Encore interview request

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Encore interview request

Post by doiwannabeapilot »

I didn't sense any condescension.

Referring to them as Big Red is nothing new, not sure how long you've been with the company. Did it bother you 5 years ago when they refused to say AC. It's just a part of their mindset, it's not a strange concept.

Grooming, acting as a step in flight attendant, loading bags should probably bother you more. Next, pilots will help with servicing the lav. Nothing is wrong with these duties but the general rule of thought is those are duties that someone else can be employed to do. You are eventually taking employment from someone else if you do these duties all the time.

You do realize the company does not exist to serve you.
It does not revolve around you or your pilot dreams.
Yes the company sets the rules and you follow them.
Welcome to being an employee.
These are general principles about any job in any industry.

If you want to know how important the typical person is to the typical job.......put your finger in a glass of water.....pull it out....watch the spot where your finger was....
..you/they will be replaced that quickly.
And that's ok.

If you disagree with the company's strategy. Maybe get an MBA and go be an airline executive somewhere. Or start your own airline and you can make the rules.

Just fly the plane.

Try not to do the typical Q landing and keep the cabin temperature comfortable. There are paying passengers back there.

He called competition idiots. So?
He used a metaphor for market share. And?

Sounds like you got a lot of hurt feelings. Sorry.
I don't want them to care about my feelings. I want a profitable company and all that would come with that.

goingmissed wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:55 pm
Mac08 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:03 pm But as an Encore employee YYZ based hearing that all your flying is going out west when your life is in YYZ is not exactly the best feeling.
Absolutely. To add insult to injury, the way I interpreted the words of our new CEO is that AC has beat us in the east and the Flair and Lynx are a serious threat in the west. He refuses to name Air Canada by name, only referring to them as "Big Red", and had also called Flair and Lynx as "the idiots eating our lunch". I am having trouble remembering the exact wording, but the word "idiots" and the idea that they were eating a meal which represented our market share was the concept being portrayed.

It hurts to put your soul into a company that, with the flip of a switch, turns around and tells you how unimportant you are.

Our CEO stated that he knows that there are tensions between the employees and the company. He followed that with an analogy about going to therapy with your spouse and needing to look at yourself instead of blaming each other. He seems to forget that there is a power imbalance here and that we are not husband and wife, but instead employer and employee. The company sets the rules and we are expected to follow them.

To sum it up, my negative feelings come from the constant uncertainty I am experiencing and the now overt condescension from the top.

---------- ADS -----------

Roundel Randy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roundel Randy »

I have an interview coming up. Just wondering if anyone has any pointers for it. For anybody that recently got interviewed, how long was the wait to get an offer and to start ground school?

Apestogetherstrong
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Apestogetherstrong »

Roundel Randy wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:29 pm I have an interview coming up. Just wondering if anyone has any pointers for it. For anybody that recently got interviewed, how long was the wait to get an offer and to start ground school?
My condolences :(

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

Apestogetherstrong wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:41 pm
Roundel Randy wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:29 pm I have an interview coming up. Just wondering if anyone has any pointers for it. For anybody that recently got interviewed, how long was the wait to get an offer and to start ground school?
Does everyone here have to be a dickhead?

peakbagger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by peakbagger »

newlygrounded wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:20 pm
Apestogetherstrong wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:41 pm
Does everyone here have to be a dickhead?
Dude. It’s the internet. Relax 😂

pirep
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pirep »

Anyone know if there's an August GS?

