THE NEXT GIGANTIC ISSUE.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

THE NEXT GIGANTIC ISSUE.

Post by rookiepilot »

Covid is a Zit by comparison.

CLIMATE CHANGE.

Think — inflation. Flying for one is going to get a LOT more expensive. We are in very early innings of the massive effects of the world needing to adapt.

Anyone who doesn’t see this is a fool or just not paying attention.
---------- ADS -----------

Rwy17
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: THE NEXT GIGANTIC ISSUE.

Post by Rwy17 »

Ok

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Not to worry. We are all going to be forced to drive electric cars in a few years and after the 14th wave of Covid there won’t be many airlines left anyway. Those who can afford a $1000 trip to the grocery store will still be able to afford to fly.

Let’s Go Brandon
pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

I’ve seen some attempts to do something CLIMATEWORTHY which haven’t succeeded in making a dent. In fact trying has looked so foolish in the past. The sought after payback (i.e. our survival) is hard to translate into paycheck dollars.

Planting tons of trees over thirty years, hybrid motoring as of late, trying to achieve net zero with home energy in different ways … all can seem so futile.

Money gets spent where ‘rate of return’ will not obviously work in our favour; but should we even be expecting compliments for effort at any point?

I’m up for discussing an aviation angle on this.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

I can certainly see a time when owning a private aircraft is no longer practical. Restrictions on Lead will kill 100LL, restrictions on emissions will eventually result in non-catalytic-converter-equipped piston engines being outlawed, and the cost of hybrid or electric upgrades to existing certified aircraft will be astronomically impossible to bear. The number of aircraft owned privately will decrease, and along with the reduction of the market our insurance rates will rise to compensate... Less aircraft, flown less often, etc. etc. About the only field that might survive it is Amateur-Built Aircraft, where the builders and owners can modify to make use of new technology as it arises.

Make no mistake... The future will be in electric transport, and the companies building drone-like single person (for now) prototypes are starting on the right track. One or two generations of battery improvements is all it will take.

Bingo Fuel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Bingo Fuel »

How does the airline industry get to Net Zero? Here are the methods I'm familiar with, I'm curious if there are others:

1) Biofuels. They're currently being tested, and can likely help reduce the emissions.
https://www.energy.gov/eere/bioenergy/s ... tion-fuels

2) Offsetting the carbon emissions, perhaps through the use of direct air carbon capture.
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2021 ... apture-co2

"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:38 am Covid is a Zit by comparison.

CLIMATE CHANGE.

Think — inflation. Flying for one is going to get a LOT more expensive. We are in very early innings of the massive effects of the world needing to adapt.

The scam of the century. And the vast majority of those demanding change, are hypocrites spewing carbon in the air. When the fool calling us fools sells his aircraft and stops flying, he will have a bit of credibility on the subject.

CYERCaptainPooping
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CYERCaptainPooping »

pelmet wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:17 pm

CLIMATE CHANGE.

The scam of the century. And the vast majority of those demanding change, are hypocrites spewing carbon in the air. When the fool calling us fools sells his aircraft and stops flying, he will have a bit of credibility on the subject.
This is just anti science. We need lockdowns to stop climate change.. Also carbon passports. We should also take away the jobs from anyone who refuses to drive an electric vehicle because they are overwhelming our gas stations.

I guess I have no skin left in this game, so have at it climate activists.... Take their jobs, make them change... The only ones left working in aviation are pro science and listen to experts, should have no issues!

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

CLIMATE CHANGE.

Nice Rant…. :lol:…..nothing related to what i said.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:53 pm

CLIMATE CHANGE.

nothing related to what i said.
That is possible.

DiCaprio is the worst with his business jet flights. All the hypocrisy can be seen here...

https://twitter.com/DailyMailUK/status/ ... -cop26.php

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

CLIMATE CHANGE.

You ever been to Resolute Bay or Kugaaruk in January ?

Gravity always wins
‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

Kosiw wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:04 pm You ever been to Resolute Bay or Kugaaruk in January ?

No.

And neither had anyone else until they were made permanent settlements for DEW line workers and the forced relocations of Inuit a mere 60 years ago.

As for the original issue. Im not that concerned. I think GA probably had a rosier outlook than most because it is far closer to electrification than the rest of aviation is.

