ALPA 1934-1940's Membership Requirements

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: 1938 ALPA BOD Convention Discussion on Membership Requirements

Post by ALPApolicy »

PRESIDENT BEHNCKE: Are there any other committee chairmen ready to report resolutions to the floor?

MR. ELSMORE: I have two that we might just as well get rid of, I presume.

PRESIDENT BEHNCKE: Mr. Elsmore.

MR. ELSMORE: We have one resolution on By-Laws, a letter from the New York State Temporary Commission on the condition of the urban colored population.

Air Line Pilots' Association
Chicago, Illinois

Gentlemen:

The Handbook of American Trade-Unions, 1936 Edition, on page 241 under qualifications for Membership quotes your organization as follows:

"Any male of the white race of lawful age, etc."

This is to ask if this apparent exlusion of non-white persons from membership is still in effect? If this regulation is still in effect, but a change is being discussed or planned, please give us a statement concerning same.

May we hear from you at your earliest convenience?

Mr. Behncke wrote the Director as follows:

I have your letter of January 5, and was very glad to have you write us. Our By-laws were drawn up more or less in accordance with current practices on the air lines, and they are set up in such a way that important changes cannot be made except in Convention. We can make it a point to bring up the matter at our next annual Convention, which is scheduled to take place in October, 1938.

If there is any further question you would like to write us on, please do not hesitate to do so.

With all good wishes, I remain,

Cordially,

AIR LINE PILOTS ASSOCIATION
David L. Behncke, President

After considerable discussion on this matter and referring back to our last convention when a move was made to include women pilots, which was voted down leaving it exclusively to white males, and also in view of the fact that we did not know at the present time of any colored pilots -- air line pilots, at least -- in the United States, the issue or question is really not an issue.

We therefore, recommend that no change be made at the present time. As a note, in case Mr. Behncke wants to write them further, there is a statement that there are no colored air line pilots in the United States today, so that there is no need for any change at the present time.

I move the adoption of the recommendation.

MR. FOSTER: I second it.

PRESIDENT BEHNCKE: Is there any further discussion? If not, all in favor signify by saying "Aye"; contrary. It is so ordered.
ALPA Convention 1938 P1.jpeg
ALPA Convention 1938 P1.jpeg (125.87 KiB) Viewed 2716 times
ALPA Convention 1938 P2.jpeg
ALPA Convention 1938 P2.jpeg (130.69 KiB) Viewed 2716 times
ALPA Convention 1938 P3.jpeg
ALPA Convention 1938 P3.jpeg (102.37 KiB) Viewed 2716 times
---------- ADS -----------

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: 1938 ALPA BOD Convention Discussion on Membership Requirements

Post by imjustlurking »

ALPApolicy wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:21 pm
John, is it?

If a twenty year old was in ALPA when this meeting took place, they would be thirty years retired from flying today.

Your crusade to bismerch ALPA with irrelevant history is as misguided as a Trump supporter complaining that Democrats fought to keep slavery status quo.

Times have changed. Groups have changed. Ideals have changed.

You conveniently ignore the modern ALPA commitment to diversity and inclusivity.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion

The Air Line Pilots Association, Int’l (ALPA) strives to promote a diverse, inclusive culture where all pilots can be their authentic selves and are motivated to do their best. We are focusing efforts to foster a future generation of commercial airline pilots that better reflects the composition of the communities we serve.

Our union has long been committed to inspiring the next generation of airline pilots through outreach efforts to not only those who are already interested in our profession, but also those who have never considered it possible.

We are also collaborating with other aviation industry stakeholders to advocate that an inclusive workplace allows all pilots to flourish in their careers and contributes to positive social changes throughout our industry and world.

These efforts are coordinated through our President’s Committee for Diversity & Inclusion, which is composed of ALPA members who represent different cultures, experiences, and backgrounds. This committee is guided by the core values of Respect, Responsiveness, Inspire, Show Compassion, Equality, Equity, Unity, and Passion (RRISEEUP).
https://www.alpa.org/about-alpa/diversity-inclusion

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

ALPA RACE BY-LAW DISCUSSION & MOTION

Post by ALPApolicy »

PRESIDENT BEHNCKE: The Chair announces that there is a quorum present, and we will proceed with the business of the convention.

I notice that several of the chairmen have some resolutions ready to present to the floor. The first one on conventionm call is File No. 48, By-Laws, CAA Regulations and Legislation Committee, Mr. Pierman, Chairman...