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

I heard from a union guy that there are something like 500 WJ and encore guys resumes sitting at AC. If they hired them all they would shut WJ down in a month

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

rigpiggy wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:29 pm I heard from a union guy that there are something like 500 WJ and encore guys resumes sitting at AC. If they hired them all they would shut WJ down in a month
Except now WJ isn't competition for AC so they likely won't even care to. The latest WJ business plan is to compete with the bottom feeders. AC has free rein to capture the East and all business traffic. Unless you're very close to flow, Encore is a dead end now IMHO. It's no longer sustainable to staff it, and I predict will not exist/will be sold off before the Sunwing deal has gone through. That will also solve their PTA mess with this merger.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:13 pm
rigpiggy wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:29 pm I heard from a union guy that there are something like 500 WJ and encore guys resumes sitting at AC. If they hired them all they would shut WJ down in a month
Except now WJ isn't competition for AC so they likely won't even care to. The latest WJ business plan is to compete with the bottom feeders. AC has free rein to capture the East and all business traffic. Unless you're very close to flow, Encore is a dead end now IMHO. It's no longer sustainable to staff it, and I predict will not exist/will be sold off before the Sunwing deal has gone through. That will also solve their PTA mess with this merger.
The story I hear is that there is some consensus between the union and some management that the way to solve many of the issues plaguing Encore is to give it common employer status, much like Swoop.

I am still optimistic that things will get better in the near to medium term future.

FlyAlberta
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyAlberta »

pirep wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:19 am Anyone know if there's an August GS?

I’ve heard that Aug GS is for the un vaxxed recalls. If they’re still trying a class every 3 weeks then there should still be an OTS one. Not sure if every 3 weeks is still the case as there’s an apparent trainer shortage.

flyingpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyingpilot »

Anyone in the pool and waiting for a ground school date?

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

flyingpilot wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:41 am Anyone in the pool and waiting for a ground school date?
Best of luck to all of those who are looking to come.

Many of us are salty here, but that seems to be fairly common in the industry today. Come and take a step forward toward your goals, but always remember that the company is here for it's own benefit and will always do what's best for it before you. You are the only one who can continuously choose what is best for you and your career.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

In person or video interview?

flyingpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyingpilot »

Does anyone know if there are any ground schools scheduled for august and September?

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

FlyAlberta wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:00 pm
pirep wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:19 am Anyone know if there's an August GS?

I’ve heard that Aug GS is for the un vaxxed recalls. If they’re still trying a class every 3 weeks then there should still be an OTS one. Not sure if every 3 weeks is still the case as there’s an apparent trainer shortage.
I see their minimum hiring times are 250 TT! Has anyone gotten hired so low or are they looking closer to 500 TT or more?

Do they still have a YYZ pilot base ?

Thanks

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!
goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

flyingpilot wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:21 am Does anyone know if there are any ground schools scheduled for august and September?
Yes, there are and they are already filled.

With the number of pilots leaving and flowing, I believe that there there will be ground schools every three weeks until something changes in the industry.
ellinas wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:38 am I see their minimum hiring times are 250 TT! Has anyone gotten hired so low or are they looking closer to 500 TT or more?

Thanks
A couple of months ago they were hiring people with 2000+ hours. I don't think it has dropped quite that far yet.

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

goingmissed wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:16 am
flyingpilot wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:21 am Does anyone know if there are any ground schools scheduled for august and September?

With the number of pilots leaving and flowing, I believe that there there will be ground schools every three weeks until something changes in the industry.
ellinas wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:38 am I see their minimum hiring times are 250 TT! Has anyone gotten hired so low or are they looking closer to 500 TT or more?

Thanks
A couple of months ago they were hiring people with 2000+ hours. I don't think it has dropped quite that far yet.
Oh ok thanks, so they won’t be hiring any 500 hour guys anytime soon.

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!
flyingpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyingpilot »

goingmissed wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:16 am

Thanks, any chance you would know how long it would take from entering the pool to getting a ground school date?

Thanks

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

ellinas wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:24 am Oh ok thanks, so they won’t be hiring any 500 hour guys anytime soon.
Last I heard, the low hour training program was in the works. There's a lot of talk and that's all it ever is until it's ink on paper.

They need to hire more pilots and they can either increase salaries or decrease requirements.

flyingpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyingpilot »

Would you happen to know by any chance how long it takes from getting into the pool to getting into a ground school?
thanks

Return to “WestJet Encore”