Question for my WestJet friends

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pumpkinpatch
Rank 1
Rank 1

Question for my WestJet friends

Post by pumpkinpatch »

Can you explain your reserve system?

How do your RAPs work, can you bid them? Can the company change them after assigned? Long call? Short call only? Lienholder rights after assigned (pay protected) or no?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Question for my WestJet friends

Post by imjustlurking »

pumpkinpatch wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:19 pm Can you explain your reserve system?

How do your RAPs work, can you bid them? Can the company change them after assigned? Long call? Short call only? Lienholder rights after assigned (pay protected) or no?

Thanks
Reserve blocks are biddable.

RAP is ReAssigned Pairing and is only added to the schedule when a pilot is taken off of a pairing and not assigned to another pairing. It is like reserve but the call out period starts and ends at the same time that the pairing the pilot was removed from was scheduled to be (report to release). You cannot bid them, but there is nothing in the collective agreement that prevents them from being traded.

You can be called before your callout period, but you are not required to pick up the phone until your call out period begins. If you are put on RAP, you get sched or better whether you are called out or not.

Note: Not a WestJet pilot, but familiar enough with their operations

pumpkinpatch
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pumpkinpatch »

Ok I just used RAP = Reserve Availability Period which sounds like the same thing as callout period.

How long are they, and can they be bid on? Can crewsked change the callout period after they've been assigned? Can they bid specific days, or are canned reserve blocks created and you pick the one that you like the best?

What are the max days off in a row that a reserve pilot can bid and be assigned while on reserve?

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

pumpkinpatch wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:25 pm Ok I just used RAP = Reserve Availability Period which sounds like the same thing as callout period.

How long are they, and can they be bid on? Can crewsked change the callout period after they've been assigned? Can they bid specific days, or are canned reserve blocks created and you pick the one that you like the best?

What are the max days off in a row that a reserve pilot can bid and be assigned while on reserve?
Coded as RES-PA, RES-PB, or as required based on the number of Reserve callout times available.
How long are they, and can they be bid on?
They are usually 12 hour blocks and can be assigned 1-5 consecutive days. Reserve is biddable in Wings (bidding system).
Can crewsked change the callout period after they've been assigned?
I am not too familiar with the change of schedule process, but I believe that the call out window can be changed, but it needs to be done several days in advance at the very least.
Can they bid specific days, or are canned reserve blocks created and you pick the one that you like the best?
You cannot bid for reserve for specific days, only bid to desire reserve or avoid reserve. Days off are a separate item in the bid. Reserve are not published pairings, so you get what you get and it could be at any time for any length (up to five days).

slob driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by slob driver »

Hi there,

As the previous poster identified that they aren't a WJ pilot (Crew scheduling or crew planning in WJ perhaps? Not certain) and some of the codes the poster identifies I don’t recognize from our collective agreement, so I thought as a WJ pilot, I’d help you through your question what our reserve system looks like from the Pilot Collective Agreement perspective.

Can you explain your reserve system? How do your RAPs work?

It's a mix of long call reserve and short call reserve. As of right now, max 16 days mixed lines (mixed being flying and reserve days). Can go to 18 days pure reserve lines, but the company is having a difficult time implementing this from a software standpoint. Each base and type/seat has a minimum of 10% of active pilots to a maximum of 20% of active pilots on reserve each monthly scheduling period. The ratio of Long call to short call is as follows-

A Pilot assigned Reserve (mixed and full lines) will be awarded only Long Call Reserve (LCR) or
Short Call Reserve (SCR A/B) upon schedule release in order of seniority.
a) The Company will be required to award a minimum of twenty-five percent (25%) of all
Reserve lines as LCR for each Position in a Monthly Scheduling Period.
NOTE: If the twenty-five percent (2S%) ratio in (a) above results in a partial Position, the number of LCR lines will always be rounded up.
Eg. There are ten (10) Reserve lines (mixed and full lines) for YYC 787 First Officer Position, there shall be a minimum of 3 LCR lines.
b) Notwithstanding (a) above, the Company will have the option to award a minimum of twenty percent (20%) of all Reserve lines as LCR for each Position in a Monthly Scheduling
Period up to five (5) Monthly Scheduling Periods per Calendar Year. If the Company exercises this provision, the Association and the Pilots will be notified by the Company two (2) calendar days prior to the closing of the bid for the Monthly Scheduling Period in question.

