THE NEXT GIGANTIC ISSUE.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: THE NEXT GIGANTIC ISSUE.

Post by geodoc »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:03 pm It astounds me that professional bus drivers with attached wings become instant experts on every issue on the planet.
A good read for how this tendency came to be:

---------- ADS -----------

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

The tax on vehicle gas the government takes will decrease due to a decrease in consumption. Gas taxes will go up up up…though it will be spun to appear like its saving the environment by discouraging use.

And there will be, in the not to distant future when they get critical mass on EV’s a government tax on either mileage and/or electric consumption.
Couple that with the reality that this electricity, or the major part of it, will be produced using carbon based fuels.

The extremists that are controlling our government from the inside, are very clever in deflecting the responsibility away from the govt. require that 50% of cars produced be EV in the next few years. But ignore where the electricity is going to produced…
Or that Canada is not California. Cold and long distances are not an EVs friend.

Yep, I think Rookie got it right this time, but time will tell. The effects of inflation are not instantaneous.

Btw. Photo. It must be an exclusive group that you subscribe to, 100% accuracy, 100% of the time. Leaves a lot of very credible people out, I think.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:03 pm It astounds me that professional bus drivers with attached wings become instant experts on every issue on the planet.
As compared to the 'expert investors' who must know more about the planet because they are.....'expert investors'. :roll:
rookiepilot wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:04 am America is a country with crumbling roads, third world airports, water pipes full of lead, schools that you’d think belonged in Haiti....
Perhaps that is what the recently passed bipartisan infrastructure bill is designed for, as opposed to the other one that is a long list of left wing spending ideas(perhaps with even one or two good ones) masquerading as an infrastructure bill.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

pelmet wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:16 pm
As compared to the 'expert investors' who must know more about the planet because they are.....'expert investors'. :roll:
Correct. Know your place. Oh, and learn to read, too.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:31 pm
Kind of arrogant but thanks, I know my place compared to the 'expert investor'. Remind how those Tesla shorts worked out again.... :lol:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/tes ... ort-shorts

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/127 ... ort-shorts

Last edited by pelmet on Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

pelmet wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:41 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:31 pm

Kind of arrogant but thanks, I know my place compared to the 'expert investor'. Remind how those Tesla shorts worked out again.... :lol:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/tes ... ort-shorts

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/127 ... ort-shorts
You just don’t know when to quit digging.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Now I suspect that you are invested in some stocks in companies that would have benefited from more EV stuff in the now dead bill. My oil dividends are still coming in strong.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

pelmet wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:47 pm Now I suspect that you are invested in some stocks in companies that would have benefited from more EV stuff in the now dead bill. My oil dividends are still coming in strong.
We’re all proud of you

just clearing the trees
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by just clearing the trees »

Almost as bad as a failed stock trader dork thinking he has the faintest clue what it takes to be a professional pilot. Hit us with another vague, open-ended prediction, Nostradamus!

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:04 am Maybe when New York City floods, all rail tunnels collapse, people are cut off, power grids buckle......
You can read this link to see how California has not only extremely high energy prices, but blackouts due to their energy policies to 'save the world'.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshe ... 7308431591

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

just clearing the trees wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:51 pm
Almost as bad as a failed stock trader dork thinking he has the faintest clue what it takes to be a professional pilot. Hit us with another vague, open-ended prediction, Nostradamus!
Don’t get triggered.

blacksmithden
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by blacksmithden »

I've been in the material handling electric vehicle/drive system game since the mid 90's. To the layman, that's forklifts, scissor lifts, boom lifts, etc. I've got a better understanding of where things are at than most. Here's a few conclusions that I've come to.

1. The electric motor and control technology required to operate a road vehicle or a light aircraft is already here. It has been for a while. The battery technology is pretty much here too. The reality is that it's still WAY to cost prohibitive to go full main stream. Improvement is still needed in that department.

2. There's absolutely no use in pointing out that building electric vehicles isn't anymore environmentally friendly than building an IC car. It's also useless to point out that the electrical infrastructure in North America can't handle the increased load to charge all these vehicles at night. It will be upgraded with time and money. Expect to see much larger increases in your power bill to cover it in the decades to come. Governments will also dump huge amounts of borrowed money into it. The wheels are in motion to move to EV, and a lot of billionaires and politicians have a big chunk of money invested in it. They will push this as hard as it needs to be pushed to make it happen through increased taxes on fossil fuels. There's trillions of dollars to be made in the coming market, and the smart person will get their investment portfolios aligned to take advantage of it.

3. This is a spin off of point number 2, but still different. There is absolutely no use in pointing out that electricity doesn't magically appear inside a wall. It has to be generated. A thinking person knows that there aren't enough solar panels and wind mills on the planet to power 10% of the EV's if the entire population switched over tomorrow. The vast majority is coming from hydro electric, coal, gas, and nuclear. That makes NO difference in the mind of 95% of the people out there. The main stream 'everything' is telling them that electric is the way to go because it's cleaner. They will follow along, and even fight for that notion even if it causes them hardship. The herd mentality is a powerful thing, and politicians are very good at making people think what they want them to think.

