Contrasting views on doing VO.

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Contrasting views on doing VO.

Post by RippleRock »

dumpsterfire wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:55 pm
RippleRock wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:22 pm O.K.

What is the plot then? It's quite possible I've missed something.

Perhaps the Company made a crewing error. This is entirely possible due to the situation rapidly changing both with psychotic border restrictions and Virus spread predictions.

Are you going to hold their feet to the fire during our busiest season with the likelyhood of flight cancellations forcing our passengers to choose another carrier for making this error??? What about the likelihood of delaying the return of our furloughed members because we need to gut the training department to cover flying? There is no fear mongering as others have suggested, it's just a logical consequence of taking a stand in a busy season. What point does refusing VO make, other than you are frustrated with shit representation???

They are bringing furloughs back as fast as the training department will allow. That's a fact.

Any failings were of ACPA and our inability to negotiate properly. Is this the Corps fault? Maybe we should look in a mirror.
Plot:

Union: "We are finally showing some solidarity around here so no voluntary overtime until all of us are on payroll"

Company: "Ok...umm...looks like we may have some coverage issues over the Holiday season..."

Union: "OK - Happy Holidays!"

Company: "Umm could we entertain you with a Let to expedite getting guys back"

Union:
"Sure...all guys back on payroll and you can train whoever, whenever, however"

Company: "OK"

Voila: everyone happy
D-E-T-A-T-C-H-E-D

I have a bit more knowledge of the training requirements to believe its that simple.

However, I guess we continue to punish the Corp for ACPA deficiencies and failings if makes us sleep better.
---------- ADS -----------

pumpkinpatch
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pumpkinpatch »

RippleRock wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:12 pm

Perhaps the Company made a crewing error. This is entirely possible due to the situation rapidly changing both with psychotic border restrictions and Virus spread predictions.

Are you going to hold their feet to the fire during our busiest season with the likelyhood of flight cancellations forcing our passengers to choose another carrier for making this error??? What about the likelihood of delaying the return of our furloughed members because we need to gut the training department to cover flying? There is no fear mongering as others have suggested, it's just a logical consequence of taking a stand in a busy season. What point does refusing VO make, other than you are frustrated with shit representation???

They are bringing furloughs back as fast as the training department will allow. That's a fact.

Any failings were of ACPA and our inability to negotiate properly. Is this the Corps fault? Maybe we should look in a mirror.
Plot:

Union: "We are finally showing some solidarity around here so no voluntary overtime until all of us are on payroll"

Company: "Ok...umm...looks like we may have some coverage issues over the Holiday season..."

Union:

D-E-T-A-T-C-H-E-D

I have a bit more knowledge of the training requirements to believe its that simple.

However, I guess we continue to punish the Corp for ACPA deficiencies and failings if makes us sleep better.
The only one detached is you.

The cost to bring the rest of our furloughs back is a rounding error on yearly expenses. Who do you think is paying for all the Jazz pilots sitting at home getting paid right now? It's not Chorus. The difference is the Jazz pilots actually understand their worth and are willing to fight for it.

pumpkinpatch
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pumpkinpatch »

Plot:

Union:

Bingo.

As long as guys like Ripplerock, the YUL Chair and VC, and the Scope Chair keep taking overtime then something like this will never happen. When your own union reps, elected or volunteer are taking OT while we have pilots on the street, selling their homes, digging ditches and delivering UBEREATS, we'll never get ahead.

2024 is going to be a bloodbath at this rate.

737Maximilian
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 737Maximilian »

Ripplerock,

It's clear this new variant will have a negative impact on travel thanks to the new government restrictions. Do you think it not plausible AC will slow down recalls, knowing that any surplus flying can be covered by VO?

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

RippleRock, I'm assuming you posted this opinion here instead of ACPF due to the anonymity afforded on this forum.

I am a furlough. The fact that guys are taking VO (elected union officials no less!) while my colleagues and I are struggling to put food on the table makes me sick. EI has run out. Savings are depleting quickly. Lines of credit are draining. Credit cards are maxxed out. Cars are sold. Get the picture yet?

Put me back on payroll and I honestly don't give a flying fack how much VO gets done, none of us would. That is the crux of your argument. If they can't train me until July, so be it. At least my bills are paid with my meager, reduced to 65 hours flat pay salary. Works out to basically the ACPA advance on the 1st, in case you're wondering how much that might be. That would have to last me the entire month too, but hey, it's better than the zero I'm getting at this point. Coincidentally, it's also about the same amount a 20 year skipper like you would make on a single VO turn.

So yes, by all means, VO your heart out. I'll wait here, patiently. All of us furloughs will.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

VO subverts a united group on many levels.

If nobody did VO we would all enjoy about 10-15% increase in seniority.

Overall we would have a higher payroll to flight ops.

We would be a more united group.

Furloughs would be back already, if they ever went.

Why do you think the company likes VO?

It's not so RP or this YUL guy or the YVR LEC Chair and Vice or "bruh" can do 100 hour months every month and make a pile while most of the pilot group collected below the minimum.

It's because it's cheaper for them overall - fewer 777 CAs, fewer pilots, and a divided group.