MR. PIERMAN: FILE NO. 48 -- CONVENTION CALL NO.1 AMENDMENT TO MEMBERSHIP "RACE" SECTION OF THE BYLAWS

Summary of Question: According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, the human race is divided into the following categories:

white, black, yellow, and brown

Without going into the relative merits of the various peoples that constitute those which come within each of the above categories, we wish to point out that Article III, Section 2(a) of the By-Laws reads as follows:

"Sec. 2. (a) Any male of the white race, of lawful age, and of good moral character, who is legally qualified to serve as pilot or co-pilot on scheduled air carrier aircraft in interstate, overseas or foreign commerce, shall be eligible for membership as hereinafter provided."

We all have our feelings about the colored race and in drawing the line where colored people are concerned, and usually this is a question on which the least said, the better. The point we would like to bring out is that the above-quoted section is like waving a red flag about something that should be understood without being mentioned. Headquarters has been repeatedly embarrassed in Washington on this paragraph in our Constitution and Bylaws, by powerful organizations whose battle cry is, "No discrimination between race, color, and creed."

ALPA BOD 1942 RACE Section AMENDMENT P1.jpeg
ALPA BOD 1942 RACE Section AMENDMENT P1.jpeg (151.27 KiB) Viewed 2629 times
ALPA BOD 1942 RACE Section AMENDMENT P2.jpeg
ALPA BOD 1942 RACE Section AMENDMENT P2.jpeg (158.72 KiB) Viewed 2629 times

Last edited by ALPApolicy on Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: ALPA 1934-1940's Membership Requirements

Post by hithere »

John S,
Nobody is going to take the time to read this. It happened in the 1930s. Alpa has evolved since then as have most organizations. Why don’t you spend your time trying to talk some sense into the current racist organizations. Proud boys, Q’Anon and various skinhead organizations that currently exist. Alpa is not harming anyone. But these douchebag mentioned above certainly are. It would appear you have abundant time in your hands. Put it to good use

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

hithere wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:32 pm John S,
Nobody is going to take the time to read this. It happened in the 1930s. Alpa has evolved since then as have most organizations. Why don’t you spend your time trying to talk some sense into the current racist organizations. Proud boys, Q’Anon and various skinhead organizations that currently exist. Alpa is not harming anyone. But these douchebag mentioned above certainly are. It would appear you have abundant time in your hands. Put it to good use
Hi there hithere!

I'm not posting this so that others will read it. I want to write a book on aviation and racism and I need a place to organize my research. This seemed as good a place as any and I have the benefit that people will give me feedback FOR FREE!!!

Also, I do try to correct people's mistaken perception of things. For instance, I continually have to correct people that there is no epidemic of killings by police of unarmed Blacks in the USA. That is a BLM perpetrated lie that is completely and unequivocally contradicted by the facts.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

ALPApolicy wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:39 pm
hithere wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:32 pm John S,
Hi there hithere!

I'm not posting this so that others will read it. I want to write a book on aviation and racism and I need a place to organize my research. This seemed as good a place as any and I have the benefit that people will give me feedback FOR FREE!!!

Also, I do try to correct people's mistaken perception of things. For instance, I continually have to correct people that there is no epidemic of killings by police of unarmed Blacks in the USA. That is a BLM perpetrated lie that is completely and unequivocally contradicted by the facts.
"I am an anti-racist who believes in racist conspiracy theories."

You're good at trolling. I know that you're doing it and somehow I am unable to stop myself from responding.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

imjustlurking wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:02 pm

You're good at trolling. I know that you're doing it and somehow I am unable to stop myself from responding.
Well, to the nearest thousand, do you know how many unarmed Blacks are killed by cops in the USA each year?

hamstandard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hamstandard »

Not sure why anybody wants ALPA anyways. I heard that WJ pilots are very disappointed and AC pilots want nothing to do with them.

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

Trolls,trolls, everywhere. While you might get the impression from the vocal minority here that WJ/Encore/AC are unimpressed with Alpa, that is not the case. Believe it or not, what you read on avcanada is not representative of the truth. Crazy right! I think you will see WJ/Encore stay long term with Alpa; whether ACPA eventually goes ALPA is anyone’s guess

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

hamstandard wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:08 pm Not sure why anybody wants ALPA anyways. I heard that WJ pilots are very disappointed and AC pilots want nothing to do with them.
ALPA has 61000 members in the US and Canada. Membership is rising with Pilot groups joining that are not satisfied with their non-ALPA bargaining agent.