4. A great number of people are going to stop driving, and either work from home or take public transit to work. Many won't. The ones who are squeezed out due to cost vs income factors won't like it, but they won't have any choice. With me, it's kind of hard to drag 2000lbs of tools onto a bus everyday and spend 2 hours getting to a jobsite that changes multiple times a day. Bringing a piece of equipment to me isn't more advantageous, so I'll still be driving until I retire. Fortunately for me, I drive somebody else's vehicle, with somebody else's fuel/maintenance/insurance bill. What the governments are going to do is gradually increase costs to drive the lower class out of the driving market all together. They don't care if this causes hardship. They care that their future investments pay off. I have no doubt that some politicians are pushing it based on environmental concerns. I will be my lunch money that the vast majority of them are pushing it because their money is already invested on the bottom floor.

What does the future hold for GA ? Eventually, costs will be so high that only the élite will be able to play with bigger toys. Light aircraft that the majority of us will be able to afford will become smaller and lighter, with lower range to accommodate having to carry batteries. Your Bonanza, Cessna, and most of the conventional, commercially built aircraft will be too heavy to upgrade. I'm not a spring chicken, but I think within my lifetime, I'll see the vast majority of us start getting into slower, single or dual seat, ultralight, electric driven aircraft. Like I said before...the technology is already here for short range stuff. The costs just have to come down in order for it to go forward full bore. A more accurate way to say it might be this. The costs of flying as we know it today will gradually rise to the point where it will be cheaper for the average GA pilot to go electric over gas. I suspect the future of smaller airfields isn't good. Personally, I've got a friend with a farm, and I'll probably make a deal with him to cut a swath out of his hayfield in exchange for some cash compensation, or the opportunity to get into flying with my ultralight "whatever" that I can either keep there or fold up into a covered trailer and take home with me. I haven't worked out those finer details yet.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

Lol.. anyone can be a pylot. This is one profession you can Google your way through.

The only thing that keeps it exclusive is the cost and the type of masochist you have to be to do it for a living.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:49 pm
pelmet wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:47 pm Now I suspect that you are invested in some stocks in companies that would have benefited from more EV stuff in the now dead bill. My oil dividends are still coming in strong.
We’re all proud of you
Both those investment directions continue as the EV technology shows its usefulness in stretching fossil fuel energy to maximum in internal combustion (IC Engine) vehicles (electric is a success in power management in newer gas drivetrains ). Makes the fossil fuel go farther, value added (hurray Alberta we’ll pay more caus we need so much less).

Do we forget that our gas cars were part electric all along? (i.e. wouldn’t run without electric current) And most Volks are unsure what all the appliances consume (elec water heater was also a big one) let alone how larger all-electric EV has potential to drain and make life less reliable/more costly as an only car.

The cold provinces need the bleed coolant (mostly waste heat after ten minutes) from internal combustion to warm vehicle interior efficiently / cheapest. Waste with electric would be line-loss and ‘in and out of a battery’ (savings are from no-ICE/ICE-off and negligeable-to-nil brake-rotor heating losses)

just clearing the trees
Rank 4
Rank 4

‘Bob’ wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:38 pm Lol.. anyone can be a pylot. This is one profession you can Google your way through.
Lol, well not everyone can be a very good one. You'll be able to spot the sh!tty ones though. They're usually the ones making silly claims like, "It's so easy you can Google how to do it!"

just clearing the trees
Rank 4
Rank 4

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:48 pm
Don’t get triggered.
:lol: Whatever. Tell us something useful about soybean futures, nerd!

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

just clearing the trees wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:38 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:48 pm

Don’t get triggered.
:lol: Whatever. Tell us something useful about soybean futures, nerd!
Are you one of those that wears their uniform in the mall and winks at the 15 year old girls to feed that ego?

just clearing the trees
Rank 4
Rank 4

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:36 pm Are you one of those that wears their uniform in the mall and winks at the 15 year old girls to feed that ego?
Winking is pointless when you always wear dark aviators. But I do wish I was cool enough to have a uniform. It sure would help me feel better about myself. I guess I'll have to stick to talking shit on the internet about what other people do for a living. That's the REAL way to forget about being an abject failure in life.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

just clearing the trees wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:03 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:36 pm Are you one of those that wears their uniform in the mall and winks at the 15 year old girls to feed that ego?
Winking is pointless when you always wear dark aviators. But I do wish I was cool enough to have a uniform. It sure would help me feel better about myself. I guess I'll have to stick to talking shit on the internet about what other people do for a living. That's the REAL way to forget about being an abject failure in life.
You write like you’re about 12 years old. I’ll leave you to your obvious anger management issues. There is medication. Get help. And get out of the cockpit too.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Interesting headline today that might explain a few things.......

"Joe Manchin Tanks Solar and EV Stocks With His Build Back Better Bombshell

West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin is apparently on a mission to see just how much damage he can singularly inflict on the clean energy industry. Stock prices for major renewable energy technology companies were on the decline Monday following the senator’s weekend surprise announcement that he was tapping out on efforts to pass the $2 trillion Build Back Better Act despite months of negotiations."

By the way....seeing as we are talking about investments, my Suncor dividend doubled this year. Purchased it after covid hit. Might try the AC thing. Thanks for the tip.

Return to “General Comments”