And it's one thing when a clueless apathetic line guy takes VO, it's another thing when guys on the MEC or Scope committee Chairs are serial offenders. There's a difference.

Hypothetically when negotiating breaks down at some future contract opener, do you think it's still OK to do VO then?

Do you think there is any limit?

Do you think VO is a raise?

aeronauticaldisaster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aeronauticaldisaster »

RippleRock wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:22 pm
D-E-T-A-T-C-H-E-D

I see that you "know a thing or two about training"

But why do you keep circling back to training

We are talking about

P-A-Y-R-O-L-L

Ratherbe
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ratherbe »

On the new IADP you can select the mail icon and send the following:

“PASS ALL VO“

This way you won’t get a call from crew sked and they will see how much potential coverage they don’t have for VO.

As I said before this is about personal integrity.

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

altiplano wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:00 am VO subverts a united group on many levels.

If nobody did VO we would all enjoy about 10-15% increase in seniority.

Overall we would have a higher payroll to flight ops.

We would be a more united group.

Furloughs would be back already, if they ever went.

Why do you think the company likes VO?

It's not so RP or this YUL guy or the YVR LEC Chair and Vice or "bruh" can do 100 hour months every month and make a pile while most of the pilot group collected below the minimum.

It's because it's cheaper for them overall - fewer 777 CAs, fewer pilots, and a divided group.

And it's one thing when a clueless apathetic line guy takes VO, it's another thing when guys on the MEC or Scope committee Chairs are serial offenders. There's a difference.

Hypothetically when negotiating breaks down at some future contract opener, do you think it's still OK to do VO then?

Do you think there is any limit?

Do you think VO is a raise?
Agree 100%, but we voted to endorse Rouge by 84%. There is nothing that subverted seniority or unity more than that, and I'm hoping there never will be.

Doing a bit of VO to take up some of the slack while we recover from Covid doesn't even come close. This is an isolated scenario. And, NO, I don't think doing VO for purposeful under-crewing should be allowed, nor should it be allowed during legal job action. It's our Unions job to enforce and correct things like this.

Part of my point is that we have "dropped the ball" on unity long ago. Members continually vote YES whenever our MEC supports an initiative. Every time. This has made for a disjointed, fractured group that is somewhat bitter and resentful. Lashing out at the Company for our own failings is wrong. It isn't the Company's fault that we are where we are, it's our Unions soft handed approach to protecting our contract. They are offering little to no guidance on this topic......that speaks volumes. If you want them to chime in, perhaps ask for their position. My bet the answer is crickets.

The Company is in a bit of a bind right now, helping out a bit shouldn't be condoned. Just keep it in perspective with regard to Covid recovery.

FWIW, If people hate the concept of VO that much, and there isn't any instance where its acceptable, maybe it should be written out of our next contract entirely.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:02 am RippleRock, I'm assuming you posted this opinion here instead of ACPF due to the anonymity afforded on this forum.

I am a furlough. The fact that guys are taking VO (elected union officials no less!) while my colleagues and I are struggling to put food on the table makes me sick. EI has run out. Savings are depleting quickly. Lines of credit are draining. Credit cards are maxxed out. Cars are sold. Get the picture yet?

Put me back on payroll and I honestly don't give a flying fack how much VO gets done, none of us would. That is the crux of your argument. If they can't train me until July, so be it. At least my bills are paid with my meager, reduced to 65 hours flat pay salary. Works out to basically the ACPA advance on the 1st, in case you're wondering how much that might be. That would have to last me the entire month too, but hey, it's better than the zero I'm getting at this point. Coincidentally, it's also about the same amount a 20 year skipper like you would make on a single VO turn.

So yes, by all means, VO your heart out. I'll wait here, patiently. All of us furloughs will.
As someone on the outside looking in and having a very brief association on a union executive years back, I find it inconceivable senior levels would avail themselves of lucrative overtime. It’s morally reprehensible in that guys/gals like yourself are outside suffering through the many things you noted while the very ones( Union Executive) are fattening their personal benefits(pay and pension). This has to be galling especially if you are been on the AC property for a few years.

pumpkinpatch
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pumpkinpatch »

RippleRock wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:26 pm
FWIW, If people hate the concept of VO that much, and there isn't any instance where its acceptable, maybe it should be written out of our next contract entirely.

Yet AGAIN, you are completely missing the point. This has nothing to do with a discussion about VO/Draft in general. Under normal times I could care less. Fly as much as you want, fill your boots.

The point is, right now there's nearly 500 pilots at home without a paycheck. IT'S ABOUT SENDING A MESSAGE OF SOLIDARITY.

Something we severely lack, and the company knows it which is why they push the line with everything in our contract. Since you're on the other forum I'm sure you've seen the recent bullshit people have had to deal with regarding the new RAP system, best fit, and the most recent thread about being denied J for DH. These are all things the company does on purpose to push the limit of what they can get away with. And if you can't see that then you are extremely naive.

