Encore interview request

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Encore interview request

Post by MrAviator19 »

Mountainwave wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:07 pm This time around I completed an online interview with three recruiters in December 2021.

The employment package is called the WestJet Encore Pilot Briefing Sheet with all the details/benefits of working for Encore.

In Feb 2020 when I was placed in the pool I met all the hiring requirements but I wasn't offered a ground school date or a job.

If I were you I would definitely try to reach out to Encore and let them know you applied and are interested. It would be worth emailing anyone who you were in contact with before COVID.

Good Luck!
I guess they're not flying potential candidates to YYC any more for the in-person due to COVID?

I received that same package back in Aug 2019 before my in-person and was offered a conditional a week after the YYC interview. Then, of course, told to re-apply once things went south in 2020. But I'm surprised you got the interview call before the end of 2021 itself. I've reached out to their pilot recruiter but no response yet. I don't blame them with all the madness around related to training and Omicron. I guess I'll wait for now. Anyways, thanks for the info, I hope you get a GS date soon because when you move, we all move! :lol:

MrA
---------- ADS -----------

FlyAlberta
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyAlberta »

Most recent thing I’ve heard for Encore as of 2 weeks ago is new hire classes starting April or May. Over 1000 applications for the f/o posting. 250hr new hires most likely not brought on until late summer (250hr training program still being built) and the first chunk of them will be from partner flight schools.

Alkoa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Alkoa »

FlyAlberta wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:15 pm Most recent thing I’ve heard for Encore as of 2 weeks ago is new hire classes starting April or May. Over 1000 applications for the f/o posting. 250hr new hires most likely not brought on until late summer (250hr training program still being built) and the first chunk of them will be from partner flight schools.
Hope new hires have exit plans already in mind... it's a dead end career wise.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Alkoa wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:04 pm
FlyAlberta wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:15 pm Most recent thing I’ve heard for Encore as of 2 weeks ago is new hire classes starting April or May. Over 1000 applications for the f/o posting. 250hr new hires most likely not brought on until late summer (250hr training program still being built) and the first chunk of them will be from partner flight schools.
Didn't realize that guaranteed flow to WestJet was a dead end.

Alkoa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Alkoa »

imjustlurking wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:39 pm
If you look at flow for the past few years, it will take at least 10 years for new hires to flow at WestJet, if ever! With no YOS. Sadly, you have better chance to go mainline as OTS than via Encore IMO.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Alkoa wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:30 pm

If you look at flow for the past few years, it will take at least 10 years for new hires to flow at WestJet, if ever! With no YOS. Sadly, you have better chance to go mainline as OTS than via Encore IMO.
WS/WO are negotiating a new contract in 2022.
WR is doing the same in 2023. There is room for improvement and I am optimistic.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

What guaranteed flow? There is no such thing. That's reserved for Jazz pilots. Encore pilots have nothing at all guaranteed, and the 10 years suggested is accurate. It's looking like only flow to Swoop for the foreseeable too. Alkoa is right on this one, it's a dead end job. Although if you have 250 hours it sure beats working the ramp.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:27 am

What guaranteed flow? There is no such thing. That's reserved for Jazz pilots. Encore pilots have nothing at all guaranteed, and the 10 years suggested is accurate. It's looking like only flow to Swoop for the foreseeable too. Alkoa is right on this one, it's a dead end job. Although if you have 250 hours it sure beats working the ramp.
The Pilot Transfer Agreement (PTA) guarantees flow by seniority number. It states that 70% of all vacancies (up to 90 pilots per year) in Swoop and WestJet must be offered to Encore pilots in a seniority based bid.

Jazz pilots don't have a guaranteed flow... they only have a guaranteed interview.

YYZshill
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YYZshill »

edit

Last edited by YYZshill on Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

imjustlurking wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:10 am

The Pilot Transfer Agreement (PTA) guarantees flow by seniority number. It states that 70% of all vacancies (up to 90 pilots per year) in Swoop and WestJet must be offered to Encore pilots in a seniority based bid.

There's a clause in that PTA you aren't mentioning for some reason. They don't have to flow a single pilot, they can pay a small financial penalty to each Encore pilot at the end of each year in lieu of flowing anyone. This is the new established approach they have taken, and will take for the future. They are fully aware they cannot let captains leave Encore. There will be a trickle of Encore pilots that are allowed to go to Swoop each year.
Again, locking yourself at Encore for 8-10 years might be a good opportunity for someone with 250 hours. Any kind of experience then I would say try and get on straight at Swoop/Mainline!

Alkoa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Alkoa »

Jazz pilots don't have a guaranteed flow... they only have a guaranteed interview.
If you look at the last 2 bids (everyone has been recalled at swoop), there is about 10% flow allowed from Encore to Swoop. The company just pay the small penalty at the end of the year for not respecting the PTA. Again, it's a dead end job at sub par contract.

Mountainwave
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mountainwave »

Alkoa wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:34 am

If you look at the last 2 bids (everyone has been recalled at swoop), there is about 10% flow allowed from Encore to Swoop. The company just pay the small penalty at the end of the year for not respecting the PTA. Again, it's a dead end job at sub par contract.

