COVID is ALL BUT OVER.

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

COVID is ALL BUT OVER.

Post by rookiepilot »

Done. Finished. History.

You heard it here first…..give it 12 months.

Evidence growing the new variant is not only much milder, but will soon take over primary transmission.

Onward to bigger issues.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: COVID is ALL BUT OVER.

Post by photofly »

Your prophesies don't have a great record of accuracy, but I hope this one is right, at any rate.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

Covid will be with us until the cows come home. We will never be free of it.

In the future, it will be treated as we do the 'flu...

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Debatable, given the long history of coronaviruses managing to persist to the point of being endemic. Assuming, and it's a massive assumption at this point giving the relatively scarce and as such unreliable data available, that Omicron is a step up in transmissibility beyond Delta but lacking in severity - it will of course become the dominant strain globally. The wildcard, though, is COVID-19s continuing ability to mutate in areas where infections have been few or immunity is seriously lacking. As the virus continues to have ample opportunity to run amok, the chances become exponentially greater that it will reach a point in which it escapes vaccine immunity - which would be a big problem.

If COVID were to escape vaccine derived immunity, all bets are off. At that point, the virus can once again truly run rampant globally and we'll be largely back to square one when it comes to fighting it and its rapidly mutating offspring.

The real problem, though, comes from the absolutely ridiculous bit of hubris being displayed by many whom feel as though COVID is now beginning its inevitable decline to becoming a relatively mild yet persistently endemic coronavirus, of the same ilk as the common cold. The common cold, remember is a master at escaping natural immunity - there's a reason why you catch it again and again... But, there's absolutely no rulebook for viruses that states a virus must inevitably become less severe over time as it mutates. It may often be the case that you end up with a highly transmissible, but largely mild virus, but it's hardly the rule.

But, I'm sure soon enough the usual rabble will be along to tar and feather me as a "pandemicist", which couldn't be further from the truth - I'm merely a cynic and a realist whom is aware that Mother Nature is a mad scientist who doesn't abide by the human rule of "fair play".

CYERCaptainPooping
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CYERCaptainPooping »

“Roll up your sleeves one last time”

“Boosters are our way out of this.”

It’s time to trust our experts so we can finally end this in two more weeks. The science is clear.

I’m canceling my Christmas plans and all my trips the next month so we can stop this thing!

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

photofly wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:41 pm Your prophesies don't have a great record of accuracy, but I hope this one is right, at any rate.
I'll give credit where credit is due....he got the inflation one right so far. As for this variant, it did cross my mind that a mild and super transmissible kind might be perfect. We will see how mild this one is and wonder how much more transmissible it can get. After all, I thought we were told that the original was in that category.

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:46 pm Done. Finished. History.

Evidence growing the new variant is not only much milder, but will soon take over primary transmission.

Onward to bigger issues.
Like 7ECA said, it's still debatable.
The early signs point in the right direction though....That this virus could eventually mutate itself into oblivion.

Like the Spanish Flu did.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

pelmet wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:07 pm
photofly wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:41 pm Your prophesies don't have a great record of accuracy, but I hope this one is right, at any rate.
I'll give credit where credit is due....he got the inflation one right so far.
He’s been repeating the inflation thing for what, six years, so far? I can’t be bothered to look. If I claim it’s going to rain “tomorrow” for long enough, eventually I’ll be right, but does it make me a crack weather forecaster? Hardly.

Maybe this is a tipping point for the virus, but the concept of it becoming less dangerous and more prevalent isn’t original, as others have said. Let’s hope it’s true though!

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

TG wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:51 am
rookiepilot wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:46 pm Done. Finished. History.

Onward to bigger issues.
Like 7ECA said, it's still debatable.
The early signs point in the right direction though....That this virus could eventually mutate itself into oblivion.

Like the Spanish Flu did.
Hopefully. Thought we were due an optimistic post.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:54 am
TG wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:51 am
rookiepilot wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:46 pm Onward to bigger issues.
Hopefully. Thought we were due an optimistic post.
Onward to bigger issues!? You have a funny idea about optimism, my friend! Please, nothing bigger, not for a while, anyway.

CYERCaptainPooping
Rank 4
Rank 4

The government has a dilemma. They need to convince the unvaccinated that the vaccines work in order for them to get their first two doses, whilst at the same time convince the vaccinated that the vaccine doesn’t work so they will get their booster.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

CYERCaptainPooping wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:11 am The government has a dilemma. They need to convince the unvaccinated that the vaccines work in order for them to get their first two doses, whilst at the same time convince the vaccinated that the vaccine doesn’t work so they will get their booster.
It’s becoming comical listening the “experts” say the vaccine doesn’t give much protection against the Omi, but get your booster shots as soon as you can. Most of the cases now are in the fully vaccinated so maybe they are the new “unwashed” who are actually causing most of the spread.

Let’s Go Brandon
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

2421 cases in Onterrible today:

“Among the latest cases, the Ministry of Health says 1,530 of the cases are among fully vaccinated people, while 686 are unvaccinated, 72 are partially vaccinated and 133 have an unknown vaccination status.”