ALPA doesn’t need AC or any other current member group that might be investigating alternative representation.

Take a vote. 50%+1. And then move on.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

NOTE: I think this excerpt explains how President Behncke was able to reassure ALPA members that even without an explicit rule preventing Blacks from becoming members of ALPA, local councils would still be able to deny membership to Blacks if they so desired.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

PRESIDENT BEHNCKE: You have heard the reading of the summary of the question and the recommendation of the Committee.

I might explain first that this proposed change in the By-Laws is recommended by Headquarters. The membership of our organization comes from all parts of the United States, and it is not the purpose of this proposal to start any argument about the race question. However, I have been around Washington a good deal and I have been repeatedly embarrassed by this section of the By-Laws. It states "any male of the white race."

As a matter of fact, as the Chairman has pointed out, it is a sort of red flag. There is a number of organizations in Washington, and they make a business of picking these things up and throwing them at you, and that old hue and cry is always going on about not discriminating against people because of their color, creed or race. They say to you, "Well, your By-Laws say this."

We could reach the same objective by an amendment that this committee has proposed which reads as follows: "Any male of lawful age and of good moral character who serves as a pilot or copilot ... shall be eligible for membership..."

Those stipulations as established provide that a local council must approve a member and headquarters must approve a member before he can become a member of the Air Line Pilots Association. Any safeguards that anybody wants are established without going to the question and putting it there in balck and white so that people can pick it up and embarrass you with it.

Attachments
ALPA 1942 Behncke Safeguards.jpeg
ALPA 1942 Behncke Safeguards.jpeg (151.54 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

MR. FRANCIS: Mr. Chairman, do you have any information as to how that is handled ont he railroads? Perhaps we could get some information and copy their example.

PRESIDENT BEHNCKE: You mean how they handle this particular question? On the railroads they have what they term colored lodges. They don't take the colored people right into the organizations. They have established colored lodges for colored firemen and colored porters, and so on. They don't mix the races. Of course, the qualifications for membership, I suppose, are set by the various lodges.

MM. PIERMAN: I don't think we have any intention of doing anything like that here.

MR. FRANCIS: I never knew of a colored fireman or a colored engineer though I think we might follow some example they have.

PRESIDENT BEHNCKE: You say you don't even touch on the question. That is the question here. You say, "Any male of lawful age and of good moral character who serves as a pilot or copilot ... shall be eligible for membership in accordance with the stipulations ... " Then you get a whole flock of stipulations. First a membership application is received at headquarters, and then it goes back to the local council, and it is a pretty long procedure before that is actually approved. So it seems to me that the question is well under control without coming right out and saying it.

I don't believe we would ever have any people in the organization that are other than the white race.

Probably there will be at some time or other something done similar to what the railroads have done, but I don't think that is of immediate concern. The whole question here is that these organizations are very active, and they pick that up and just make a big fuss about it.

ALPA 1942 Behncke Stipulations.jpeg
ALPA 1942 Behncke Stipulations.jpeg (147.76 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
ALPA 1942 Behncke Coloreds.jpeg
ALPA 1942 Behncke Coloreds.jpeg (150.21 KiB) Viewed 2490 times

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

ALPApolicy wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:15 am MR. FRANCIS: Mr. Chairman, do you have any information as to how that is handled ont he railroads? Perhaps we could get some information and copy their example.

PRESIDENT BEHNCKE: You mean how they handle this particular question? On the railroads they have what they term colored lodges. They don't take the colored people right into the organizations. They have established colored lodges for colored firemen and colored porters, and so on. They don't mix the races. Of course, the qualifications for membership, I suppose, are set by the various lodges.

MM. PIERMAN: I don't think we have any intention of doing anything like that here.

MR. FRANCIS: I never knew of a colored fireman or a colored engineer though I think we might follow some example they have.

PRESIDENT BEHNCKE: You say you don't even touch on the question. That is the question here. You say, "Any male of lawful age and of good moral character who serves as a pilot or copilot ... shall be eligible for membership in accordance with the stipulations ... " Then you get a whole flock of stipulations. First a membership application is received at headquarters, and then it goes back to the local council, and it is a pretty long procedure before that is actually approved. So it seems to me that the question is well under control without coming right out and saying it.

I don't believe we would ever have any people in the organization that are other than the white race.

