Keewatin ad

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Keewatin ad

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

"Candidates who have failed PPC and IRT’S will not be considered"

I haven't noticed this before in other job ads. I've known lots of good pilots over the years who've had a failed ride. First PPC on type, crappy training, crappy sim partner, problems in personal life....there's a multitude of reasons and it seems a little excessive to exclude a sizeable number of pilots from applying (I'm not even sure how they'd know without asking TC).

On a side note, this was well known as the shittiest operator to work for, with the worst WAWCONs in the medevac world for a long time. Anyone know if things improved?
---------- ADS -----------

Caterpillar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Keewatin ad

Post by Caterpillar »

No intentions of applying, but I'm just curious of what is the bond... The 18 months seems abusive, isn't it?

Since I’m flying the King Air, does that qualify me to fly the Queen of the skies?
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

So they want liars to work there :twisted:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
tsukubacpe
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tsukubacpe »

Deleted

citabriaguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by citabriaguy »

Who is out here signing a 18 mo. loan agreement with 2,000 hrs and ATPL to fly the north? I wouldn't consider it for a jet just on principle but for a turboprop its laughable :lol:

Minimums
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Minimums »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:47 am "Candidates who have failed PPC and IRT’S will not be considered"

I haven't noticed this before in other job ads. I've known lots of good pilots over the years who've had a failed ride. First PPC on type, crappy training, crappy sim partner, problems in personal life....there's a multitude of reasons and it seems a little excessive to exclude a sizeable number of pilots from applying (I'm not even sure how they'd know without asking TC).

On a side note, this was well known as the shittiest operator to work for, with the worst WAWCONs in the medevac world for a long time. Anyone know if things improved?
Believe they have a bit. Just know what you are walking into. Mostly dark too., just follow the rules.

cargocowboy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cargocowboy »

Not the worst gig for 2/2 rotation with paid travel and accoms. Allows you to live anywhere, which is important to some people for a variety of reasons.

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

They seem to be a bit desperate, they've run the same ad now every week for the past 5 weeks. I guess 40k for a King air FO or 60K for a Kingair Capt isn't the lure it used to be...

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

Invertago wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:15 pm They seem to be a bit desperate, they've run the same ad now every week for the past 5 weeks. I guess 40k for a King air FO or 60K for a Kingair Capt isn't the lure it used to be...
Especially with the 18 month bond. Says a lot that they can't find anybody right now

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

The training is terrible. After working the ramp for a year, they told me I would get a ground school date. After that I waited and waited for training as my IFR had now lapsed. They bounced me around the north and back before calling me at 7am to tell my at 8:30 I would do the PPC. I had less than 20 hours on type and no instrument approaches as the flights I had done were all VFR. Was told I failed the ride and was let go promptly, no retries. A friend of mine was told he had 1 week to finish an IFR if he wanted to be hired. All in all a complete shit show and waste of time.

A year later spoke with an owner of a northern Ontario operator who was let go back when they were first flying the PC12s. He was told he was not flying to their standards and let go. His past experience was 5000+ hours with Learjet PIC international medevac.

The amount of nepotism that goes on there is incredible. Save yourself the headache and look elsewhere, it sounds like nothing has changed 15 years later.

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

Another posting of you want DEC and have 4000 hours with 1500 citation or similar. Pilot shortage is a long ways away with those requirements.

Position: C560 Captain
Salary: Per CBA
Minimum Experience:

 Valid ATPL and Instrument Rating
 4000 hours total time fixed wing of which 1500 hours must have been in or a combination a Citation, or similar aircraft type
 1000 hours muti-engine pilot in command
 Have recent (in the last 4 years) progressive aviation/flight experience in geographical remote Canadian locations
 Pilot’s personal record in relation to aviation shall not include any conviction under subsection 7.3(1) of the Aeronautics Act; or (II) two or more
convictions, occurring during separate unrelated events, under the Canadian Aviation Regulations
 Have strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills
 Must possess a valid Canadian Passport
 Legal to enter the United States
 Must provide a clear - Criminal Records, Child Abuse Registry and Vulnerable sectors Check
 Preference will be given those who already have a C-560 Endorsement
 Fully vaccinated with a Canadian approved COVID-19 vaccination

A six (6) month probationary period is assigned to this position. An 18 – month training Loan agreement is also applicable.

The successful individuals from the competition cannot be awarded the positions until the United States Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has informed our training facility that the candidate does not pose a threat to aviation or national security and that the appropriate waiting period has expired. For those individuals who do not have an aircraft endorsement over 12,500 lbs. the normal waiting period is a least 60 days. The waiting period does not begin until TSA has received all the information required including a candidate's fingerprints, documentation and fees.

Please e-mail your cover letter and resume directly to pilotcareers@keewatinair.ca by no later than January,13th 2022.

Keewatin Air LP reserves the right to hire the most suitable internal or externally candidate as a result of this competition. Only those candidates who screen into the aforementioned criteria will be considered and contacted to participate in the competitive process.

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

They can ask for whatever they want. Guaranteed they aren’t receiving resumes from people with that time. They’ll end up hiring way lower

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

LegoMan wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:44 am The training is terrible. After working the ramp for a year, they told me I would get a ground school date. After that I waited and waited for training as my IFR had now lapsed. They bounced me around the north and back before calling me at 7am to tell my at 8:30 I would do the PPC. I had less than 20 hours on type and no instrument approaches as the flights I had done were all VFR. Was told I failed the ride and was let go promptly, no retries.
That seems kind of rude to you but also expensive to the point of absurdity to themselves. Who would sink effort like that into their employees only to cut them loose for shaky reasons before they earn any money for the company? It just sounds foolish.

stef
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by stef »

That reads like an ad to give internal candidates a big advantage in dealing with HR. 4000hrs for a jet captain in the arctic sounds pretty low to me tbh, but maybe not for someone who has been riding right seat for a couple years. Sounds like that’s who they will get, and all power to them. I don’t see an issue with that at all.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

Keewatin will most likely hire from inside the company. It only makes sense. Pilots there are used to the operation and flying the Citation from YFB to YOW is much easier than going with the B200 to Pangnirtung or Arctic Bay.

Return to “Employment Forum”