Party time on Sunwing!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Party time on Sunwing!

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

The rules while on board were explained to them by the FA's yet they chose to completely ignore them. They are all adults, with choices come consequences....

Sympathy for the FA's very high, for the passengers, zero...
---------- ADS -----------

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

I think there’s more to this story. Obviously nothing was said till it exploded on social media. If the FAs had lost control, the pilots would have stopped short. They didn’t and it took 4-5 days for this to come out.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

northernpilot2 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:56 pm :roll:

I'm glad only few people like you exist. This world would a boring place if everyone was like you.
I’m sorry. I’m not using the pandemic as an excuse for these people to act the way they did. There are certain ways to act on an airplane, and THIS is not one of them. If this was a regularly scheduled flight and someone was vaping, that would be squashed almost immediately by the cabin crew. Trying to enforce the rules when 150 people are together in one big group? No way. The cabin crew lost control of the cabin and that is a safety issue, no matter how you look at it. The only decision they had was whether or not to divert, which could have made things worse if they passengers became angry.

I’ll ask again, and I hope you will not shy away from answering this question, because this is what it comes down to: Would this behaviour be acceptable if COVID never existed and this was a normal group charter flight? Would this behaviour be acceptable on a regularly scheduled flight?

I don’t think so. Look outside of your narrow view of “They’re just letting loose after 2 years of restrictions” and a stop using COVID as an excuse for people behaving badly. They’re adults and they’re now feeling the effect of their poor choices. If they got away with this with no repercussions, it’ll just show the travelling public that air-travel is a free-for-all where anything goes, and I hope that’s not what you want.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

jpilot77 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:05 pm If the FAs had lost control, the pilots would have stopped short.
Not always true. I know of 2 other private charter flights on 737-sized aircraft (not with Sunwing) where the cabin crew lost control of the cabin. In both instances, it was felt it was safer to continue to destination as diverting would likely lead to hostility from the passengers.

The F/A’s essentially hid in the galley for the remainder of the flight and let the party continue. 4 girls vs 150+ drunk passengers and I think you know how that’ll turn out.

The funny thing was that in both of the instances I mentioned, there were strict terms given to the passengers for the return journey (no alcohol on board, etc), they actually signed the terms and the trip home was uneventful. It seems these kids felt they didn’t have to agree to the terms and could just hop the next flight home with someone else. I guess they guessed wrong.

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

Turns out the one that was vaping on the videos is the pilot finishing up her CPL (Vanessa Cosi), as per the local newspaper.

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

kgb531 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:28 pm A few? The vast majority of Canadians agree with said carrier sentiment.
That's probably why Trudeau got re-elected. :roll:

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:07 pm

Would this behaviour be acceptable if COVID never existed and this was a normal group charter flight? Would this behaviour be acceptable on a regularly scheduled flight?

Being completely maskless? 100% acceptable.
Drinking in moderation, not excessive? 100% acceptable.
Vaping? Im not sure.
Opening the main door? Not acceptable.

yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yhz41 »

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

I’m pretty sure anyone “approving” this type of behaviour would change their tune pronto if their daughter (or son) or wife was on board acting as F/A

It has no place in flight, there is zero excuse for it none!
They were warned and choose to ignore it.

freakonature
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by freakonature »

Did they depart from an FBO?

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

northernpilot2 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:32 pm Being completely maskless? 100% acceptable.
Vaping? Im not sure.
The behaviour I ask is ignoring the rules and regulations put forth by the air carrier.
- Drinking their own alcohol? Not allowed.
- Vaping? Not allowed pre or post-Covid.
- Reports of passengers doing drugs onboard? Not allowed.

I’m assuming you’re not a professional pilot, otherwise you’d know these things.

At least one of these people you’re defending has Covid and is now stuck in Mexico. She estimates 30 others also have Covid and they’re trying to beat the pre-departure tests using Vaseline smeared in their noses.

These are some real model citizens you’re standing up for.

yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yhz41 »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:20 pm
northernpilot2 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:32 pm Being completely maskless? 100% acceptable.
Vaping? Im not sure.
The behaviour I ask is ignoring the rules and regulations put forth by the air carrier.
- Drinking their own alcohol? Not allowed.
- Vaping? Not allowed pre or post-Covid.
- Reports of passengers doing drugs onboard? Not allowed.

I’m assuming you’re not a professional pilot, otherwise you’d know these things.

At least one of these people you’re defending has Covid and is now stuck in Mexico. She estimates 30 others also have Covid and they’re trying to beat the pre-departure tests using Vaseline smeared in their noses.

These are some real model citizens you’re standing up for.
At least one of them left Canada with covid. Allegedly.

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

No sympathy for them and because of who they are I hope they get some hefty fines.
But at the same time they chartered that jet did they not? How many gulfstreams, globals and falcons going from Canada to Mexico resemble that exact scene on a smaller scale every day? Almost every single one of them?

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

wow, why would you post all that :oops:

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

YC87DRVR wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:50 am No sympathy for them and because of who they are I hope they get some hefty fines.
But at the same time they chartered that jet did they not? How many gulfstreams, globals and falcons going from Canada to Mexico resemble that exact scene on a smaller scale every day? Almost every single one of them?
Did they charter the jet, or, did they buy tickets from a tour operator that chartered the jet ?

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

flyingcanuck wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:36 am
wow, why would she post all that :oops:

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

goldeneagle wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:40 am
YC87DRVR wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:50 am No sympathy for them and because of who they are I hope they get some hefty fines.
Did they charter the jet, or, did they buy tickets from a tour operator that chartered the jet ?
Sunwing Airlines is a charter airline.

My money is that this "agency" organized a group booking to get a better rate and then sold it off for a profit. He promised a private airplane with DJ and meals and gave them a Sunwing 737, bluetooth tube speaker, and bag of chips.

GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoHomeLeg »

Jumping up and down on the floor boards, standing on seats, and arm rest potentially causing damage to the aircraft is not acceptable behaviour. They all should know better. A commercial airliner is not a night club on a cruise ship. Drinking your own alcohol on board and vaping is also not allowed. Entitled idiot nobody wannabe famous influencers. They over estimate their significance to the world.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

I always believed youngins had smarts- until they don’t. Posting very questionable antics on social media platforms is going to attract scrutiny from media to authorities and everyone in between - hello AvCanada. Dam the torpedoes thinking from said travellers got them into a sticky situation. But whatever.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I read that alcohol was being served throughout the duration of the flight.

Or is that report incorrect?

If not were they disobeying crew or just left to their own behaviours?

Return to “General Comments”