Encore interview request

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Encore interview request

Post by fish4life »

Keep in mind that all airlines are cutting schedules and re-evaluating their winter and spring schedules so hiring is probably low on the priority list right now.
---------- ADS -----------

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

fish4life wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:43 pm Keep in mind that all airlines are cutting schedules and re-evaluating their winter and spring schedules so hiring is probably low on the priority list right now.
Really?

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

kiaszceski wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:32 pm
fish4life wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:43 pm Keep in mind that all airlines are cutting schedules and re-evaluating their winter and spring schedules so hiring is probably low on the priority list right now.
Really?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvne ... 30017.html

https://www.aircanada.com/kr/en/aco/hom ... ons.html#/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6300717

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

fish4life wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:11 am
kiaszceski wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:32 pm
Really?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvne ... 30017.html

https://www.aircanada.com/kr/en/aco/hom ... ons.html#/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6300717
Air Canada has a lot of furloughed pilots still. WestJet will be fully recalled by May.

Jazz and Encore are fully recalled with the last of their recalls scheduled to be trained in the next couple of months.

Hiring is definitely on the table and is actively being worked on. Airlines are not so short sighted as to ignore hiring until it's too late... well, they are but not right now.

PIC26
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PIC26 »

Looks like they're also hiring for Swoop. Most likely WJ wants to beat the post-pandemic hiring (Porter doing the same), get enough of a pool going to support the flow/retirements onto the mainline. If last summer in the USA (Canada a small sample of it) was any indication, flights were being canceled due to lack of crew. A 15% decrease in operations is easier to implement than a 30% increase.. given how long it takes to train then re-train!

Wish the best for everyone ✈

MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrAviator19 »

The present reduction in schedules is primarily due to staff shortages related to Omicron. If they just had enough pilots (and other departments) to backfill the sick calls, it would probably be a different picture right now. We’ve already seen what the post-pandemic recovery could look like, so it won’t be in the airlines’ best interest to wait until the last minute to resume hiring and then waste more time training. Better to be prepared now and initiate line indocs once the schedules are back to 100%. That being said, like everything in aviation - I’ll believe it when I see it.

MrA

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

MrAviator19 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:55 pm
The present reduction in schedules is primarily due to staff shortages related to Omicron. If they just had enough pilots (and other departments) to backfill the sick calls, it would probably be a different picture right now. We’ve already seen what the post-pandemic recovery could look like, so it won’t be in the airlines’ best interest to wait until the last minute to resume hiring and then waste more time training. Better to be prepared now and initiate line indocs once the schedules are back to 100%. That being said, like everything in aviation - I’ll believe it when I see it.

MrA
I see where you are coming from, but your information is out of date.

The schedules were reduced by around 20% this quarter and are being reduced another 25% or so day of due to passenger booking cancellations.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

PIC26 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:44 am Looks like they're also hiring for Swoop. Most likely WJ wants to beat the post-pandemic hiring (Porter doing the same), get enough of a pool going to support the flow/retirements onto the mainline. If last summer in the USA (Canada a small sample of it) was any indication, flights were being canceled due to lack of crew. A 15% decrease in operations is easier to implement than a 30% increase.. given how long it takes to train then re-train!

Wish the best for everyone ✈
The only reason for hiring at Encore/Swoop is because they've recalled all Encore/Swoop pilots and now there are vacancies. There is no strategic plan to beat the hiring at other airlines (I mean perhaps their should be, but there isn't).

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Also, unless you're at 250TT there is no good reason to interview at Encore (unless you're desperate to live in YYC and not commute I suppose). At 1500 hours you can go straight to Swoop currently and then bid to mainline after the 2 year freeze. Even mainline was hiring 1500TT just before Covid hit.
Remember once you're at Encore you're stuck there. Fine for a while, but after 6, 7 years you'll be kicking yourself. Jazz it most certainly ain't.

PIC26
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PIC26 »

Agreed but for those with <1500, comparing Encore to a job up north on a smaller twin or single becomes an it is what it is situation! And for those who dont get Encore, highly likely you'll end up on a Q with Porter or Jazz anyway. IMO its very unlikely they'll hire 1500 hr pilots at Swoop unless they have lots of ME PIC time. Same goes for this 250hr posting.

How long would it take for a base change out of YYC to YYZ anyone know? Kind of a far fetched questions given todays times are so uncertain.

PostPandemic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PostPandemic »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:05 pm Also, unless you're at 250TT there is no good reason to interview at Encore (unless you're desperate to live in YYC and not commute I suppose). At 1500 hours you can go straight to Swoop currently and then bid to mainline after the 2 year freeze. Even mainline was hiring 1500TT just before Covid hit.
Remember once you're at Encore you're stuck there. Fine for a while, but after 6, 7 years you'll be kicking yourself. Jazz it most certainly ain't.
Could you elaborate on your opinion as to why somebody would be desperate to go work for Encore at 250h TT and get "stuck" for 6-7 years. What do you mean by being stuck ? Having 1500 TT is one thing (for swoop), but there are other requirements such as 1000 hour multi engine time, don't think many people have that out of their 1500 TT.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:05 pm Also, unless you're at 250TT there is no good reason to interview at Encore (unless you're desperate to live in YYC and not commute I suppose). At 1500 hours you can go straight to Swoop currently and then bid to mainline after the 2 year freeze. Even mainline was hiring 1500TT just before Covid hit.
YYC is the senior base. If you're that desperate, you'll still be commuting.

