom line is AME really isn’t a desirable industry and almost anything is better now more than ever.
Fucking Instrument Guy

My lab partner in 1st and 2nd year Electrical was a FIG. It's a term of endearment. ;) An HVAC skid shop I worked at also called them "Tubers" since all they did was run 1/4" instrument air line 40 hours a week.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

co-joe wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:31 pm
PitchLink wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:03 pm

Fucking Instrument Guy

My lab partner in 1st and 2nd year Electrical was a FIG. It's a term of endearment. ;) An HVAC skid shop I worked at also called them "Tubers" since all they did was run 1/4" instrument air line 40 hours a week.
Lol I’ve heard the term “tubbin’” FIG is a new acronym lol

Return to “General Comments”