COVID is ALL BUT OVER.

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.
cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: COVID is ALL BUT OVER.

Post by cdnavater »

CYERCaptainPooping wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:10 am Why on earth would anyone go to a place like Florida if they believe in masking and vaccines?

You will be surrounded by a bunch of crazy trumpians! Imjustlurking you can’t be serious… you are willing to expose yourself to the risk of Florida…. Objectively you are 3x more likely to die of Covid there than here in Canada. The science says so!

Plus you might run into people who won’t wear masks… hell maybe you won’t even see any masks. How can you justify this crazy risk you are about to take! Please stay home… we care for you and don’t want you to be exposed to the kind of crazy Florida is! Plus my grandma might die of Covid if you go to Florida… stay home!

Imjustlurking is a trump supporter! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously go have fun and enjoy… get the hell out of this idiotic place.
So, yercaptainsapoophead, aka montado, aka guy with a mask obsession.
Here, maybe you stop your incessant bleating about mask mandates, my guess is it won’t happen but nonetheless here you go!

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/countries ... -1.5711916

Countries with national mask mandates had lower COVID-19 death rates, global study finds

A study examining the association between face mask policies and a reduction in COVID-19 deaths found that countries that enacted national mask mandates at the beginning of the pandemic had significantly lower death rates per million people than countries that did not enforce any mask rules, which researchers say supports the use of face masks to prevent excess coronavirus deaths and should “be advised during airborne disease epidemics
---------- ADS -----------

CYERCaptainPooping
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CYERCaptainPooping »

I’ll need to see some evidence that vaccine work mandates saved lives.

We had substantial uptake with voluntary vaccines, so how many people were vaccinated only because the mandates?

And now the pro science guy is going to be a hypocrite and travel. Just heard our leaders ask to lead by example and cancel travel plans.

Imagine the guy who has strong enough beliefs to say he should be able to enforce the science on you. Even to the point where you lose you job… now this guy shrugs his shoulders and says “I don’t believe in that science, I’m going to Florida” very strange… I think employer’s should implement travel bans and maybe you should lose your job if you go to Florida. Sounds fair!

CYERCaptainPooping
Rank 4
Rank 4

cdnavater wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:27 pm
CYERCaptainPooping wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:10 am Why on earth would anyone go to a place like Florida if they believe in masking and vaccines?

You will be surrounded by a bunch of crazy trumpians! Imjustlurking you can’t be serious… you are willing to expose yourself to the risk of Florida…. Objectively you are 3x more likely to die of Covid there than here in Canada. The science says so!

Plus you might run into people who won’t wear masks… hell maybe you won’t even see any masks. How can you justify this crazy risk you are about to take! Please stay home… we care for you and don’t want you to be exposed to the kind of crazy Florida is! Plus my grandma might die of Covid if you go to Florida… stay home!

Here, maybe you stop your incessant bleating about mask mandates, my guess is it won’t happen but nonetheless here you go!

Countries with national mask mandates had lower COVID-19 death rates, global study finds

A study examining the association between face mask policies and a reduction in COVID-19 deaths found that countries that enacted national mask mandates at the beginning of the pandemic had significantly lower death rates per million people than countries that did not enforce any mask rules, which researchers say supports the use of face masks to prevent excess coronavirus deaths and should “be advised during airborne disease epidemics

This is not an objective way to define mask efficacy.

A comparison of countries all taking several different measures with thousands of different factors that affect Covid outcomes is not a mask study. They all have different healthcare, climate, demographics etc that influence Covid mortality.

If you want to discuss mask efficacy, find me mask specific studies that show they reduce Covid transmission. These studies don’t exist because no one will run an actual experiment and do the research. The best thing we have is mask studies with the flu and other similar viruses. Many of these studies show very little efficacy.

Instead they take data and twist it, add smoke and mirrors etc.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

CYERCaptainPooping wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:53 pm

This is not an objective way to define mask efficacy.

A comparison of countries all taking several different measures with thousands of different factors that affect Covid outcomes is not a mask study. They all have different healthcare, climate, demographics etc that influence Covid mortality.

If you want to discuss mask efficacy, find me mask specific studies that show they reduce Covid transmission. These studies don’t exist because no one will run an actual experiment and do the research. The best thing we have is mask studies with the flu and other similar viruses. Many of these studies show very little efficacy.

Instead they take data and twist it, add smoke and mirrors etc.
You really are a fucking idiot, there is no way you even read the study but somehow come to the conclusion it fucking smoke and mirrors. I also called it, it won’t change your bleating but maybe others will see your posts for what they are, idiotic!

