Gear for moving and working up north?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

SRV
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Gear for moving and working up north?

Post by SRV »

Northern Ontario is not Northern Canada but aside from that the winters are much like Southern Manitoba...cold and long. You better have a sober hobby...
---------- ADS -----------

Couldn't Stand the Weather
TrilliumFlt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TrilliumFlt »

SRV wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:42 am Northern Ontario is not Northern Canada but aside from that the winters are much like Southern Manitoba...cold and long. You better have a sober hobby...
It's not "north" until your above the tree line. :wink:

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

TrilliumFlt wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:02 pm
SRV wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:42 am Northern Ontario is not Northern Canada but aside from that the winters are much like Southern Manitoba...cold and long. You better have a sober hobby...
It's not "north" until your above the tree line. :wink:
I require a minimum day length of eight hours.

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

I'm going to be starting with a medevac operator up north in the prairies next month, some good info here but I'm still on the fence about just layering with cheaper stuff or dropping $$$ on a really nice down parka (gonna talk to the boss about any discounts or if they just give us gear before I buy anything). I'm probably wrong but I can't imagine I'd be doing enough loading/unloading to be concerned about getting too hot or worrying about ruining some nicer gear.

Its my first turboprop so I don't know what to expect for heating inside the plane. I like the idea of being able to just take off the one big layer and be done with it, I spent last winter flying a plane with a janitrol heater that was either "off" or "hotter than the f*cking sun" so I'd always be uncomfortable if I was layered up too much.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

RockSalty wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:03 am I'm going to be starting with a medevac operator up north in the prairies next month, some good info here but I'm still on the fence about just layering with cheaper stuff or dropping $$$ on a really nice down parka (gonna talk to the boss about any discounts or if they just give us gear before I buy anything). I'm probably wrong but I can't imagine I'd be doing enough loading/unloading to be concerned about getting too hot or worrying about ruining some nicer gear.

Its my first turboprop so I don't know what to expect for heating inside the plane. I like the idea of being able to just take off the one big layer and be done with it, I spent last winter flying a plane with a janitrol heater that was either "off" or "hotter than the f*cking sun" so I'd always be uncomfortable if I was layered up too much.
The temperature in the plane will likely depend on the captain of the flight. Or the time of night you're flying. Or the medic who's cold and thus claims the patient needs it warmer... I always preferred to keep it as low as possible, since you are indeed all layered up.

You'll likely get some uniform clothing items. Cheap layers seems to work best.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

Great info, thanks!

Synchrotron
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Synchrotron »

olivierw has it right. It reads like OP has a good list going. The merino wool is the best. You can wear that stuff for a few days and not stink.
The snow goose parka is great if you have to spend much time outside at -30 or -40 blow celsius. However, it does not pack up nicely. Uses a whole overhead bin or seat.

I'm in maintenance so if I'm flipping out a starter/generator on the ramp in Baker Lake at -35 I use big chainsaw mitts with a finger to open up cowlings etc. but have glove liners to do the 1/4" nuts on the generator. I hold the Big mits between my knees while I'm on the ladder. I drop all the small nuts and washers and the tool into the R/H big mit. (And occasionally my hands, to warm them up.)
By that time, the lads have got the Herman fired up and the duct hooked up to the ladder. Hopefully.

You'll know the northern maintenance guys. The arms of their coats/jackets are all shredded.

Return to “General Comments”