COVID is ALL BUT OVER.

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.
2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: COVID is ALL BUT OVER.

Post by 2R »

The facts do not support the stated premise.

Would you like the five minute argument or the full half hour ?
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

The only people who have any credibility about when this pandemic will be over(or generally over) are those who say they don't know when it will be over.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:43 am I think what he means is that the outcome is now inevitable. In much the same way as the outcome of WW2 was inevitable after the Normandy beachheads were established. Sure, the fighting carried in for a time and many more lives were lost, but the smart brains turned their attention to the shape of post war Europe and the fight against communism became paramount, fascism already being in its death throes.
Hopefully.

Then, Bigger issues will take over….

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/19/10655755 ... ns-omicron

U.S. could see 1 million cases per day, warns departing NIH director Francis Collins

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/south-afric ... YPLS-kLiLo
(Bloomberg) --
South Africa’s hospital admission rate as a percentage of new Covid-19 cases identified fell 91% in the second week of the current infection wave driven by the omicron variant, compared with the same week of the third wave.

Only 1.7% of identified Covid-19 infections in the second week of the fourth wave of infections were admitted to the hospital, compared with 19% in the same week of the third wave, which was driven by delta, South African Health Minister Joe Phaahla said.
Still, new cases in that week of the current wave, driven by the omicron variant, were about 20,000 a day, compared with 4,400 in the same week of the third wave, he said on an online press conference on Friday.
Infections in Gauteng, where South Africa first identified the omicron variant, may have peaked, he said. Infections in North West province may also be peaking, data presented at the press conference showed.
©2021 Bloomberg L.P.
It is still very early but this sounds like good news in a way.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

LONG AC at 20 bucks. Putting down on what I write.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

pelmet wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:16 am The only people who have any credibility about when this pandemic will be over(or generally over) are those who say they don't know when it will be over.
Reiterating today, and my money is firmly on that this is (all but) over.

CYERCaptainPooping
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CYERCaptainPooping »

I’m still holding on to two more weeks today, and two more weeks tomorrow… we need something more catchy… how about a fortnight… a fartnight… captainpoopyhead says if we all wear a mask Covid will be over in a fartnight.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Boeing and Airbus are making formal requests to slow down commissioning of the 5G networks near airports . Might increase the real estate value of property near airports . Come home to your house near the airport , relax and take off your tin foil hat in the 5G free zones :)

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:19 am LONG AC at 20 bucks. Putting down on what I write.
22, now. Profoundly mispriced. 26 is a chip shot.

Energy, too, across the board.

Any of you who make money, I won't say no to some J class passes.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:47 am
rookiepilot wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:19 am LONG AC at 20 bucks. Putting down on what I write.

Enbridge, Suncor, Pembina, Imperial Oil. Had 'em for a while. All bought or added to this year. Mostly for dividends to pay instalments but the capital gain is nice. If the price goes down, the dividends keep rolling in.

BCE too.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

pelmet wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:20 pm

Enbridge, Suncor, Pembina, Imperial Oil. Had 'em for a while. All bought or added to this year. Mostly for dividends to pay instalments but the capital gain is nice. If the price goes down, the dividends keep rolling in.

BCE too.
Imperial Oil? POS company. Enbridge, OK. Suncor fine for heavy oil. Don’t know Pembina.

I have others.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:42 pm
pelmet wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:20 pm

BCE too.
Imperial Oil? POS company. Enbridge, OK. Suncor fine for heavy oil. Don’t know Pembina.

I have others.
So do I, but they are mostly managed by the 'experts'. Pembina is like Enbridge but with better geographic positioning of pipelines(or so I am told).
I bought that one at 37 on the recent dip, good dividend.

Littlefish
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Littlefish »

How much are you putting down, I'll match.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Littlefish wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:01 pm
How much are you putting down, I'll match.
I don’t understand the post. Invest to your comfort and risk tolerance. Everyones is different.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

2R wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:30 am Boeing and Airbus are making formal requests to slow down commissioning of the 5G networks near airports . Might increase the real estate value of property near airports . Come home to your house near the airport , relax and take off your tin foil hat in the 5G free zones :)
Considering 5G is said to cause interference with radio altimeters, I am all for 5G service being held back several miles from all airports until further studies and/or fixes have been performed.

I would hate to be conducting a CAT II or III ILS and have erroneous rad-alt readings.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

pelmet wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:53 pm
So do I, but they are mostly managed by the 'experts'.
What is an expert? If they are that good picking stocks, why do they bother with you (or anyone else) as a paying client?

If they aren't that good, what makes them an expert? Some shit letters after their name? They write a newsletter that sounds good?

What makes a pilot an "expert"? The fact they hold a CPL?

Let me tell you something.

Good traders trade. Good letter writers, (or advisors) -- write letters.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:24 am
What is an expert? If they are that good picking stocks, why do they bother with you (or anyone else) as a paying client?

If they aren't that good, what makes them an expert? Some shit letters after their name? They write a newsletter that sounds good?

You will notice that I put the term experts in italics. There was a reason for that.

That being said, the 'experts' I deal with have given reasonable returns, but as the saying goes, 'a rising tide lifts all boats'. And the stock market has done plenty of overall rising over the years. Still, there is the convenience of having a diversified portfolio and some spectacular gains on the American market.....and the usual, occasional dogs. Some have recovered nicely while some others were quietly sold off.

I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed that my 'experts' didn't see the covid cliff coming. It was obvious in retrospect, unlike the previous two deep dives. At least it should have been obvious for the 'experts' whose lives revolve around such stuff. Of course, they will say they h=just held on for the long term, that capital gains were avoided, and that I am ahead now compared to where I was. But Feb 2020 would have been a great time to trim some real gainers and then dive back in a month later.

I did jump in with some cash on XIU after the first of the big drops which did work out well(too early overall though) but I had relatively little cash to invest.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

pelmet wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:42 am

You will notice that I put the term experts in italics. There was a reason for that.

That being said, the 'experts' I deal with have given reasonable returns, but as the saying goes, 'a rising tide lifts all boats'. And the stock market has done plenty of overall rising over the years. Still, there is the convenience of having a diversified portfolio and some spectacular gains on the American market.....and the usual, occasional dogs. Some have recovered nicely while some others were quietly sold off.

I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed that my 'experts' didn't see the covid cliff coming. It was obvious in retrospect, unlike the previous two deep dives. At least it should have been obvious for the 'experts' whose lives revolve around such stuff. Of course, they will say they h=just held on for the long term, that capital gains were avoided, and that I am ahead now compared to where I was. But Feb 2020 would have been a great time to trim some real gainers and then dive back in a month later.
Doesn't answer the question.

Why would anyone really good sell their knowledge for $9.95, or $39.95, a month on a newsletter, or for 1% of AUM as a fee, per year?

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:47 am
pelmet wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:42 am

Doesn't answer the question.

Why would anyone really good sell their knowledge for $9.95, or $39.95, a month on a newsletter, or for 1% of AUM as a fee, per year?
In some areas, there are 'really good' ones that give out their advice for free;) Investing may not fit that pattern.

Return to “Covid”