The bottom 18 Encorians on the recall* list were YYC based (pre-COVID), 10 of which are going to be commuting to YYZ.

*Added 'recall' to clarify.

MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrAviator19 »

imjustlurking wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:44 am
MrAviator19 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:55 pm

MrA
I see where you are coming from, but your information is out of date.

The schedules were reduced by around 20% this quarter and are being reduced another 25% or so day of due to passenger booking cancellations.
Fair enough. It seems what started as staff shortages here has quickly turned into a lack of demand again. Different scenes south of the border though - massive cancellations for lack of crew and new hiring not able to keep up. The best the airlines can do here is prepare so as not to get caught off guard again with training. Time will tell.

MrA

Mountainwave
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mountainwave »

I completed the Encore interview before end of December 2021. I also know several others who did as well.

However, we were all in the Encore pool prior to COVID-19 (March 2020).

I received an employment package but I haven't heard back about any ground school dates or if I'm in the pool again.

They are just ramping up again after the holidays and are reevaluating the current situation.

Good luck all.

MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrAviator19 »

Mountainwave wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:43 am I completed the Encore interview before end of December 2021. I also know several others who did as well.

I received an employment package but I haven't heard back about any ground school dates or if I'm in the pool again.

They are just ramping up again after the holidays and are reevaluating the current situation.

Good luck all.
A few questions...

Did you do the virtual or in-person interview in YYC before Dec 2021?

When you say "employment package", is this a signed offer or just an information package?

When you were placed in the pool prior to COVID, did you already meet all their hiring requirements or was it a conditional offer?

Thanks.

I went through virtual, in-person and conditional offer (waiting to hit 1000 hr mark) stages in Aug-Sep 2019 and re-applied this time around and no online updates for me except "in progress" for nearly 2 months.

MrA

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

MrAviator19 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:19 pm
Mountainwave wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:43 am I completed the Encore interview before end of December 2021. I also know several others who did as well.

Good luck all.
A few questions...

When you say "employment package", is this a signed offer or just an information package?

When you were placed in the pool prior to COVID, did you already meet all their hiring requirements or was it a conditional offer?

Thanks.

I went through virtual, in-person and conditional offer (waiting to hit 1000 hr mark) stages in Aug-Sep 2019 and re-applied this time around and no online updates for me except "in progress" for nearly 2 months.

MrA
Did recruitment not reach out to you via email? I was in your position as well and they got in touch with me the day after the ad went up to get things moving. I haven't done the latest interview yet due to some personal stuff that came up so can't help with your questions sorry.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Good luck all.
A few questions...

Thanks.

MrA
Emails:

Video Interview Request: "Interview with WestJet" from interviews@hirevue.com
In Person Interview: "Pilot Interview Invite" from from system@successfactors.com
Offer of Employment: "WestJet Offer of Employment" from system@successfactors.com

You may get emails from the recruiting team as well, but the above emails were the ones that came from their recruitment management software.

MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrAviator19 »

RockSalty wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:16 pm Did recruitment not reach out to you via email? I was in your position as well and they got in touch with me the day after the ad went up to get things moving. I haven't done the latest interview yet due to some personal stuff that came up so can't help with your questions sorry.
Just received the initial “FO posting open again, apply if interested” from the recruiter which was sent out as a mass email to all those that were in the program prior to Covid. Nothing specific as to the nature my individual standing in the process. But thanks for your response. What experience level are you at?

MrA
imjustlurking wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:22 am Emails:

Video Interview Request: "Interview with WestJet" from interviews@hirevue.com
In Person Interview: "Pilot Interview Invite" from from system@successfactors.com
Offer of Employment: "WestJet Offer of Employment" from system@successfactors.com

You may get emails from the recruiting team as well, but the above emails were the ones that came from their recruitment management software.
Thanks for all that info. I’ll keep an eye out. Just trying to gage what experience level are you guys at to receive such a fast response? Also, how long did you roughly have to wait between each stage of the process?

MrA

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

MrAviator19 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:16 pm
RockSalty wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:16 pm Did recruitment not reach out to you via email? I was in your position as well and they got in touch with me the day after the ad went up to get things moving. I haven't done the latest interview yet due to some personal stuff that came up so can't help with your questions sorry.
Just received the initial “FO posting open again, apply if interested” from the recruiter which was sent out as a mass email to all those that were in the program prior to Covid. Nothing specific as to the nature my individual standing in the process. But thanks for your response. What experience level are you at?

MrA
I was in the same boat as you, was waiting to hit 1000 total right before covid happened. When I got the initial email from recruitment back in December I replied with a few questions and there's been a little bit of back and forth since then.

Mountainwave
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mountainwave »

Good luck all.
A few questions...

Thanks.

MrA

This time around I completed an online interview with three recruiters in December 2021.

The employment package is called the WestJet Encore Pilot Briefing Sheet with all the details/benefits of working for Encore.

In Feb 2020 when I was placed in the pool I met all the hiring requirements but I wasn't offered a ground school date or a job.

If I were you I would definitely try to reach out to Encore and let them know you applied and are interested. It would be worth emailing anyone who you were in contact with before COVID.

Good Luck!

Return to “WestJet Encore”