Avada Kadabra

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Avada Kadabra

Post by CaptainKirk »

It's embarrassing that this and similar posts exist (union and company bashing).

If you're having union issues it won't get fixed venting on a public forum. All it does is make the pilot group look like cry baby victims.

Real change comes from taking action by volunteering for leadership, or voting for your choice candidate. Other than that all the complaining is in vain. Name calling, slandering, exposing someones pay schedule is childish. Hiding behind an anonymous username doing so is worse.

Look at how many posts and pages have gone into complaining. Do something about it and live with the outcome of the groups vote.

I will make a change but with my own votes and accept the results even if I don't like it. Doing otherwise is a waste of this short time on planet earth. Spend it with your loved ones instead.

I'm out...
---------- ADS -----------

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Avada Kadabra

Post by imjustlurking »

When I saw this new topic pop up, I was thinking, "another disgruntled Air Canada employee bitching to a bunch of people who can't do anything or don't care..."

I am pleasantly surprised.

pumpkinpatch
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pumpkinpatch »

CaptainKirk wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:03 pm It's embarrassing that this and similar posts exist (union and company bashing).

If you're having union issues it won't get fixed venting on a public forum. All it does is make the pilot group look like cry baby victims.

Real change comes from taking action by volunteering for leadership, or voting for your choice candidate. Other than that all the complaining is in vain. Name calling, slandering, exposing someones pay schedule is childish. Hiding behind an anonymous username doing so is worse.

Look at how many posts and pages have gone into complaining. Do something about it and live with the outcome of the groups vote.

I will make a change but with my own votes and accept the results even if I don't like it. Doing otherwise is a waste of this short time on planet earth. Spend it with your loved ones instead.

I'm out...
Why don't you go make a YouTube video about it.

😂

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

That's management material.

unionism101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by unionism101 »

CaptainKirk wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:03 pm It's embarrassing that this and similar posts exist (union and company bashing).

I'm out...
***Mic Drop***

Just kidding

This post is attempting to make a complex problem simple while dangerously pandering to a theme of disengagement and ultimately surrender

Exactly the opposite of what we need

By venting, members are building awareness to issues. If there are so many issues - this is not whining. This provides evidence that there is a widespread problem in the structure & process

How do you fix it?

Well the Air Canada Pilots Association has around 4,000 members. Not small but not huge. The idea that one should simply "vote" and "accept the results" is very problematic. First of all - it is your association. So - you have a lot more say than a "vote". You can write leaders, engage leaders, and engage members - including utilizing this forum. You refer to incident of a rep flying overtime to a union meeting. This person wasn't even voted in. So there was literally no vote available.

So why was there no other person to vote on?

This is also concerning and a symptom of a systemic failure of an association. That people feel this situation is so beyond help - they don't want to get involved - and can you blame them?

It is extremely unlikely, one person, would be able to swing the direction of this ship. It takes a committed team of members who need take hold of the situation, educate the membership on its shortcomings, and ultimately assume the reigns.

The very first stage of engagement is awareness and it is essential the membership is informed of issues. How they get it is a bit irrelevant.

And being anonymous allows protection from a company that could target individuals who could ultimately do the worst thing to them - cost them money

aeronauticaldisaster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aeronauticaldisaster »

Now that is a Mic Drop

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

I think we all know the real reason these posts happen. It's part of our "Canadian culture" which is so afraid of confrontation, especially at one's workplace that people will do anything to avoid it, regardless of how insignificant it is. In most cases, this mentality has reached a point, (for example) where an individual is being DIRECT and FIRM on their comments, and as a result many interpret it as being aggressive. We have made it into an art to dance around an unpleasant subject to the point where subtleness may be missed. It seems we're more concerned with being politically correct than rectifying a potential issue.

People post these topics here because they feel this is a place where they can vent anonymously, something they dare not do at work. It happens in every industry.

Personally, I don't agree with it either: bashing one's union or place of work. There are better ways to make a change. If anything, I call my union rep and have a discussion. I have done that and there were times he and I strongly disagreed on certain aspects, but we were able to reach a middle ground. It was done in private, respectful and constructive.

