Keewatin overrun in Sanikiluaq, Nunavut

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

sunfm
Rank 1
Rank 1

Keewatin overrun in Sanikiluaq, Nunavut

Post by sunfm »

---------- ADS -----------

200Above
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Keewatin overrun in Sanikiluaq, Nunavut

Post by 200Above »

I find this ironic.

They won't hire individuals who have failed a PPC or been in an accident.

Failing a PPC is a humbling experience. More importantly, it's also a great (but unfortunate) way to learn.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

Glad everyone's okay.

I flew into YSK many times and it was my least favorite airport. The runway is awful (even by northern standards) and it's not positioned properly given the predominant winds. God I hated flying there for those reasons.

PilotZum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PilotZum »

That's some tough flying out there in these conditions. I'm glad everybody is ok.

EIC got plenty of money to go buy another plane.

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

Looks like another lovely day on the Belcher Islands...
RWY is 09/27 with LPV minimums of 250' and 1 sm.

Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (183.14 KiB) Viewed 5569 times
PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

22 knot direct crosswind, onto what was usually always an icy runway. Havent been to Sani in years, but it was never fun.

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:50 am 22 knot direct crosswind, onto what was usually always an icy runway.
If slippery enough, an increasingly high crosswind cornering force (despite heavier being good for grip there) starts to compromise av-tire traction even before/as needed braking must be applied for slowing/stopping.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

pdw wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:00 am
PostmasterGeneral wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:50 am 22 knot direct crosswind, onto what was usually always an icy runway.
If slippery enough, an increasingly high crosswind cornering force (despite heavier being good for grip there) starts to compromise av-tire traction even before/as needed braking must be applied for slowing/stopping.
Holy @#$!, braking must be applied for slowing/stopping! Why didn’t anyone tell me, I’ve been using the ziggy/zaggy method for so long, this maneuvering characteristic isn’t available on all av types, so I was wondering what others did, now I know!
As for the cornering force, it works on the zaggy, not so much for the ziggy, unless, well that might be too complicated to explain, pdw, your thoughts?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Ick.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:50 am 22 knot direct crosswind, onto what was usually always an icy runway. Havent been to Sani in years, but it was never fun.
Most of the Arctic airports seemed to be had packed/compacted snow throughout the winter which I found to have reasonably good friction(until the sun got at it in the spring). I have only been to Saniqiluaq a few times, mostly in the summer(with pretty strong winds). Does it tend to be icier than other northern airports?

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

It’s a 3800’ runway in a king air you shouldn’t need much if any braking

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

Been to Sani many times in a Merlin 2A and King Air 200. I never had the feeling that I did not want to go in adverse weather but it was going to be challenging. Good memories and a number of amazing sani-stone carvings from that place.

Is the runway still a bowl?

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

pelmet wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:55 pm
PostmasterGeneral wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:50 am 22 knot direct crosswind, onto what was usually always an icy runway. Havent been to Sani in years, but it was never fun.
Most of the Arctic airports seemed to be had packed/compacted snow throughout the winter which I found to have reasonably good friction(until the sun got at it in the spring). I have only been to Saniqiluaq a few times, mostly in the summer(with pretty strong winds). Does it tend to be icier than other northern airports?
The answer to that one is I guess, "it depends." All of those strips are gravel, so if it's plowed deep, there's good traction to be had, but if it's been hard packed with snow, and had drifts across it for weeks, that's another story. I seem to remember that Sani was always hammered by the wind, it's quite exposed. The article calls this an overrun, but was it that or skidding off the side? If it was off the end, could be something as simple as floating way too long on touchdown.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:30 am
Ick.
I revise my previous statement. I was looking at the wrong METAR. Looks like it was closer to 40-42 sustained with a 47 knot gust, almost directly across the runway, in 1/8 mile vis. :shock:

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:13 am
rookiepilot wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:30 am
Ick.
I revise my previous statement. I was looking at the wrong METAR. Looks like it was closer to 40-42 sustained with a 47 knot gust, almost directly across the runway, in 1/8 mile vis. :shock:
:shock: !

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:10 am
pelmet wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:55 pm
The answer to that one is I guess, "it depends." All of those strips are gravel, so if it's plowed deep, there's good traction to be had, but if it's been hard packed with snow, and had drifts across it for weeks, that's another story. I seem to remember that Sani was always hammered by the wind, it's quite exposed.
Drifts across it for weeks? Or do you mean conditions conducive to drifting snow for weeks. I do remember the one time I went there in the winter that it seemed like the houses were pretty snowed in(or drifted over) but it was night time.

roscoe
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by roscoe »

First time into the Belchers, February 1964, crosswind was not a problem, there were miles of "runway" to be had. Photo is not at the Belcher Island post, but you get the idea. HBC DC3 CF=-ETE.

CF-ETE0036.jpg
CF-ETE0036.jpg (266.89 KiB) Viewed 3947 times

If you don't know,ASK!
"Do or do not..there is no try"
Dias
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dias »

Landing on ice in a crosswind is pretty simple, you just crab the whole way down the runway. Stopping though can be a problem if you are relaying on tire traction to slow down. Luckily most of the aircraft I flew up north could stop easily with only propeller and aerodynamic forces so tire traction was not required. If you're airplane can't do that you better be sure there is enough traction to stop.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

**** wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:55 pm Landing on ice in a crosswind is pretty simple, you just crab the whole way down the runway. Stopping though can be a problem if you are relaying on tire traction to slow down. Luckily most of the aircraft I flew up north could stop easily with only propeller and aerodynamic forces so tire traction was not required. If you're airplane can't do that you better be sure there is enough traction to stop.
In a 47 knot crosswind?

Its been many years since I've flown a King Air 200, but I seem to remember them having a pretty good tendency to weather vane with that big tail.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

Looks like the position is open now, just don't fail that PPC.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”