Mobile phone plans - (for Canadian pilots layovers in US)

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Mobile phone plans - (for Canadian pilots layovers in US)

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

Hey,

I can count on 10 fingers (or less) how many times I've had a layover in the US in my flying career. That will soon change and I'm wondering what the best way to go about having a mobile phone there, without paying insane roaming charges (Canadian cell phone bills are already absolutely INSANE).

Do you have a plan from a Canadian provider that gives you "unlimited" roaming? or did you get a new phone / sim card with a US number and data plan?

I know I can use the WiFi in hotels and restaurants, but that's a bit inconvenient. I'll be spending 80% - 90% of my layovers in the US (from the looks of it).

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

mattas350
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Mobile phone plans - (for Canadian pilots layovers in US)

Post by mattas350 »

All the Canadian cell providers have some options for this, some of them have to be "added" to your existing plan, usually as a roaming package option- I've seen plans where roaming in the US/international its an extra $5 or $10 a day, then there is other plans where it Canada/US combined and no extra fee to be using the plan in the states, seen these options with Bell/Telus/Rogers and some of the smaller providers.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I think rogers, bell and telus offer unlimited us plans. I think it's about a 15 cad/month charge extra.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Just get a US cellphone. It’s a pain in the dick giving everyone your new number, but it’s just a one time thing. You can get a US phone with a Canada plan for about $45/mo less than a Canadian phone with a US plan. I have a Pennsylvania number, and I find it keeps the telemarketers at bay too.

mijbil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mijbil »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:09 pm Just get a US cellphone. It’s a pain in the dick giving everyone your new number, but it’s just a one time thing. You can get a US phone with a Canada plan for about $45/mo less than a Canadian phone with a US plan. I have a Pennsylvania number, and I find it keeps the telemarketers at bay too.
Does it keep crew sked at bay as well? :smt040

Which US company would you recommend? Pity we can't be like Europe on this continent IMO.Cheap and great coverage over their in my experience.

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

There is some good BYOD retention plans out there for the legacy Canadian carriers.

I’ve heard very recently 65$ for 15 go unlimited can-usd.

Carriers are agressive lately, especially with winback offers. If you can afford wasting a few hours of your precious time, port yourself out of your legacy carrier and wait for the winback email. I know for a fact that Telus has a winback can-usd (YMMV).

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

That's awesome. Thanks everyone for the replies. Great info. I'll look at various options. I'd love to go to a US carrier, just so I don't have to pay Canadian telcom giants a penny. (I pay $125 a month for internet... ******* insane!), but then my friends will pay an arm and a leg to call me on my US number. Again Canadian companies.... **** them!

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

Looks like Telus has CAN/US plan with 20 gig unlimited talk/text at the moment when you byod. Not bad relatively.

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

I’m with a U.S. carrier. I pay $100 USD a month including tax for 4 lines (myself, wife and two kids) That’s for unlimited data, calls and texts anywhere in North America.

I know that’s not helpful information 😂😂😂 but the price difference is crazy.

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

Telus has good deals with AC and Jazz. I pay 65$/mo + 15 for the phone on a 2 years plan.

Unlimited Can/US. 10 go 5g speed data then unlimited at 4g speed. My plan is 18 months old too so I'm sure you can get 15 or 20gb for the same price right now

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Bell, Rogers, and Telus all seem to be 80-90$ right now for their cheapest Can-US plans. WJ gets Telus deals, sounds above like AC/Jazz do as well. I’ve seen as low as 65 for the BYOD cheapest plan, but it’s not always offered.

How do you get a US phone and plan without a US address?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Current Rogers corporate offer is crap. 30% off single line only. You can still add lines using Family Plan.

BYOP Telus deal is $50/20GB. I assume that a US add-on would be available ($15?)

Surprising that there were no strong promo deals in the lead up to Xmas.

We are all hostages up here when it comes to cell deals.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

mijbil wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:37 pm Pity we can't be like Europe on this continent IMO.Cheap and great coverage over their in my experience.
You are correct, Europe is far far better than Canada (not just in mobile, sorry, "cellphone" costs...I digress! :mrgreen: )

But T-Mobile does have plans that have unlimited calling, texting, data for all North America (Canada, US, Mexico). If you can get on someone's corporate plan it's really cheap. Who cares about the US number? Crew Sked can call you on whatever number, they don't care. And for personal calls/texts doesn't everyone use something data-based now anyway? WhatsApp, FaceTime, Telegram, Signal, Skype, many others.

Canadian telecoms are the biggest ripoff in the world. Avoid at all costs.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
PilotZum
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PilotZum »

Check out Fonus mobile. It's basically an AT&T reseller with an attached VOIP service to it. You can port your Canadian number to it and use their VOIP app.

30 USD a month for 25GB then reduced speed in USD/CAN/MEX.

Data works wonders besides tethering (seems like depending on your phone it still works), it will choose the strongest signal carrier in your area, for me, it jumps in between Rogers and Bell.

The VOIP works alright, you will never miss a call. Sometimes the call has a delay on it or keeps cutting off, but that used to happen to me on the big carriers too. On the Upside, people can still call you if you are outside North America as long as you are on WIFI.

Terry_Flaps
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Terry_Flaps »

Depending where you live Shaw has a deal if you have their internet for a Canada/US/Mexico for $35.

25GB Fast LTE Data YYZ, YVR, YYJ, YYC, YEG
2GB LTE Data (Nationwide network, or in the U.S. & Mexico) YQR, YQT, etc
Unlimited Canada-wide, U.S. & Mexico Calling + Global Text

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”