Personally I think we will see fossil fuel powered airliners for a long time unless we could find a different source of power like fusion or even fission, but people likely wouldn’t go for it. Hydrogen power from excess renewable power would be a good step away from fossil fuels.

Mass air travel per person doesn’t produce as much CO2 as driving by car. But expect by the ton pricing to increase making not as much difference on an airline ticket as it will to charter or fly your own private jet. Emissions are mostly during ground and taxi. They can easily be reduced by electrifying the wheels and shore power instead of constantly running APUs.

No… the big targets will be personal transportation. Cars are by far the worst offenders and we are at the cusp of being able to replace them with electric vehicles en mass.

Unfortunately the elites need to set an example. In the pandemic era of quarantine and virtual meetings, there was absolutely zero reason for all of our leaders to fly their private jets to Scotland to talk about climate change. Something like an Oculus VR headset can even give you an immersive and interactive experience.

But regardless, whataboutism is a tired fallacy. Whenever I hear it I imagine it being spoken by a 7 year old trying to rationalize bad behaviour or negotiate a later bedtime. We need to do something.

Before yet more far right political demagogues are forced to back pedal yet-again against the anti-science rhetoric that won their votes….. in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary that is literally killing their base.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

According to Forbes, it will take 50 trillion dollars to stop global warming. Massive economic hits and adjustments. Does anyone not have the common sense to perhaps target a mere trillion to figuring out an easier way, such as some sort of carbon sink to pull it out of the atmosphere. I have a feeling Elon Musk could figure out some sort of carbon sink while still working on SpaceX and Tesla.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeikleb ... 6fc3051e23

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

Why do people always act as if the money disappears into thin air. As if none of that money involves a return on investment, job creation, or tax revenues, and as if none of that money comes from private investors or general consumers who want something better.

Renewable and sustainable energy and technologies represent perhaps one of the greatest economic opportunities of our time.

And it’s the complete opposite story with fossil fuels and the devices that need them. They increasingly represent something temporal. Not long for this world so only used to make a quick buck and not any sort of sustainable legacy. Lots of big fossil fuel projects have failed not from government overreach or environmentalists but for a dearth of investors.

And where do we want to be? Leaders setting an example and getting in on the ground floor of future technologies? Or stuck buying them from someone else as our resource sector withers for lack of customers.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

‘Bob’ wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:59 pm Why do people always act as if the money disappears into thin air. As if none of that money involves a return on investment, job creation, or tax revenues, and as if none of that money comes from private investors or general consumers who want something better.

Renewable and sustainable energy and technologies represent perhaps one of the greatest economic opportunities of our time.
Complete lack of understanding?

I agree with the above, but it won’t happen without a major restructuring of our current economic framework, which has been built on an assumption of cheap energy and low inflation. Prices will rise.

Complaining about actors in their private jets is something i won’t waste my time with.

CYERCaptainPooping
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CYERCaptainPooping »

Electric cars are not a real solution. The net environmental impact of an EV might be about half of an ICE car. It helps but it’s a misconception if people think EVs are a solution to the problem. We still should move in that direction, Something is better than nothing… but evs have a huge environmental impact.

In fact the up front production of an EV has more environmental impact. If you buy a Tesla and write it off the first year you own it, you hit the environment harder than if you did the same with an ICE car…

Real solutions are what people don’t want to hear… don’t drive an ICE car, and also don’t drive an EV… the best thing is to use neither. The best thing is to always use less. Reduce first, reuse second, and recycle last.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I am doing my part. I drive a 20 year old car that I keep in good mechanical condition. The biggest offenders are those who buy a new car every 3 years. I have never bought a new car off the showroom floor either. I prefer to let others take that financial hit!

Let’s Go Brandon
palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

You sound like Greta.

palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

What's Covid???

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Also, all those minerals for the batteries come from places where huge pit mines cause a lot of environmental damage. Plus you’re supporting the Chinese communists. The amount of mining, transportation, refining (to make the batteries) etc makes these cars no better than a regular car. Plus where is all the electricity going to come from? Not that electricity is exactly cheap at least here in Ontario these days. They are still giving rebates on our bills because it’s gotten so expensive.

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “General Comments”