A lot of people know who I am here and where I work. It's not a secret. My nick name pretty much gives it away. I have one rule when posting on social media or forums:

I NEVER POST ANYTHING I WOULD NOT WANT MY BOSS TO SEE.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

A lot of people know who I am here and where I work. It's not a secret. My nick name pretty much gives it away.

haha, you joined in September and have 29 posts - I, for one, apologize for not knowing who you are.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

Why do you guys keep engaging this Kirk dude? He never engages in any sort of discussion, just loves to drop a controversial comment then scurry off. We all know he doesn't have the respect of his peers so he gets the ego boost he needs from wannabes on youtube.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

'97 Tercel wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:51 pm
A lot of people know who I am here and where I work. It's not a secret. My nick name pretty much gives it away.

haha, you joined in September and have 29 posts - I, for one, apologize for not knowing who you are.
Indeed :) Hahaha. I do talk to my friends from work who are also on AvCanada and they looked at my profile pic and figured out pretty quickly. No need to apologize. I'm not exactly important by any stretch of the imagination. :) Just as guy with opiniated beliefs. I was just playing on the original post regarding "anonymity"

Last edited by RoAF-Mig21 on Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pumpkinpatch
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pumpkinpatch »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:55 am
Personally, I don't agree with it either: bashing one's union or place of work. There are better ways to make a change. If anything, I call my union rep and have a discussion. I have done that and there were times he and I strongly disagreed on certain aspects, but we were able to reach a middle ground. It was done in private, respectful and constructive.
Well you obviously don't work at AC because most of the LEC reps are hot garbage and could care less if you call them. Especially out west. Montreal just cares about Montreal, and trying to make the new MEC Chair look bad. Toronto it's the only base with LEC reps that actully give a shit.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

pumpkinpatch wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:25 pm
RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:55 am
Well you obviously don't work at AC because most of the LEC reps are hot garbage and could care less if you call them. Especially out west. Montreal just cares about Montreal, and trying to make the new MEC Chair look bad. Toronto it's the only base with LEC reps that actully give a shit.
You are correct. I do not work for Air Canada. None the less, regardless of where one is employed [while I understand it] I don't condone bashing one's company or union on a public forum.

pumpkinpatch
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pumpkinpatch »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:09 pm
You are correct. I do not work for Air Canada. None the less, regardless of where one is employed [while I understand it] I don't condone bashing one's company or union on a public forum.
Good thing no one cares.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

pumpkinpatch wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:39 pm
RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:09 pm
Good thing no one cares.
That, I can not control, my good man.

dumbbell daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dumbbell daddy »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:55 am I think we all know the real reason these posts happen. It's part of our "Canadian culture" which is so afraid of confrontation, especially at one's workplace that people will do anything to avoid it, regardless of how insignificant it is. In most cases, this mentality has reached a point, (for example) where an individual is being DIRECT and FIRM on their comments, and as a result many interpret it as being aggressive. We have made it into an art to dance around an unpleasant subject to the point where subtleness may be missed. It seems we're more concerned with being politically correct than rectifying a potential issue.

Slightly off topic, but very nice dude. I usually call us polite pushovers. You just did a fantastic job of describing Canada…….to a tee.

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

I find the best way to change my life is to change myself for the better first.
There was a time I was so upset at the government, employers, and other people but, none of that helped me.

It wasn't until I cut out all that complaining did my life start to sky rocket, from being a depressed immigrant kid, where nothing was working out for me.
To having crazy amounts of successes in career, wealth, dating, confidence etc. most of which I can't even share on social media, if you know what I mean.

Yes, my industry took a dump the last 2 years and will most likely be that way for another 2 years.
But, since I'm in the driver seat of my life, what other people do doesn't matter. I suggest anyone reading this to do the same.

Take back your power over your own mind by cutting out the people that drain your focus.
People always say to me that I'm a nice guy but, I'm also known to be ruthless and rude with cutting out bad influences.

Cut out the complaining/comparing/feeling sorry for yourself.
Instead focus on your health, wealth, career strategy. It's the only way to succeed with your short time in this world.

All the best!

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Kirk,

I agree and disagree. Just complaining is useless. Anger that leads to action is useful.

Communication and education has played a huge role in setting the ground work for change within the ACPA. Not just here but on multiple platforms. That ground work could not be done through normal channels. It was tried and failed. Sometimes democracy gets messy. That’s life.

