Instrument Rating expiry?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

floatlackey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Instrument Rating expiry?

Post by floatlackey »

I'm having a really hard time finding the required information in the CARs regarding this. I really hate their website with a passion.

From my understanding, an Instrument Rating doesn't "expire" persay, yeah?

I did a Group 1 Multi-IFR back in November 2017 and looking to get current again.

Having not flown IFR since completing this endorsement, if I were get a job needing me to go to training to be an FO on a Beech or King Air or go to Cessna Flight Safety or whatever, and in doing so would it make my Instrument Rating current again, or do I need to do something else with Transport Canada, like re-write the INRAT exam or do a flight test with a TC examiner?

I feel really bad taking up forum space with this question but man the CARs are just a nightmare.
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Instrument Rating expiry?

Post by Bede »

Do a PPC, IPC or your 6-6-6. If I recall, the 6-6-6 only keeps you current. If you're expired for that you need an IPC or PPC. I could be wrong on that point though. (Sorry, the ref- 401.48 in the Instrument Rating Study and Reference Guide has been reserved so not sure what the current reference is.)

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

No INRAT required. You need an IPC. 401.05(3)

Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blowin' In The Wind »

floatlackey wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:49 pm I'm having a really hard time finding the required information in the CARs regarding this. I really hate their website with a passion.

From my understanding, an Instrument Rating doesn't "expire" persay, yeah?

I did a Group 1 Multi-IFR back in November 2017 and looking to get current again.

Having not flown IFR since completing this endorsement, if I were get a job needing me to go to training to be an FO on a Beech or King Air or go to Cessna Flight Safety or whatever, and in doing so would it make my Instrument Rating current again, or do I need to do something else with Transport Canada, like re-write the INRAT exam or do a flight test with a TC examiner?

I feel really bad taking up forum space with this question but man the CARs are just a nightmare.
A PPC will renew your instrument rating, but it’ll be hard to get hired for that PPC in the first place without it. IPC can be done in a sim.

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

INRAT is good for life. So no worries there. A little review cause it makes sense when explained from the start. You pass your group 1 ride back in 2017. Once you hit 12 months from the RIDE DATE (not the first of the following month) 6-6-6 kicks in. That means the second you hit 12 months post ride you need 6 hours of IFR/Hood time, 6 min approaches in the past 6 months. You can do this up until 24 months from your flight test, at this point you need an IPC/PPC. You can even do it in a red bird sim, doesn't have to be a twin airplane. Edit: Yes the IPC in the sim will be with a TC examiner, its not just with the instructor etc.

You just keep repeating this process for life, until you get into a 704/05 op where you never worry about it cause your in the sim every 6 - 12 months anyway. In my case I'm a little under 1 month since being current, ( Group 1 ride was Dec 6 2019) which is fine cause I just got hired at a place where the PPC will take care of this for me. No point paying to do it myself for now.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

780Pilot wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:09 am Once you hit 12 months from the RIDE DATE (not the first of the following month) 6-6-6 kicks in. That means the second you hit 12 months post ride you need 6 hours of IFR/Hood time, 6 min approaches in the past 6 months.
CARS 401.05(3.1) does not agree with you:

(3.1) No holder of a Canadian pilot licence endorsed with an instrument rating or to which is attached instrument rating privileges shall exercise the privileges of the instrument rating unless, following the first day of the 13th month after the completion date of a test referred to in subsection (3) and within six months before the flight, the holder has

(a) acquired six hours of instrument time; and

(b) completed six instrument approaches in an aircraft in actual or simulated instrument meteorological conditions, or in a Level B, C or D simulator or an approved flight training device configured for the same category as the aircraft

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

Ah, well there ya go. I was getting confused with the 24 months is based off the flight test day. Same point and the rest still applies. Thx Aviatard.

Aviator_007
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aviator_007 »

What if you haven't done your INRAT but your group 1 flight test. How long is the flight test valid for before you have to redo it?

ruffdeezy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ruffdeezy »

Aviator_007 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:52 pm What if you haven't done your INRAT but your group 1 flight test. How long is the flight test valid for before you have to redo it?
1 year

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

Aviator_007 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:52 pm What if you haven't done your INRAT but your group 1 flight test. How long is the flight test valid for before you have to redo it?
Flight tests are valid for 1 year for licensing purposes however you cannot do the flight test unless you have done the INRAT in the previous 24 months.

Return to “Flight Training”