Trevor Jacob "staged" plane crash

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tango308
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Trevor Jacob "staged" plane crash

Post by tango308 »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:02 pm Look at 5:09 (in the video). There is a road there that he could have landed on. To quote Vincent from the movie SNATCH: "You could land a jumbo f*cking jet in there".
Don't think that's a road but rather a (dry?) riverbed. Regardless, I agree with you that's probably a good place to put the a/c.
---------- ADS -----------

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

tango308 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:10 pm
RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:02 pm Look at 5:09 (in the video). There is a road there that he could have landed on. To quote Vincent from the movie SNATCH: "You could land a jumbo f*cking jet in there".
Don't think that's a road but rather a (dry?) riverbed. Regardless, I agree with you that's probably a good place to put the a/c.
Yeah. You're correct. Hard to see from the video. None the less, a decent landing spot for a forced landing... Agreed!

Flight94
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flight94 »

Regardless of his motives, he is getting crushed in all the forums/FB groups/meme pages etc. He's an idiot, obviously, and his reputation (as a pilot) is ruined.

As a social media scumbag, maybe all the negative attention is what he wanted, because my brain cannot fathom how he could possibly expect people to believe anything about that video.

I regret adding to the view count.

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

I have no idea who the dude is, so I was looking for previous flying videos. No sign of wearing a parachute on those videos…

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Looked like a decent airplane before he killed it.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

He popped on my radar screen back in the summer when I saw a tribute to his buddy Johnny Strange. I met Johnny on a skydiving trip to California when I was building experience to start wingsuiting. I saw this good looking young kid in a wingsuit and was told he had climbed the 7 tallest mountains. He was an extraordinary guy. Trevor's video tribute was touching, and I was moved by his other videos.

My FO showed this latest video to me and I felt it was a stunt. If so, that's too bad. He has done a lot of cool things in life. He doesn’t need to be an idiot.

Last edited by ALPApolicy on Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Purposely ran the tanks dry to not cause a wildfire in the California bush?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

This goof does not deserve the air time for this, he deserves to feel truly stupid.

The absolute only reason that this ridiculously juvenile behavior should be noticed is so that every other pilot, or indeed operator of any equipment can be reminded that people built and cared for equipment, and many of us value that. If you won't treat a piece of equipment with the care and respect that you would afford the people who made it, and took care of it (for many decades, in this case), then don't touch it! :x

If you can afford to buy and then waste a piece of equipment, you not only don't deserve it, you don't deserve any respect. If you operate someone else's equipment, treat it as though you respect them. If you don't understand, than either build your own plane, or take complete care of one for a few decades, and you'll begin to get the message.

No one says you have to like airplanes, or musical instruments, museum art, or anything else that someone cared enough to make. But if you can't respect it, leave it in peace out of respect for those who can!

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Assuming this guy doesn’t fly for a living and he already has enough subscribers and viewing hours on other videos to be monetized with YouTube, I’m not sure he cares what any of us think. Five cents or more per ad (and an ad every four minutes now) times however many views this video gets as it makes its nonstop laps around the forums and social media is going to add up. I don’t really want to open the video again to do the math on that.

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

I hope the feds come down hard on him to set an example for any other "influencers" <I truly *hate* that word> from doing similar stupid/dangerous stunts for attention.

LifeAt90Kts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LifeAt90Kts »

People go their entire careers doing everything in their power trying *not* to bend an airplane, and this idiot goes out and does it for attention. Disgusting.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

linecrew wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:01 am I hope the feds come down hard on him to set an example for any other "influencers" <I truly *hate* that word> from doing similar stupid/dangerous stunts for attention.
I hope so too. He should be charged with (forgive me for not knowing the actual legal terms):

1. Gross negligence.
2. Disregard for public safety
3. Dangerous operation of an aircraft
4. Lying to investigators (authorities)
5. Fraudulent insurance claim (I'd imagine he claimed the money for that plane)
6. Others... I'm sure there are...

This kind of sh*t warrants a number of years in prison, substantial fines and of course loss of any aeronautical privileges FOR LIFE.

YouTube should also suspend his account.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Steady.

How do you feel about people who crash cars and trucks to make videos and movies? Any idea how many vehicles get intentionally wrecked, crashed, destroyed, detonated for each new Bond movie?

Haven’t you enjoyed Top Gear flinging old cars and caravans down mountainsides and into quarries?

Never watched Mythbusters destroy vehicles?

What’s the difference? Why all the hate just because it had wings?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

photofly wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:14 am Steady.

How do you feel about people who crash cars and trucks to make videos and movies? Any idea how many vehicles get intentionally wrecked, crashed, destroyed, detonated for each new Bond movie?

Haven’t you enjoyed Top Gear flinging old cars and caravans down mountainsides and into quarries?

Incomparable.

Two words "Controlled environments", done under supervision and by professionals. I really doubt Clarkson, May and Hammond went to the insurance company to claim the Citroen they flung off the trebuchet.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Very sad if this was truly staged. I had never heard of him until this thread, I do not support these type of sensationalism youtubers. Just read the Jalopnik article, the whole thing does seem fishy.

What a waste of a vintage aircraft. Seems he had plenty of height to spend a few more minutes looking for a landing site. Funny no cockpit video of the engine dying.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

Noticed at roughly 2:45 into the video that his door is open. Even before the engine dies.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:22 am
photofly wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:14 am Steady.

Incomparable.
Uh... but you're about to compare, so, no, not incomparable, apparently.
Two words "Controlled environments", done under supervision and by professionals. I really doubt Clarkson, May and Hammond went to the insurance company to claim the Citroen they flung off the trebuchet.
So having someone watch, and getting paid for it, makes it that much different? LIke prison for one, and appplause for the other? Really?
Where does it say anything about an insurance claim? What am I missing?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

photofly wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:16 am
So having someone watch, and getting paid for it, makes it that much different? LIke prison for one, and appplause for the other? Really?
Where does it say anything about an insurance claim? What am I missing?
You're missing that TV/Film/etc. crashes are done with the highest possible level of safety for those involved and on the ground. They would never set a plane free to ghost-ride into the ground uncontrolled. They'd put remote controls on it so they could direct it to an area known to be cleared of anyone who might be injured by it. This yutz just set it free and hoped for the best because he was in a remote area.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Guess the remote control in this was very effective:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbgYB-d ... atsargent1

Or this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm5YPhb ... =Discovery

Seems to me this yutz is a legitimate target of criticism, but "This kind of sh*t warrants a number of years in prison, substantial fines and of course loss of any aeronautical privileges FOR LIFE." seems a little strong.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Some machines have to be subject to legitimate testing (I've done it a few times myself). In that case, first, and foremost, there is a test objective, and a test plan. Yes, sometimes it does result in some destruction, it's a balance of benefit. Mythbusters is on the lower threshold of legitimate testing, but they do start with an objective, and they have a form of a test plan, so I accept it.

I'm not really keen on seeing cars and trucks destroyed for no good reason either, so the fact that this goof sacrificed an airplane is only very slightly more offensive to me that doing it to anything someone built with care.

I recall a friend years ago telling me about her brother in England being bought a Lamborghini as a birthday present. He and another brother took it for a spin around the block, and wrecked it. Their next action was to go and buy another one. I think the story was intended to impress me with the families disposable income. Instead, as I told my friend, it just disappointed me as to how such a quality, hand crafted product could be wasted. I bet that if the craftsman at Lamborghini knew about this waste of one of their cars, they would have denied the sale of the replacement.

If you want to show respect for a person, a part of that is respecting what they do - which might be build and/or maintain a machine, so you may use it.

Return to “General Comments”