Oh, air canada

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RB211
Rank 5
Rank 5

Oh, air canada

Post by RB211 »

Seems it isn’t just WJ that has let customer service go!

Yesterday my daughter was to fly SEA-YVR on Air Canada and after delaying several times, the flight was cancelled all together. Something to do with Covid which I am guessing may be a lack of crew. That’s fair enough and understandable during these times.

The part that is not acceptable is abandoning the passengers after the cancellation. It was last flight of the day so nothing until 0600 the next morning. The agents got the bags back and rebooked for the morning flight. Then the pax are told an email will be sent with details for accommodation etc. The agents go home and no email ever shows up!!

I have never worked in the reservation/customer service side of an airline but, am I wrong to expect a higher duty of care from AC? I always thought if the airline cancels your flight they are responsible to look after you, no?
---------- ADS -----------

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Oh, air canada

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

She could have just rented a car, driven to Vancouver and flown home. Or taken Alaska. (3x daily to YYC I believe) or Delta.

Littlefish
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Littlefish »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:30 am She could have just rented a car, driven to Vancouver and flown home. Or taken Alaska. (3x daily to YYC I believe) or Delta.
Who's gonna pay for that? Sounds like AC wouldn't.

Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

I have never worked in the reservation/customer service side of an airline but, am I wrong to expect a higher duty of care from AC? I always thought if the airline cancels your flight they are responsible to look after you, no?
I'm not certain but I think unless it's something that is the airlines fault (tech issue for example) then no they are not legally responsible for getting pax accommodation.

However from a customer service view point there was obviously a failure here.

RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RRJetPilot »

https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/today

Westjet Cancelled percentage: 18%

Air Canada Cancelled Percentage: 3%

Numbers speak for themselves. I know which I would take my chances with.

RB211
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RB211 »

As an update, she got home to Vancouver in the morning.

When she got back to the airport she found out 4 of the pax were accommodated because they had found the “right” person to talk to. Seems lack of crew should/does fall under the airlines control. At least for some pax.

We’ll be putting in a claim for the hotel. See how that works out 🤔🤷‍♂️

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Littlefish wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:40 pm
PostmasterGeneral wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:30 am She could have just rented a car, driven to Vancouver and flown home. Or taken Alaska. (3x daily to YYC I believe) or Delta.
Who cares? Worry about the compensation later. At least get yourself where you need to be.

Littlefish
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Littlefish »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:32 am
Littlefish wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:40 pm
Who cares? Worry about the compensation later. At least get yourself where you need to be.
Not everyone can afford to through money at problems like that though.

Return to “General Comments”