Has covid changed your plan?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

2nine9two
Rank 0
Rank 0

Has covid changed your plan?

Post by 2nine9two »

Just curious if all of the instability over the past 2 years has changed anyone's plans to move from Jazz to mainline?

Even when hiring and flow does get going again is anyone a little bit spooked to give up their number and go to the bottom of a very large seniority list?

---------- ADS -----------

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Has covid changed your plan?

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

Good question. I'm sure Covid has changed a lot of people's plans. Some of them, I personally know, have moved on to other careers that have nothing to do with aviation. (One guy became a police officer and another went back to being the manager of a production company).

Personally I made the decision to stay at Jazz prior to the pandemic. It was very hard to give up my seniority to go elsewhere. My decision was 100% based on family requirements and life outside work. Career wise, it's hard to say if I made the better choice. Time will tell. A (positive) consequence of staying at Jazz is that I was lucky enough to keep my job throughout the pandemic.

Maybe some people will be hesitant to leave the "safety net" of a good Jazz seniority. Age, family status, finances and personal desires, will ultimately come into play when someone makes that decision.

CYERCaptainPooping
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CYERCaptainPooping »

My plan is to head south to America, land of the free!

Not because of Covid, but Covid definitely wants to make me speed up that process. I don’t feel any patriotism or allegiance to Canada, and Covid mostly just highlighted the deep rooted reasons this is not the place to be.

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

CYERCaptainPooping wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:48 am My plan is to head south to America, land of the free!

Not because of Covid, but Covid definitely wants to make me speed up that process. I don’t feel any patriotism or allegiance to Canada, and Covid mostly just highlighted the deep rooted reasons this is not the place to be.
How do you plan on doing that when it's not really possible to get a work visa for the states? Quitting aviation? Genuinely curious

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

scdriver wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:57 pm
CYERCaptainPooping wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:48 am My plan is to head south to America, land of the free!

How do you plan on doing that when it's not really possible to get a work visa for the states? Quitting aviation? Genuinely curious
Lots of Canadians are dual citizens (US, etc). I have dual Canadian / EU citizenship. Just a guess...

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

So why are you still here? Why haven't you left if it's so bad here, and you are treated so badly. Why are you not already long gone to greener pastures ?

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

goldeneagle wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:21 pm

So why are you still here? Why haven't you left if it's so bad here, and you are treated so badly. Why are you not already long gone to greener pastures ?

Oh come on. I'm pretty sure you know the answer. It takes a while to make such move. License conversion, finding a job, family arrangements, etc. It's not something that you can just snap your fingers and have it done overnight. I have often contemplated moving back to Europe, but it's a lot harder than one may think, for reasons stated above. I'm still considering it down the road. For now I'm looking forward to the recovery of our industry and some sort of normal return to pre-pandemic life... and New York layovers.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:01 am [Oh come on. I'm pretty sure you know the answer. It takes a while to make such move. License conversion, finding a job, family arrangements, etc.
Actually no, the answer is 'big talk is cheap', anybody can spew the bravado online behind an anonymous moniker. But then out in the real world, most dont have the guts to make such a move.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

goldeneagle wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:36 am
RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:01 am [Oh come on. I'm pretty sure you know the answer. It takes a while to make such move. License conversion, finding a job, family arrangements, etc.
Actually no, the answer is 'big talk is cheap', anybody can spew the bravado online behind an anonymous moniker. But then out in the real world, most dont have the guts to make such a move.
True for most cases, but radical changes are more common than people think.

Also don't forget, the majority of pilots here have already made big changes and decisions that required "guts". Flying in the North, relocating your family from one city to another, chasing jobs, etc. The precedent is there for most of us. I can speak from experience. I've lived in 4 provinces and (worked on a rotation basis) in 1 territory.

It's no secret that a lot of airline employees are a bit tired of the way our industry has been affected by government policies and (often) kneejerk reactions. Quite a few of my acquaintances and friends have left the industry for various reasons. I think moving to a different country is not as "outrageous" or "big talk" as you may think, especially for someone that may hold dual citizenship.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

After watching all of this unfold, I'm glad I stuck around.. Now there would have to be a pretty wild (and highly unlikely) incentive to ever go over to the dark side.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

Rowdy wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:48 am After watching all of this unfold, I'm glad I stuck around.. Now there would have to be a pretty wild (and highly unlikely) incentive to ever go over to the dark side.
Yeah. I'm glad I stuck around as well. I was lucky enough to have a seniority that kept me flying thorough this whole pandemic, although it wasn't always easy with all the unknows that came with this pandemic. If I would have gone elsewhere, I would most likely not have a job in this industry at this time. Part of it was planning, part of it was strategic thinking and part of it was just chance.

Such is this industry. Again, I'm glad I stayed.

tca
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tca »

No. I was planning on taking a 70 week vacation anyways, and was looking for an excuse to pause my career advancement for the next couple of years.

Joe Blow Schmo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Joe Blow Schmo »

Just my opinion but if you were wanting to go to AC before the pandemic you should definitely go whenever the opportunity arises. The economic boom coming out of the pandemic combined with high retirement numbers will get you quite far up the list and safe from layoffs pretty quickly. Getting into an airline early after a downturn is pretty much always the best time to be hired.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Joe Blow Schmo wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:58 pm Just my opinion but if you were wanting to go to AC before the pandemic you should definitely go whenever the opportunity arises. The economic boom coming out of the pandemic combined with high retirement numbers will get you quite far up the list and safe from layoffs pretty quickly. Getting into an airline early after a downturn is pretty much always the best time to be hired.
Hopefully any lack of movement at/from Jazz won't last much past next year.

Gravity always wins
Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

If it's an "indicator" at all AC Mainline has recently been hiring cabin crew both OTS and JZA flow through. Likely just attrition at this point and/or Covid19 vaccination hesitancy but movement still the same.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

I was in the hiring pool and almost got a class date with mainline pre covid (references were called and I had interviewed several months prior). It looks like Covid will set that transition back about 3 years however my plan is still to go to mainline given the long term pay and stability. Going from left seat at Jazz to 4 years of flat pay at mainline will be financially rough on my family but I am hoping that quick upgrades return to mainline by 2025 or so.

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

Before COVID (Regional new hire) I wasn't sure and I counted on the 1 or 2 years I had to figure it out.

It really depends on what is most important to someone in my opinion, but COVID, how Jazz and AC handeled layoffs and how long it takes to climb up both seniority list definitely makes me lean toward Jazz. Except long term pay, big aircraft, longer routes and the very slim chance AC might boot Jazz someday within the span of my career, for now I don't see many pros of going to mainline. Years and future bargainings might make it different though, and that is a gamble.

Skyfoxal
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Skyfoxal »

https://www.change.org/p/transport-cana ... n-airlines

Saw on a encore post, looks more Jazz related.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Skyfoxal wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:10 pm https://www.change.org/p/transport-cana ... n-airlines

Saw on a encore post, looks more Jazz related.
I fail to see what this has to with Jazz or the topic of this post.

I do suspect however that you are the creator of this petition.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”