“To improve comparability of countries and reduce chances of selection bias, the top 50 countries of the UN Development Programme Human Development Index ranking in 2019 were targeted.38 These countries are also ranked as the first 50 countries on the WHO's Health System Performance index.39 Technical definitions are provided in Appendix 2.
The comparability of selected countries was improved through controlling health system performance confounders of quality of life, education level, and public compliance (social trust) with governments. Among the 50 selected countries, 4 countries in the Southern Hemisphere (New Zealand, Australia, Chile, and Argentina) were excluded to avoid potential seasonality characteristics. Furthermore, the U.S. and Canada were excluded owing to their state/province-based policies and lack of a unified national health policy. Table 2 lists the 44 countries included in this study”

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:27 am
pelmet wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:07 pm
photofly wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:41 pm Your prophesies don't have a great record of accuracy, but I hope this one is right, at any rate.
I'll give credit where credit is due....he got the inflation one right so far.
He’s been repeating the inflation thing for what, six years, so far? I can’t be bothered to look. If I claim it’s going to rain “tomorrow” for long enough, eventually I’ll be right, but does it make me a crack weather forecaster? Hardly.
I can’t recall either, but i really got into it when i posted the thread here, “inflation is coming in a big way”. Since we haven't seen it since the 1970’s, i don’t need to be precise. Its a big call, and I am very right.

Let me educate you my friend, cause your statement reveals a common error that dooms people, when they try to invest.

I am not a forecaster, I am a trader, or more accurately, an unemployable degenerate.

Financial advisors on TV, charlatans selling market letters for $29.95 on the internet, are all concerned with looking right 90% of the time. Fools. Who sells the golden beans for $29.95?

Those who do this for real, are concerned with maximizing when we get it right.

30-35% batting average will easily get you in the hall of fame, with enough RBI’s. Same applies to my world.

CYERCaptainPooping
Rank 4
Rank 4

If masks work for Covid alpha, can we conclude they also work for omniunicorn or would we need to study that? Are there assumptions we should just make or is it fair to say when a virus mutates we need to reassess? :lol: I’m going to make a prediction. Masks are less effective with unicorn variant.

I would volunteer to be part of a mask study.

I want to see 100 busses, 50 as part of the control group, and 50 with confirmed Covid cases. Fill them up with people and see how much Covid spreads with and without masks. Simple enough study.

I’ll volunteer to go in the maskless bus!

I don’t discount masks completely, I just think the policy is idiotic. We could implement good mask policy. I have a family member who posted on Facebook “if we all wear masks for two weeks this will be over” :lol: :lol: :lol: that’s when I knew masks didn’t work… two years later no one can figure that out.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

You’re going to have learn to spell buses.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

CYERCaptainPooping wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:29 pm I want to see 100 busses, 50 as part of the control group, and 50 with confirmed Covid cases. Fill them up with people and see how much Covid spreads with and without masks. Simple enough study.
That's been done on a much larger scale. Researchers were able to get mask usage in the treatment group to 42% and the control group was around 12%. Medical masks had an efficacy of 9%. https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02457-y

Other studies have shown that typical cloth masks have an efficacy of around 3%. (sorry can't find reference right now)

Vaccination > good ventilation > social distancing > masks > plexiglass barriers (makes things worse).

Problem in Canada is that our health authorities still haven't accepted that SARS-Cov-2 is airborne (like tuberculosis*) as opposed to deposited on fomites like Influenza A is. We knew this a year and a half ago...

*Cool side fact: building codes specify minimum room sizes and occupants in a house. This is because small cramped houses of long ago were found to have higher rates of TB because of the airborne nature. Same problem as we're having on reserves right now. Small rooms, poor ventilation, too many people --> high rates of TB.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Hmmm.......I remember the Montado name. Think he is an AC pilot. Curious about aircraft type and if he got tossed from the company. Or took the vaccine and just doesn't like the masks. What are the details.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

pelmet wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:36 pm
Hmmm.......I remember the Montado name. Think he is an AC pilot. Curious about aircraft type and if he got tossed from the company. Or took the vaccine and just doesn't like the masks. What are the details.
He's convinced that I don't fly airplanes and that I'm just here to troll.

He's only half right.

CYERCaptainPooping
Rank 4
Rank 4

Hey Ontario vaccinated peeps! You guys allowed to get together for Christmas or is Christmas canceled this year?