737Maximilian
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 737Maximilian »

RippleRock wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:26 pm Doing a bit of VO to take up some of the slack while we recover from Covid doesn't even come close.
Again, what if the company uses this to justify slowing down recalls, given the new travel restrictions coming into effect? You're acting like recalling at the fastest pace is virtually guaranteed at this point.
RippleRock wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:26 pm The Company is in a bit of a bind right now, helping out a bit shouldn't be condoned.
So we are in agreement, I guess?

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:02 am I am a furlough. The fact that guys are taking VO (acclaimed union officials no less!) while my colleagues and I are struggling to put food on the table makes me sick. EI has run out. Savings are depleting quickly. Lines of credit are draining. Credit cards are maxxed out. Cars are sold. Get the picture yet?
FIFY

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Naive is right.

It has to stop somewhere. And until more people say "enough is enough" and make a decision to stop it, stop giving in, stop extending, stop picking up the phone on your day off, stop fixing it for them, they will keep rolling over us.

They have people whose job it is just to @#$! us, see what they can push, see where they can nickel and dime, see what they can get away with, push the boundaries of what is normal.

From the DH issues to the millions in stolen per diems every year to the illegal vacation buybacks to scope violations to FRMS violations to installing tracking software into the apps they want us to use on our personal devices to pushing the spirit of the RAPS to lying crew schedulers and on and on and on... and we keep buying in for more... Are we all stupid?

We are governed by a zillion bulletins a day from just as many managers who unilaterally change our work conditions and then change their minds and change them again and then get a fucking award of excellence and a Caribbean cruise and their picture on the website.

Stop playing their games. Start flying your block and only your block. Stop extending. Start saying no every chance you get. Let them do their jobs and stop fixing their F-ups.

This is our airline, and the first step in taking it back is saying that we've had e-fucking-nuff. Not another inch, in fact we're taking back a mile and our self respect.

Until then... you, me, every member of this association, we're just a bunch of cunts.

pumpkinpatch
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pumpkinpatch »

altiplano wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:59 pm Naive is right.

It has to stop somewhere. And until more people say "enough is enough" and make a decision to stop it, stop giving in, stop extending, stop picking up the phone on your day off, stop fixing it for them, they will keep rolling over us.

They have people whose job it is just to @#$! us, see what they can push, see where they can nickel and dime, see what they can get away with, push the boundaries of what is normal.

From the DH issues to the millions in stolen per diems every year to the illegal vacation buybacks to scope violations to FRMS violations to installing tracking software into the apps they want us to use on our personal devices to pushing the spirit of the RAPS to lying crew schedulers and on and on and on... and we keep buying in for more... Are we all stupid?

We are governed by a zillion bulletins a day from just as many managers who unilaterally change our work conditions and then change their minds and change them again and then get a fucking award of excellence and a Caribbean cruise and their picture on the website.

Stop playing their games. Start flying your block and only your block. Stop extending. Start saying no every chance you get. Let them do their jobs and stop fixing their F-ups.

This is our airline, and the first step in taking it back is saying that we've had e-fucking-nuff. Not another inch, in fact we're taking back a mile and our self respect.

Until then... you, me, every member of this association, we're just a bunch of cunts.
:prayer:

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

NotDirty! wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:50 pm
PostmasterGeneral wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:02 am I am a furlough. The fact that guys are taking VO (acclaimed union officials no less!) while my colleagues and I are struggling to put food on the table makes me sick. EI has run out. Savings are depleting quickly. Lines of credit are draining. Credit cards are maxxed out. Cars are sold. Get the picture yet?
FIFY
Real Klassy of you NotDirty. Yep, I spelled it with a capital K. Does it make you feel good to kick your brethren down when they are in the dumps?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:15 pm
FIFY
Real Klassy of you NotDirty. Yep, I spelled it with a capital K. Does it make you feel good to kick your brethren down when they are in the dumps?
What's wrong with that?

Wasn't the most recent prick acclaimed?

Just shows the absurdity - the clowns running this place.

No wonder we're fucked.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

FIFY
Not trying to kick anyone! Just pointing out the viscous circle of our present system. We complain about union leadership, and our inability to make meaningful gains. This leads to apathy and nobody steps up to run for open positions, thus we have MEC members acclaimed into their positions. Wash, rinse, repeat.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

NotDirty! wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:58 pm

FIFY
Not trying to kick anyone! Just pointing out the viscous circle of our present system. We complain about union leadership, and our inability to make meaningful gains. This leads to apathy and nobody steps up to run for open positions, thus we have MEC members acclaimed into their positions. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Fair enough. My apologies, I hadn’t read though your initial post with the wee bit of sarcasm you’d intended. I get your flesh reference now.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

I think maybe my use of the term “Fixed It For You” was poorly understood. I was not trying to dispute Gen. Postmaster’s message, simply pointing to the absurdity of our lack of choice in leadership candidates. I changed the one word in his quote from “elected” to “acclaimed”, made it bold and italic to stand out better, and wrote “FIFY” which is internetese for “Fixed It For You”. I suppose I could have just left his quote unedited, and written “you spelled ‘acclaimed’ wrong”, maybe that would have caused less confusion.

Anyways, I think we probably agree on a lot of things, sorry for any misunderstanding.

Return to “Air Canada”