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-repor ... -1.5709895

Better double mask. :mrgreen:

Let’s Go Brandon
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

From the same CP24 report:
'Omicron’s effective reproduction (Rt) number hit 4.55, meaning that every person with Omicron is infecting more than four other people. Meanwhile, the Delta variant, which is set to be replaced by Omicron this month as the dominant strain in Ontario, has a Rt of 0.97."

Buckle up, everyone, this is going to be quite a ride!

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Inverted2 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:40 am 2421 cases in Onterrible today:

“Among the latest cases, the Ministry of Health says 1,530 of the cases are among fully vaccinated people, while 686 are unvaccinated, 72 are partially vaccinated and 133 have an unknown vaccination status.”

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-repor ... -1.5709895

Better double mask. :mrgreen:
The important bit of info (which you left out) is that if you get covid while vaccinated, it is usually mild. The article says:

"Health Minister Christine Elliott tweeted on Thursday that 141 of the ICU patients are not fully vaccinated or have an unknown vaccination status and 24 are fully vaccinated."

Anyway, it's all somewhat moot now with omicron.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Inverted2 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:40 am “Among the latest cases, the Ministry of Health says 1,530 of the cases are among fully vaccinated people, while 686 are unvaccinated, 72 are partially vaccinated and 133 have an unknown vaccination status.”
Don't you realize that of all of the reported cases, 45% of these cases are from unvaccinated people (686 unvaccinated vs 1602 fully or partially vaccinated) despite the fact that unvaccinated people only make up less than 15% of the population? Simply looking beyond total reported numbers, surely you can see that a small minority of the entire population is responsible for almost half of the cases?

Of course vaccinated people will still contract COVID, and the more people that get vaccinated, the higher the gross number of those contracting COVID will be vaccinated.

It's epidemiology 101 to see that while the majority of COVID cases are fully-vaccinated, almost half of the new cases are from unvaccinated people, despite being a small fragment of the population.

CYERCaptainPooping
Rank 4
Rank 4

So what did airlines and other employers fire people for not getting vaccinated? Was it worth it? Look at all these vaccinated people spreading Covid.

It began with a lie, a lie like the mask. You must wear a mask to protect other people. You must get vax to protect other people. Yet it’s all horse shit.

Will they double down and mandate boosters or will they let these people come back now. Doesn’t seem like a logical policy. That’s a big punishment considering the numbers are showing us the vaccinated are killing it with the spreading they are doing.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

:arrow:
DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:08 am
Inverted2 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:40 am “Among the latest cases, the Ministry of Health says 1,530 of the cases are among fully vaccinated people, while 686 are unvaccinated, 72 are partially vaccinated and 133 have an unknown vaccination status.”
Don't you realize that of all of the reported cases, 45% of these cases are from unvaccinated people (686 unvaccinated vs 1602 fully or partially vaccinated) despite the fact that unvaccinated people only make up less than 15% of the population? Simply looking beyond total reported numbers, surely you can see that a small minority of the entire population is responsible for almost half of the cases?

Of course vaccinated people will still contract COVID, and the more people that get vaccinated, the higher the gross number of those contracting COVID will be vaccinated.

It's epidemiology 101 to see that while the majority of COVID cases are fully-vaccinated, almost half of the new cases are from unvaccinated people, despite being a small fragment of the population.
Yes I do realize that but more of the unvaccinated are getting tested due to workplace requirements, so unless you can prove the ratio of vax/unvax getting tested it’s hard to back up your claim. Some unvaccinated are getting tested 2-3 times a week so they can keep their jobs.

Let’s Go Brandon
newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

CYERCaptainPooping wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:13 am So what did airlines and other employers fire people for not getting vaccinated? Was it worth it? Look at all these vaccinated people spreading Covid.

It began with a lie, a lie like the mask. You must wear a mask to protect other people. You must get vax to protect other people. Yet it’s all horse shit.

Will they double down and mandate boosters or will they let these people come back now. Doesn’t seem like a logical policy. That’s a big punishment considering the numbers are showing us the vaccinated are killing it with the spreading they are doing.
Are you purposefully twisting the narrative or just ignoring what's going on? This is an evolving event, even though omicron is more likely to infect you the same fact has been true all along, VACCINATED PEOPLE ARE LESS LIKELY TO END UP IN THE HOSPITAL! If you get your jab you're less likely to take up a spot that someone else actually needed

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

Inverted2 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:34 am
CYERCaptainPooping wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:11 am The government has a dilemma. They need to convince the unvaccinated that the vaccines work in order for them to get their first two doses, whilst at the same time convince the vaccinated that the vaccine doesn’t work so they will get their booster.
It’s becoming comical listening the “experts” say the vaccine doesn’t give much protection against the Omi, but get your booster shots as soon as you can. Most of the cases now are in the fully vaccinated so maybe they are the new “unwashed” who are actually causing most of the spread.
See what I said above, you're MUCH LESS LIKELY TO END UP SEVERELY ILL OR IN HOSPITAL if you get your jab

Return to “Covid”