You can not get change until people are mad enough to make it happen. People are not mad enough until they understand what is actually going on. With an organization that slams shut transparency the only option is outside social media.

You may not realize ACPA does not have an officially sanctioned forum. They don’t want one. That has led to multiple non sanctioned social media water coolers. It makes it very difficult to reach ACPA pilots inside or outside of ACPA to organize.

Although I get what you are saying about the openness of the chatter, IMO it has been well worth it. The first step in doing something about it, rather than just complaining, has been achieved with great success. All of it accomplished with the use of outside social media.

So what if the public knows ACPA is a dysfunctional mess? Many of us are way past worrying about the optics. The important thing is it gets fixed.

The complaining you see, the anger it stoked, was channeled into political change you can’t see. That change takes time to have the direction altered.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

dumbbell daddy wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:07 am
RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:55 am I think we all know the real reason these posts happen. It's part of our "Canadian culture" which is so afraid of confrontation, especially at one's workplace that people will do anything to avoid it, regardless of how insignificant it is. In most cases, this mentality has reached a point, (for example) where an individual is being DIRECT and FIRM on their comments, and as a result many interpret it as being aggressive. We have made it into an art to dance around an unpleasant subject to the point where subtleness may be missed. It seems we're more concerned with being politically correct than rectifying a potential issue.

Slightly off topic, but very nice dude. I usually call us polite pushovers. You just did a fantastic job of describing Canada…….to a tee.
It may be part culture, but it's also part employment law. If management knew who half of the active users on AvCanada were, there would be far fewer AvCanada users employed at the major airlines.

smartwater
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by smartwater »

Keith, you start your post off with "What is embarrassing..."

What is embarrassing Mr. Keith D'Mello is your website advertising $75.00 to offer "guidance" to aspiring pilots. All the advice and help given to me in my career was done for free and I have paid it forward to people that I know. I did not care much for your videos on YouTube, but I do have a problem with someone offering a paid service to help folks in our industry with mere advice and words that should be given just to help someone out with their future decisions.

What is embarrassing is the professionalism you claim to portray and experience level to catch unsuspecting people who want advice in this industry.

Take your nonsense off the web, and if you truly feel that you have something to offer when it comes to choosing a flight school, provide it in the same capacity as the rest of us. I get you have a kid and you were one of the 23 Air Canada pilots let go from Cargojet. Get a job like everyone else.

I have heard your name on one too many occasions off the web and while I did not indulge in the conversations, you sir truly come across as a first class asshole asking people to pay $75.00 to help them choose a flight school.

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

smartwater wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:37 pm Keith, you start your post off with "What is embarrassing..."

What is embarrassing Mr. Keith D'Mello is your website advertising $75.00 to offer "guidance" to aspiring pilots. All the advice and help given to me in my career was done for free and I have paid it forward to people that I know. I did not care much for your videos on YouTube, but I do have a problem with someone offering a paid service to help folks in our industry with mere advice and words that should be given just to help someone out with their future decisions.

What is embarrassing is the professionalism you claim to portray and experience level to catch unsuspecting people who want advice in this industry.

Take your nonsense off the web, and if you truly feel that you have something to offer when it comes to choosing a flight school, provide it in the same capacity as the rest of us. I get you have a kid and you were one of the 23 Air Canada pilots let go from Cargojet. Get a job like everyone else.

I have heard your name on one too many occasions off the web and while I did not indulge in the conversations, you sir truly come across as a first class asshole asking people to pay $75.00 to help them choose a flight school.
Smartwater, yes I do charge for my services and they are reasonably priced.
I did it for free for a long time but then I was too booked up everyday. So, that’s when I had to introduce a fee to cut down on filling too many requests and giving each person quality information.

Here are some key points you have to consider:
1) Check out all my reviews. People are happy with the product.
2) I don’t just give my clients information. Instead, I produce RESULTS. So that means I have to work very hard to understand my clients needs and follow up with them to ensure they get results.
3) It has nothing to do with making money. In fact, it’s a very small portion of my earnings. So you really have to have a passion for it.

Do I think everyone needs to sign up with me? Not at all.
Some can take the chance of getting free advise from their friends. The success rate is a hit or miss in that case because very few people can understand your needs and articulate actionable steps.

All the best in your flying careers!

Captain Kirk

Return to “Air Canada”