Caravan hits a paraglider at 5000'

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Prodriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Caravan hits a paraglider at 5000'

Post by Prodriver »

Time for mandatory transponder on any AC?

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2021/12/c ... fatal.html
---------- ADS -----------

"I need a time machine"
linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Caravan hits a paraglider at 5000'

Post by linecrew »

My first thoughts were, is it normal to be flying a powered parachute to be way up at around 5000 feet?! You usually see them way down low. I'd be super paranoid about getting into this exact situation at that altitude.

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

Do paragliders even have an altimeter?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Prodriver wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:52 am Time for mandatory transponder on any AC?

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2021/12/c ... fatal.html
Where are you going to get power for a transponder from, where are you going to locate a static port, and how are you going to calibrate the altimetric system IAW CAR Standard 571 Apppendix B? Where should the antenna be? And do you have a ground plane for it?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Prodriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Prodriver »

If they can put ADSB in a nav light, I am sure someone has a solution to this, I thought there is a drone transponder in use. They could possible power it with a solar panel or a disposable battery?

Last edited by Prodriver on Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I need a time machine"
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Prodriver wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:48 am If they can put ADSB in a nav light, I am sure someone there is a solution to this, I thought there is a micro drone transponder out. Use a solar panel or a disposable battery?
This was in the states but in Canada I’m pretty sure under 12 500lbs you don’t need TCAS so all the transponders in the world won’t help

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Just a regular parachute but wow.

Let’s Go Brandon
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Prodriver wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:48 am If they can put ADSB in a nav light, I am sure someone there is a solution to this, I thought there is a micro drone transponder out. Use a solar panel or a disposable battery?
Lovely ideas, but when you suggest mandating something you ought to know for sure the technology is mature, available, affordable, accurate, achieves the goal you intend and has no (or limited) negative unintended consequences.

There’s also usually a decade or two, or more, of optional adoption for new tech before it becomes mandatory.

I don’t think “I though there is..” and “…a disposable battery?” comes close. I suggest some more homework before you suggest laws.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

Looks like just outside the boundary of Houston radar by a mile and both going same direction at odd alt (news info says both westbound). Then both operators somewhat at a loss to watch for each other. Noisy Paraglider hit from behind, it’s pilot not seeing or hearing nor expecting. The 208 still on radar at a proximity where ATC would still see any other aircraft (but not a parachute).

Prodriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Prodriver »

photofly wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:32 am
Lovely ideas, but when you suggest mandating something you ought to know for sure the technology is mature, available, affordable, accurate, achieves the goal you intend and has no (or limited) negative unintended consequences.

There’s also usually a decade or two, or more, of optional adoption for new tech before it becomes mandatory.

I don’t think “I though there is..” and “…a disposable battery?” comes close. I suggest some more homework before you suggest laws.
I'm a Canadian whom likes to think that the Government will protect my ass and help me protect my career with endless miles of red tape and senseless regulations. Come on Comrades, it's Canada, what's wrong with one more CAR's rule. Safety first.

"I need a time machine"
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Prodriver wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:55 pm
photofly wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:32 am

I'm a Canadian whom likes to think that the Government will protect my ass and help me protect my career with endless miles of red tape and senseless regulations. Come on Comrades, it's Canada, what's wrong with one more CAR's rule. Safety first.
EDIT: I posted a non-serious comment about new regulations, but remembering that two people died in the accident that prompted this thread, I changed my mind.

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

While it as a tragic accident and condolences to the families of the two pilots, does one accident warrant the implementation of TCAS/ADS-B or other electronics on aircraft? This accident could have easily been two certified aircraft flying with basic instruments and running NORDO.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

broken_slinky wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:39 am While it as a tragic accident and condolences to the families of the two pilots, does one accident warrant the implementation of TCAS/ADS-B or other electronics on aircraft?
No; but some people will use it as a driver for such.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

photofly wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:40 am
broken_slinky wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:39 am While it as a tragic accident and condolences to the families of the two pilots, does one accident warrant the implementation of TCAS/ADS-B or other electronics on aircraft?
Unfortunately, we see this sort of thing with safety boards. They will have a mindset that more and more must be spent to prevent the rare event which allows them to trumpet what has been accomplished while pushing what is a calculated risk further and further away from the ordinary person in terms of affordability.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

pelmet wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:16 pm
photofly wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:40 am
Unfortunately, we see this sort of thing with safety boards. They will have a mindset that more and more must be spent to prevent the rare event which allows them to trumpet what has been accomplished while pushing what is a calculated risk further and further away from the ordinary person in terms of affordability.
LIke a professional IFR-rated crew in an IFR-equipped helicopter who can't maintain control of their aircraft at night, and night VFR rules. Cough cough.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

photofly wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:58 pm Where are you going to get power for a transponder from, where are you going to locate a static port, and how are you going to calibrate the altimetric system IAW CAR Standard 571 Apppendix B? Where should the antenna be? And do you have a ground plane for it?
Don't be ridiculous... uAvionix is making transponders for drones. Fitting something that small, that clearly runs off a battery, into a powered parachute harness should be trivial. Calibrate it the same way you calibrate any of them, on a bench in a shop. Or remove the antiquated repeat calibration requirement, which is hardly even necessary anymore with the latest technology.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”