I asked my doctor if I was vaccinated and my parents are triple vaccinated, would it be safe to go see them for Christmas and he said no. But if I absolutely had to go see them visit outside and wear masks. :lol:

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

CYERCaptainPooping wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:42 pm Hey Ontario vaccinated peeps! You guys allowed to get together for Christmas or is Christmas canceled this year?

I asked my doctor if I was vaccinated and my parents are triple vaccinated, would it be safe to go see them for Christmas and he said no. But if I absolutely had to go see them visit outside and wear masks. :lol:
NYE has been mostly cancelled in BC:

"New Year's Eve parties are not allowed. Events held on December 31 must be seated events. Standing, mingling or dancing is not permitted."

Ontario doesn't seem to have singled out NYE, but they have limited gatherings to 10 people like BC, so I guess the effect is the same. Doesn't really bother me, but I'm sure it will annoy the hell out of mr pooping. I can't imagine there is much else to do up at CYER. :smt008

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

CYERCaptainPooping wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:42 pm Hey Ontario vaccinated peeps! You guys allowed to get together for Christmas or is Christmas canceled this year?

No, no... your doctor said that YOU couldn't see your parents because YOU choose not to get vaccinated.

Also, you didn't go see a doctor, don't lie to us.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

Yes. It's over.

And Quebec had the highest number of cases in one day ever...

In one day.

I'd hate it think what it's going to be if it's not over...

CYERCaptainPooping
Rank 4
Rank 4

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1985315907553

Epidemiologist says COVID-19 is airborne, and it's time for governments to accept it.

I don’t really understand it… do we avoid calling it airborne because then masks don’t make sense unless we all use n95? At least if we had mandatory n95 mask policy this would make more sense, but at the same time it would not because most spread happens at home and settings where we can enforce masks.

Anyways just a little ridiculous our government is in denial about this. Probably because there’s no logical policy they could implement. There’s no way they will mandate n95 because the cost… would be a huge undertaking to have 37 million Canadians masks with disposable n95s daily.

So we are down to travel bans, slow the spread but just delays the inevitable
Mask wearing, (might) slow the spread but delays the inevitable. No feasible way to implement an actual logical mask policy so just tell people to wear cloth masks everywhere. However masks are not mandatory at the lost likely point of transmission, friends and family.
Vaccines, holy hell I thought this was our exit. This doc says 3 doses is the answer! I doubt it… just another can kick goal post shift… already some doctors saying we need 4, Moderna is designing a specific vaccine for the new variant.

Doesn’t seem like we have enough tools in the box… maybe one of the best things we can do is build more robust healthcare. Any takers? Should we just have more beds so we can go back to normal and deal with the waves as they hit?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

CYERCaptainPooping wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:38 pm https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1985315907553

Epidemiologist says COVID-19 is airborne, and it's time for governments to accept it.

Anyways just a little ridiculous our government is in denial about this. Probably because there’s no logical policy they could implement. There’s no way they will mandate n95 because the cost… would be a huge undertaking to have 37 million Canadians masks with disposable n95s daily.
On this point I agree with you 100%. Scientists have known since June 2020 that SARS-CoV-2 is airborne. However our governments have stuck their heads in the sand. Not sure why, but likely because admitting so would mean that HVAC systems in buildings would need a big upgrade.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Schooner69A wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:35 pm Yes. It's over.

And Quebec had the highest number of cases in one day ever...

In one day.

I'd hate it think what it's going to be if it's not over...
I wrote “give it 12 months”.

What part of that DIDN’T you understand?

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

I wrote “give it 12 months”.

Yes by golly, you did. Right after you posted:

Done. Finished. History.

By now, you should know that Covid 19 is NEVER going away. It will be with us forever. It will be treated like the ‘flu is now.

“Give it 12 months…”?

I don’t think so. Especially with what is going on in the States…

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Lots of numbers would disagree that COVID is all but over , daily infection rates are rising , daily death rates are rising , the R numbers for the latest variant is 3 to 4 . It is the R number that is alarming . That is almost as alarming than the breakthrough infections .
The numbers would indicate that some behaviours need modification. Without a change in behaviour the numbers will increase .
With over 5 million deaths so far and increases in infections and infection rates of over 620,000 daily this global pandemic is far from over .
Hopefully the Gods will show us more mercy than we show others . :goodman:

Last edited by 2R on Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I think what he means is that the outcome is now inevitable. In much the same way as the outcome of WW2 was inevitable after the Normandy beachheads were established. Sure, the fighting carried in for a time and many more lives were lost, but the smart brains turned their attention to the shape of post war Europe and the fight against communism became paramount, fascism already being in its death throes.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “Covid”