Long Call reserve (LCR) is awarded in order of seniority.

LCR rules are as follows-

10-5.06. Long Call Reserve ("LCR"):
a) Long Call Reserve will have a Reserve Availability Period {RAP) from 06:00-20:00 PST;
b) The Company will attempt to make LCR assignments no less than forty-eight {48) hours in advance of Report Time. Assignments made to a LCR Pilot do not have to depart within a Pilot's RAP;
c) The first day of LCR: Assignments that are given for the first day of an LCR sequence, shall be assigned to a Pilot's schedule by 1700 (PBT), the day prior to the first day of the LCR sequence;
d) A Pilot on LCR shall respond within thirty (30) minutes of initial contact from the Company;
e) Once assigned a Pairing, an LCR Pilot shall report for duty no later than the specified
period listed below:
i. If any Pilot is called between 0600-1400 PBT, then the earliest Report shall be twelve (12) hours later.
ii. If any Pilot is called between 1401·1700 PBT, then the earliest Report shall be 0500 PBT the following day.
i ii. If any Pilot is called between 1701-2000 PBT, then the earliest Report shall be 0900 PBT the following day.
f) A Pilot on LCR may only be converted to SCR if previously assigned a pairing, and only two (2) days or less remain within their Reserve block. Notwithstanding 10-7.01, the converted Pilot's SCR RAP must remain the same as their original LCR RAP; and
g) Once an LCR Pilot is given an Assignment the Pilot shall be on minimum rest of no less than twelve (12) hours or the Rest Period as indicated in 10-S.06(e) above, and shall not be required to be on-call for the Company until the start of the Assignment or their next RAP; and
h) On the last day of a block of Reserve days, if the LCR Pilot is not given an Assignment by 0900 Permanent Base Time, the Reserve Pilot will automatically be released from their RAP. A Pilot may be released earlier by the Company.

Short call reserve (SCR) rules as follows-

10-5.07. Short Call Reserve (“SCR”):
a) There are two standard call-out windows for SCR:
i. SCR A blocks have a callout window from 0400 – 1600;
ii. SCR B blocks have a callout window from 1300 – 0059;
iii. When operationally required, Crew Scheduling may elect to assign a SCR C block that fits between 0600-2100 with a callout window no longer than twelve (12) hours in length;
b) A Pilot’s Flight Duty Period is to include thirty-three percent (33%) of the time that the Pilot on reserve is in a Reserve Availability Period (RAP).
i. The maximum Reserve Flight Duty Period for the Reserve A block will be eighteen (18)
hours;
ii. The maximum Reserve Flight Duty Period for the Reserve B block will be sixteen (16) hours;
iii. The maximum Reserve Flight Duty Period for the Reserve C block will be eighteen (18) hours unless the RAP begins on or after 1300 in which case the maximum Reserve Flight Duty Period for the Reserve C block will be sixteen (16) hours;
iv. The maximum Reserve Flight Duty Period for a one Pilot Augmented Flight will be twenty (20) hours with a Class 1 rest facility; and
v. The maximum Reserve Flight Duty Period for a two Pilot Augmented Flight will be
twenty-two (22) hours with a Class 1 rest facility;
c) Upon reporting time, a Pilot is expected to be able to operate either the maximum scheduled Duty Period table value as per SECTION 8-11 - SCHEDULING, or the maximum Reserve Duty Period, whichever is less;
d) A SCR Pilot shall respond within twenty (20) minutes of first contact from the Company; and,
e) Reserve Pilot(s) on SCR shall make reasonable efforts to report for duty as soon as possible. This is defined as no later than two (2) hours after initial contact by the Company unless assigned to a Permanent Base where a different call-out time has been mutually agreed upon by the Company and the Association.

can you bid them?