:lol:
Trolling a forum is a dead end job.
:lol:

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:06 am
There's a clause in that PTA you aren't mentioning for some reason. They don't have to flow a single pilot, they can pay a small financial penalty to each Encore pilot at the end of each year in lieu of flowing anyone. This is the new established approach they have taken, and will take for the future. They are fully aware they cannot let captains leave Encore. There will be a trickle of Encore pilots that are allowed to go to Swoop each year.
Again, locking yourself at Encore for 8-10 years might be a good opportunity for someone with 250 hours. Any kind of experience then I would say try and get on straight at Swoop/Mainline!
I was going to correct you, but I figured I'd check your math.

:shock:

Thunder-Head
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thunder-Head »

Mountainwave wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:07 pm
MrAviator19 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:19 pm
Mountainwave wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:43 am I completed the Encore interview before end of December 2021. I also know several others who did as well.

However, we were all in the Encore pool prior to COVID-19 (March 2020).

I received an employment package but I haven't heard back about any ground school dates or if I'm in the pool again.

They are just ramping up again after the holidays and are reevaluating the current situation.

Good luck all.
A few questions...

Did you do the virtual or in-person interview in YYC before Dec 2021?

When you say "employment package", is this a signed offer or just an information package?

When you were placed in the pool prior to COVID, did you already meet all their hiring requirements or was it a conditional offer?

Thanks.

I went through virtual, in-person and conditional offer (waiting to hit 1000 hr mark) stages in Aug-Sep 2019 and re-applied this time around and no online updates for me except "in progress" for nearly 2 months.

MrA

This time around I completed an online interview with three recruiters in December 2021.

The employment package is called the WestJet Encore Pilot Briefing Sheet with all the details/benefits of working for Encore.

In Feb 2020 when I was placed in the pool I met all the hiring requirements but I wasn't offered a ground school date or a job.

If I were you I would definitely try to reach out to Encore and let them know you applied and are interested. It would be worth emailing anyone who you were in contact with before COVID.

Good Luck!
What is your current status? Have they done a reference and criminal record check yet? If so have you heard from them since with next steps? And what was the time frame? I’m in a similar position as you and I’m just curious. Thanks!

Last edited by Thunder-Head on Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PIC26
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PIC26 »

Anyone here who applied recently Nov/Dec 2021 get a response yet?

YYZshill
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YYZshill »

PIC26 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:29 pm Anyone here who applied recently Nov/Dec 2021 get a response yet?
finished digital interview beginning of jan, received email for Teams interview this week.

PostPandemic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PostPandemic »

YYZshill wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:50 pm
PIC26 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:29 pm Anyone here who applied recently Nov/Dec 2021 get a response yet?
finished digital interview beginning of jan, received email for Teams interview this week.
What is your Total flight time ? Just to give us an idea as to what experience candidates being contacted are at, at the moment.

YYZshill
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YYZshill »

YYZshill wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:34 pm
twa22 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:40 pm
YYZshill wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:13 pm Applied with my buddy around the same time. He got a digital interview request, and still waiting on mine. We applied on the first day it was posted.
How many hours do you and your buddy have?
We’re both sitting around 2000 with ATPL

Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Gear Jerker »

To clarify some of the comments about flow:

Prior to Covid, hundreds of Pilots flowed from Encore to WestJet, and that is very much the stated plan going forward. All pilots on the WPSL will be recalled by this summer, meaning that any additional pilots needed will come from a combination of flow and hiring. Internally, we are told repeatedly that there will be flow this year, although nothing tangible is currently known.

Whoever feels most confident holding a crystal ball and telling us what will unfold within the world, within aviation, and then specifically within the WestJet group and pilot seniority in the next little while is welcome to do so.

Pre Covid, average flow time was around the 3 year mark. Like everything else in the world, this has obviously been impacted by the pandemic. The actual amount of flow will always be a combination of WS crewing needs, and how much WR can flow senior captains and members of the training department without crippling the operation. It has always been this way.

It's a regional airline and it's not perfect, but it's an awful lot better than any job I ever had in my life previously. I've been able to pay off all my student debt, buy my first house, become a very active investor, and travel more than I ever imagined. Work wise, there are good and bad days, but without question the good have outnumbered the bad. I can't even imagine coming here at 2000 hours, or 1000 hours, let alone some of the fortune 250hr guys at some point.

Best of luck to everyone applying.

GJ

Look, it's f***in Patrick Swayze and Reveen!
imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Gear Jerker wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:38 pm To clarify some of the comments about flow:

Prior to Covid, hundreds of Pilots flowed from Encore to WestJet, and that is very much the stated plan going forward. All pilots on the WPSL will be recalled by this summer, meaning that any additional pilots needed will come from a combination of flow and hiring. Internally, we are told repeatedly that there will be flow this year, although nothing tangible is currently known.

Whoever feels most confident holding a crystal ball and telling us what will unfold within the world, within aviation, and then specifically within the WestJet group and pilot seniority in the next little while is welcome to do so.

Pre Covid, average flow time was around the 3 year mark. Like everything else in the world, this has obviously been impacted by the pandemic. The actual amount of flow will always be a combination of WS crewing needs, and how much WR can flow senior captains and members of the training department without crippling the operation. It has always been this way.

It's a regional airline and it's not perfect, but it's an awful lot better than any job I ever had in my life previously. I've been able to pay off all my student debt, buy my first house, become a very active investor, and travel more than I ever imagined. Work wise, there are good and bad days, but without question the good have outnumbered the bad. I can't even imagine coming here at 2000 hours, or 1000 hours, let alone some of the fortune 250hr guys at some point.

Best of luck to everyone applying.

GJ
Well said!

Return to “WestJet Encore”