Struggling to find work due to upcoming surgery

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Struggling to find work due to upcoming surgery

Post by RockSalty »

---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by RockSalty on Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Struggling to find work due to upcoming surgery

Post by Tbayer2021 »

Sounds like a simple solution to me. Don't disclose a future medical procedure with a potential employer.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

RockSalty wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:00 pm but hiding it is totally out of the question.
Why?

A few more corona cases and your elective surgery might be pushed back a few more months.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

RockSalty wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:56 pm
digits_ wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:21 pm Why?

A few more corona cases and your elective surgery might be pushed back a few more months.
If it was just for looks I'd push it back and worry about it in a year, but its to fix a pretty bad open bite so its a pretty big QOL improvement.
My point was that you might not have a choice, so I wouldn't let it influence my job choice too much. If your local health care provider decides to postone all surgeries, you'd find yourself without a job, no surgery, and possibly the same problem again next year.

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

RockSalty wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:01 pm
digits_ wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:15 pm
RockSalty wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:56 pm

If it was just for looks I'd push it back and worry about it in a year, but its to fix a pretty bad open bite so its a pretty big QOL improvement.
My point was that you might not have a choice, so I wouldn't let it influence my job choice too much. If your local health care provider decides to postone all surgeries, you'd find yourself without a job, no surgery, and possibly the same problem again next year.
Ah I gotcha. Thats definitely one of my concerns, but I'm still more worried about what'd happen if it didn't get delayed and I piss off the wrong people.
Are you looking for a seasonal/fire job again, or a full time position? If you get hired for a full time job, and they only miss you for 6 weeks, I don't think they should hold that against you.

For a seasonal job I guess it might be a bit harder, as the logical question would be why you didn't get the surgery during wintertime (as if you have a choice, I know)

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

digits_ wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:36 pm
RockSalty wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:01 pm
digits_ wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:15 pm

Ah I gotcha. Thats definitely one of my concerns, but I'm still more worried about what'd happen if it didn't get delayed and I piss off the wrong people.
Are you looking for a seasonal/fire job again, or a full time position? If you get hired for a full time job, and they only miss you for 6 weeks, I don't think they should hold that against you.

For a seasonal job I guess it might be a bit harder, as the logical question would be why you didn't get the surgery during wintertime (as if you have a choice, I know)
I'm trying to find something full time since I've learned that having the fall + winter off isn't really for me. I've had a few places tell me that it wouldn't be a problem but I bombed the interview for one and haven't heard back from the rest since they called to ask if I was interested.

Last edited by RockSalty on Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Then really, just apply and don't mention it. If you want to be really nice, you can always offer to take unpaid leave for 6 weeks when the time comes, but hopefully by that time they see you as a valued employee and it won't even be an issue.

No company would hesitate to hire you now and lay you off again in 6 weeks if business turns. Don't feel bad that you have to take time off for medical reasons.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Don't bring it up.

Your name won't be battered because you had to take time off for a medical procedure. That's just life.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

Also when the time comes you don’t have to disclose that you knew about this surgery coming down the line months ago…. Simple something medical has come up and I need surgery. You do realize you don’t have to disclose any medical issues in detail right?

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

That would stand until said potential employer reads Avcanada (yes they actually do) and sees this topic. Lol

Also, don’t be to sure about disclosure of medical conditions. If your ill it’s one thing, when you are taking extended time off the employer absolutely has a right to the diagnosis.
Blueontop wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:39 pm Also when the time comes you don’t have to disclose that you knew about this surgery coming down the line months ago…. Simple something medical has come up and I need surgery. You do realize you don’t have to disclose any medical issues in detail right?

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

Update: It all worked out for me in the end. I was offered a position with one of the companies I interviewed with that said they really appreciated my honesty. I'm glad they're giving me a chance and it's one less thing for me to worry about leading up to the procedure :)

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

RockSalty wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:23 pm Update: It all worked out for me in the end. I was offered a position with one of the companies I interviewed with that said they really appreciated my honesty. I'm glad they're giving me a chance and it's one less thing for me to worry about leading up to the procedure :)
Good work, not enough people are honest in this business. Short term contract work is so tough to find unless you have a really specific skill set and either a type rating and current ppc already, or it's an operation that doesn't require a ppc like some survey work, non high performance aircraft, or ones where a pcc is enough. A lot of seasonal pilots struggle to find complementary seasonal jobs.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

flyinhigh wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:39 pm That would stand until said potential employer reads Avcanada (yes they actually do) and sees this topic. Lol

Also, don’t be to sure about disclosure of medical conditions. If your ill it’s one thing, when you are taking extended time off the employer absolutely has a right to the diagnosis.
Blueontop wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:39 pm Also when the time comes you don’t have to disclose that you knew about this surgery coming down the line months ago…. Simple something medical has come up and I need surgery. You do realize you don’t have to disclose any medical issues in detail right?

Ya ummm no… :roll: a right to a doctors note stating unfit to work yes, not a diagnosis.

Return to “Employment Forum”