Yes. The following bidding options are supposed to be available as per our latest LOU regarding reserve

i. LCR * software issues means LCR cannot be bid for right now. Is in the grievance sphere I believe*
ii. SCA
iii. SCB

Can the company change them after assigned? Long call? Short call only?

See the following language-

10-5.12. Reserve Pilots on SCR may be re-scheduled to an earlier or later RAP. The RAP may be
up to two (2) hours earlier or up to four (4) hours later. In either case the Pilot will receive a
minimum of twelve (12) hours notice from the Company of the start of their new RAP or thirty-two (32) hours should any part of the new RAP occur between the hours of 02:00-05:59 PBT.

Lienholder rights after assigned (pay protected) or no

10-4. RESERVE CREDIT
10-4.01. A reserve Pilot who is assigned flying on a reserve day shall, upon reporting for duty, receive
Credits toward their MMG in accordance with SECTION 8-6 - SCHEDULING RULES.
10-4.02. If the reserve Pilot has accumulated Credits that meet or exceed their Minimum Monthly
Guarantee and still has available reserve days in the current Monthly Scheduling Period, the Company
may choose to:
a) Require the reserve Pilot to maintain their reserve status, in which case the reserve Pilot will
receive no less than the MDPC as specified in SECTION 8-6 - SCHEDULING RULES, or;
b) Release the reserve Pilot from any remaining reserve days.
In no case may the Company simply hold the reserve Pilot in reserve with no reasonable expectation of
utilization.
10-4.03. A Pilot released in accordance with 10-4.02(b) above, shall be eligible to be awarded Open Time
flying as per SECTION 9-1.04 - HOURS OF SERVICE. Any Credit Hours earned shall be paid as per SECTION
21-7 – PAY AND COMPENSATION.
10-4.04. For any absence, a Pilot who is unable to work a reserve day shall be reconciled at the MDPC
rate per day. In the case of sickness, the time will be reconciled from the Pilot’s sick bank as per
SECTION 9-12 - HOURS OF SERVICE.

*MMG- minimum monthly guarantee (77.5 credit hours)*
*MDPC- minimum duty period credit (4 credit hours per day)*

As you can see, we do in fact have reserve availability periods (RAPS). Max reserve days is a row is 5 for narrowbody, six for wide body.
There have been changes as this system has been implemented, which is a process that is ongoing. There could have been some additional changes not noted above that I am not aware of. The above language is pulled from our Collective Agreement and LOU 5 FTDT/reserve implementation.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

imjustlurking wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:47 pm
pumpkinpatch wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:19 pm Can you explain your reserve system?

Thanks

RAP is ReAssigned Pairing and is only added to the schedule when a pilot is taken off of a pairing and not assigned to another pairing. It is like reserve but the call out period starts and ends at the same time that the pairing the pilot was removed from was scheduled to be (report to release). You cannot bid them, but there is nothing in the collective agreement that prevents them from being traded.

You can be called before your callout period, but you are not required to pick up the phone until your call out period begins. If you are put on RAP, you get sched or better whether you are called out or not.

As Imjustlurking rightfully pointed out, they are NOT a WJ pilot… they’re not even a pilot at all. Please be careful with this persons information as they’re all over this website posting comments that aren’t helpful to the pilot community.

A reminder to the OP. This is a public website so ppl like Imjustlurking pop up on here pretending to be something they’re not. Please do your due diligence with aviation specific questions.

T.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Transition9er2 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:09 pm
imjustlurking wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:47 pm

Thanks

As Imjustlurking rightfully pointed out, they are NOT a WJ pilot… they’re not even a pilot at all. Please be careful with this persons information as they’re all over this website posting comments that aren’t helpful to the pilot community.

A reminder to the OP. This is a public website so ppl like Imjustlurking pop up on here pretending to be something they’re not. Please do your due diligence with aviation specific questions.

T.
You have finally gotten one thing right about me... I am not a WJA pilot.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Fucking telemarketers...

Return to “WestJet”