Air Tindi

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Air Tindi

Post by pelmet »

Eric Janson wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:45 am
pelmet wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:35 pm I assume the EGT exceedence was at high speed. I think I would consider a low speed RTO, certainly if it was a significant exceedence. I did have one on a Boeing airliner once right after liftoff.......the whole circle for the EGT indication became red which is always a surprise to see in real life. It was instinctive is to just retard the thrust a bit and it worked. Still worriesome as one has a red box outlining the digital temp for the rest of the flight. We had full thrust due to an MEL and it was a hot day. Turned out that it was actually just a few degrees overtemp and all that was required was a quick borescope. Maintenance action required depends on the amount and duration of the exceedence I was told.
Below 80 knots there is a Master Caution and an RTO should be performed as per airbus SOP.

Above 80 the Master Caution is inhibited. If an overtemp occurs after 80knots take-off should be continued. The flashing red EGT display and red box around the engine instruments can be a bit unnerving if you've never seen it before.

We have this on the aircraft briefing papers - but only for the aircraft involved in operations where this may occur.

Reducing power on the engine with an overtemp on the ground invalidates your take-off performance.

I've made this part of my technical discussion during Line Checks.

I brief this before take-off in hot conditions where we are using high thrust settings and I explain exactly what I am going to do and where I'm going to do it so all Pilots are on the same page (there were 4 of us in the cockpit at times during COVID - usually all Captains).

The take-away from this is - know your aircraft.
Is it possible that your company is operating an aircraft with worn engines with lower temp margins. I wonder what Emirates used to do with their A340’s in hot desert ops. Does CFM/Airbus have an opinion on continued operations with the EGT flashing red on takeoff.

My company has several memos where they had asked Airbus for guidance on situations that were not specifically published that had obviously come up in management discussions.

What if all 4 engines are behaving this way. If it is only one engine, why that one and not the others?
---------- ADS -----------

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

Nothing to do with Tindi but to answer the question. When you receive a new ac with 4 or even 2 engines all with the same TBO do you run them all till the 4 are tx and need overhaul at the same time? Normally you remove 1 at say 1/2 time put on a loaner or if you have a big fleet your own and stagger the times so you are only changing 1 engine. Thus on a 4 engine machine you may have 3 newer and 1 all pooped out.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

Gotta love the latest Air Tindi ad. PICTURES!!!!!!!! Truly amazing to see companies trying everything but increasing pay and benefits. I guess they're trying to appeal to IG pilots?

Nice pics, though.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:53 pm Gotta love the latest Air Tindi ad. PICTURES!!!!!!!! Truly amazing to see companies trying everything but increasing pay and benefits. I guess they're trying to appeal to IG pilots?

Nice pics, though.
Do you have access to the Air Tindi pay scale and benefits package? I for one would like to see it. Please show us.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

digits_ wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:26 pm I am not sure what you are trying to describe here. You are briefing a takeoff in which you will knowingly exceed an EGT limitation? Overtemping it is ok but reducing power is not because you don't want to invalidate the performance calculation?
I am briefing the possibility of an EGT overtemp and the actions that will be taken if it happens

I have taken off at +48C and we didn't have an overtemp.

You do not touch the power once it is set unless you are doing an RTO. Doing so invalidates your take-off performance. Overtemping is not a failure. There is no requirement to do anything while on the ground.

I have seen 75' off the end of an 11000' runway with a fully loaded A340 - the last thing you want to do is reduce the power!

Last edited by Eric Janson on Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

pelmet wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:47 am Is it possible that your company is operating an aircraft with worn engines with lower temp margins. I wonder what Emirates used to do with their A340’s in hot desert ops. Does CFM/Airbus have an opinion on continued operations with the EGT flashing red on takeoff.

My company has several memos where they had asked Airbus for guidance on situations that were not specifically published that had obviously come up in management discussions.

What if all 4 engines are behaving this way. If it is only one engine, why that one and not the others?
I've had a double overtemp on the A340 - my 3rd sector on the aircraft. I'd briefed it as I knew CFM engines from my time on the 737-300.

Here's the note in our aircraft briefing.

OPERATIONAL RECOMMENDATIONS
An EGT over limit due to normal engine wear does not affect the engine thrust, safe continuation of the take-off
is therefore possible.
• Below 80 knots, an ECAM caution will trigger and the take-off may be aborted
• Above 80 knots, ECAM caution is inhibited, and no crew action is required

The above comes from airbus

There is a lot of confusion about this - I cover it as a topic during Line Checks. Since our company operates globally - crews will encounter this at some point.

Apologies for the off topic discussion.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

Here is one thing they got right:

At 1847, flight TIN223 was about 11 nautical miles (NM) from CYJP, descending through 3300 feet ASL when the right engine began to surge. The flight crew shut down the engine and feathered the propeller, and the captain began slowing the aircraft to the optimal glide speed for maximum range of 86 knotsFootnote 5 indicated airspeed. The first officer briefed the passengers for a forced approach to an off-airport landing. The captain looked for a suitable place to land. In the darkness, he was able to discern an area of muskeg and chose that area rather than a treed area.

Just before touchdown, the captain requested flaps to 10° and then full flap; the first officer selected those flap positions. The stall horn activated when the aircraft was just above the muskeg and seconds before touchdown. The aircraft touched down on the muskeg at 1851, 6.7 NM northwest of CYJP, and came to a stop in an upright position (Figure 2).

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”