Encore interview request

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Encore interview request

Post by kiaszceski »

flyingpilot wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:54 am Would you happen to know by any chance how long it takes from getting into the pool to getting into a ground school?
thanks
It depends on the most suitable candidate, my guess is less than 5 weeks in a pool.
---------- ADS -----------

Roundel Randy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roundel Randy »

co-joe wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:14 pm
Roundel Randy wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:29 pm I have an interview coming up. Just wondering if anyone has any pointers for it. For anybody that recently got interviewed, how long was the wait to get an offer and to start ground school?
In person or video interview?
It was a virtual interview on Teams.

Roundel Randy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roundel Randy »

I completed my interview mid-July and my references were contacted at the end of July. Just playing the waiting game right now. Any idea how long that could take?

flyingpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyingpilot »

did they give you any information as to when the next ground school date might be?

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

No hiring or upgrades in Toronto.

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

goingmissed wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:38 pm No hiring or upgrades in Toronto.
I hear that too, they won’t be hiring anyone at encore for the next couple of years .

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!
flyingpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyingpilot »

ellinas wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:50 pm
I hear that too, they won’t be hiring anyone at encore for the next couple of years .
Does that include the applicants already in the pool?

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

flyingpilot wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:52 pm
ellinas wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:50 pm
Does that include the applicants already in the pool?
Not unless you have a lot of time like 1500 hours, so for the next couple of years I hear they’re not hiring any pilots.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

Let's clear things up. Nobody knows what the plan is for hiring or upgrades other than the November bid has zero hires, upgrades, or transfers to Toronto... a move that is unprecedented at Encore while there is a noticeable captain deficit at the company and an even bigger first officer shortage in Toronto.

Are they closing the YYZ Q400 base? Nobody knows.

Why don't we know? Because management is hell bent on feeding rumours while providing absolutely no information of value other than "Swoop airplanes are flown by pilots too."

tl;dr: There is hiring, but the current hiring period of end of 2022 is looking like YYC only.

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

goingmissed wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:38 am Let's clear things up. Nobody knows what the plan is for hiring or upgrades other than the November bid has zero hires, upgrades, or transfers to Toronto... a move that is unprecedented at Encore while there is a noticeable captain deficit at the company and an even bigger first officer shortage in Toronto.

Why don't we know? Because management is hell bent on feeding rumours while providing absolutely no information of value other than "Swoop airplanes are flown by pilots too."

tl;dr: There is hiring, but the current hiring period of end of 2022 is looking like YYC only.
Yeah I heard from a guy I know that is based in YYC that their most likely shutdown YYZ encore, too bad as it would have been a good starting gig.

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

ellinas wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:45 am Yeah I heard from a guy I know that is based in YYC that their most likely shutdown YYZ encore, too bad as it would have been a good starting gig.
It's a shame that the "the idiots out west [are] eating out lunch"

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

goingmissed wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:38 am Let's clear things up. Nobody knows what the plan is for hiring or upgrades other than the November bid has zero hires, upgrades, or transfers to Toronto... a move that is unprecedented at Encore while there is a noticeable captain deficit at the company and an even bigger first officer shortage in Toronto.

That one was eye opening. I also learned recently from mgmt that there’s no money to be made from widebody flying, and that even though our planes are full we still can’t make any money. Oh and let’s not forget ‘it’s free to train pilots’. :rolleyes:

LongBranch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LongBranch »

ellinas wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:45 am

Yeah I heard from a guy I know that is based in YYC that their most likely shutdown YYZ encore, too bad as it would have been a good starting gig.
Buddy around the corner say alot of things, one thing he probably does not say is that our current contract at encore requires to the company to fork out anywhere from a minimum of 50k upwards to 150k per pilot for a a base closure/ forced move. There not closing yyz for that reason alone, rumours help the management though. Pilots freak out, they start flowing to swoop/ mainline; voluntarily request a base transfer ext....

What is more likely to happen is they attrition down the base (flow, leaving, upgrades ext...), not allow new hires into it, not replace flowing pilots at the base, and relocate most/ all of training to yyc.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

So,

Encore Toronto base WILL shutdown if they don’t have enough manpower. Read between the lines: they will never improve wages, unless the numbers turns red but it’s gonna be too late.

No Gs until November due to training capacity. Read between the lines: apply to Flair or Porter or Jazz for the low timer. Other people apply to WestJet, Transat, AC, Cargojet for the others.

Happy Sunday!

pirep
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pirep »

In their press release they did say they are going to move encore out west and get rid of 10 Q400. Don't know what they're going to do with YYZ-based pilots, either offer them YYZ/YHM swoop or mainline?

Sucks for everyone in the pool, most are probably going to expire and have to reapply.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

pirep wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:34 pm In their press release they did say they are going to move encore out west and get rid of 10 Q400. Don't know what they're going to do with YYZ-based pilots, either offer them YYZ/YHM swoop or mainline?

Sucks for everyone in the pool, most are probably going to expire and have to reapply.
They can’t flow them out of seniority. However the company has always done what they wanted and the union had to grieve it.
It won’t be different this time if they decide to flow the yyz base. Which would make sense company wise.
I don’t think you’re gonna expire, however nobody knows how they choose their candidates from the pool.

Roundel Randy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roundel Randy »

From my interview nearly a month ago, they didn't know what was happening with the YYZ base other than it wouldn't be an immediate shutdown (maybe next Spring?).

They were looking for GS out to October. They were only hiring for YYC. And they were very interest in people that could upgrade to Captain quickly (have their PIC time, A's written, etc.).

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

Roundel Randy wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:51 pm From my interview nearly a month ago, they didn't know what was happening with the YYZ base other than it wouldn't be an immediate shutdown (maybe next Spring?).

They were looking for GS out to October. They were only hiring for YYC. And they were very interest in people that could upgrade to Captain quickly (have their PIC time, A's written, etc.).
Hmm, I wonder where they have a pool of people who have theirs ATPL and a bunch of Q400 time operating at the airports that Encore operates... It'll come to me!

Roundel Randy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roundel Randy »

About a month after my interview and a couple of weeks after my references were contacted, I've been notified that I am in a pool of candidates. Any idea of how long it might take to formally get an offer or have a G/S date?

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

How long is the training?

Return to “WestJet Encore”