Probably there will be at some time or other something done similar to what the railroads have done, but I don't think that is of immediate concern. The whole question here is that these organizations are very active, and they pick that up and just make a big fuss about it.

ALPA 1942 Behncke Stipulations.jpegALPA 1942 Behncke Coloreds.jpeg
I’m not sure what your true intent is, given your past crusade against ALPA. It seems like you’re trying to embarrass a group of people who very likely are long dead and given that in the 1920’s the KKK had approximately 4 million members in the US, this policy is not at all surprising.
There in all likelihood are other, even plenty of other groups at that time with similar policies and your, paraphrasing,“I’m just organizing my research is pure BS. Nobody in their right mind would use a forum such as this to organize their book research. You are trying to illicit a response, to what end, who knows!
If you want to write a book about this history of ALPA and include the dark parts, fair enough, it appears that it hasn’t been done, who knows, I might even read it.

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

You hit the nail on the head; he is not in his right mind

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

ALPApolicy wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:08 pm
imjustlurking wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:02 pm

Well, to the nearest thousand, do you know how many unarmed Blacks are killed by cops in the USA each year?
If I'm round up to the nearest thousand, why not round up to the nearest googol?

If we do round to the nearest googol, we're talking 1x10^100 unarmed people who are black killed each year by police.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

hithere wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:20 am You hit the nail on the head; he is not in his right mind
So, because I spend $40 and dig up some historical information that is factually correct, and I post it without commentary (for the most part) then I therefore suffer from some type of mental illness?

If that is your response to these revelations then I would think you are the dictionary definition of white fragility. (I just assumed your skin tone.)

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

imjustlurking wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:02 amIf I'm round up to the nearest thousand, why not round up to the nearest googol?
Actually, I never said round "up". The answer, if we rounded to the nearest thousand would be zero as the actual number is 20 or so unarmed Blacks killed by police each year in the USA.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

ALPA Equity Statement & Apology

Post by ALPApolicy »

cdnavater wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:06 amI’m not sure what your true intent is, given your past crusade against ALPA.
In all fairness, my opposition to ALPA in the past was perfectly reasonable given that it was a fight for certification. Some were against certification and a slim majority were for certification. Life moves on.

My true intent is to have ALPA mirror the land acknowledgements that various civic groups and public institutions make with regard to indigenous/First Nations historical land occupation. Prior to every LEC/MEC/BOD Committee/Convention I believe it would be appropriate to have a statement read to the members present that acknowledges the harm done by the founders of ALPA in the form of its racist and sexist exclusionary language. It is very clear from the statements above from founding President Dave Behncke that he directed local councils to get around the lack of explicit language prohibiting non-white members by using the approval process to deny membership to Blacks (and other racial groups, but especially Blacks) should the local councils choose to do so. This goes a long way to explaining why the first Black pilot was not hired at a US airline until the 1960's and he at a non-ALPA airline.

Sample Statement:

"The Air Line Pilots Association wishes to acknowledge the harm done to non-white people and women who desired to become air line pilots as a result of both the explicit policy and the unwritten rule depriving ALPA membership to those groups in the period after ALPA's founding and persisting for some time. The Office of the President is dedicated to ensuring Equity and Diversity in ALPA represented flight decks and fostering an interest in aviation in traditionally underrepresented groups."

It will take a motion at a future Convention to have a statement similar to the above made policy, but I believe it should be done. Perhaps others agree. Perhaps not.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

hithere wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:47 pm Trolls,trolls, everywhere. While you might get the impression from the vocal minority here that WJ/Encore/AC are unimpressed with Alpa, that is not the case. Believe it or not, what you read on avcanada is not representative of the truth. Crazy right! I think you will see WJ/Encore stay long term with Alpa; whether ACPA eventually goes ALPA is anyone’s guess
Thats not what I have heard. I have heard that relations have been poisoned and Swoop was the result.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

pelmet wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:03 am
hithere wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:47 pm Trolls,trolls, everywhere. While you might get the impression from the vocal minority here that WJ/Encore/AC are unimpressed with Alpa, that is not the case. Believe it or not, what you read on avcanada is not representative of the truth. Crazy right! I think you will see WJ/Encore stay long term with Alpa; whether ACPA eventually goes ALPA is anyone’s guess
Thats not what I have heard. I have heard that relations have been poisoned and Swoop was the result.
Even with Swoop, from what I've heard on the line, the vast majority of pilots are happy with ALPA. There are people who are upset because of layoffs and bump downs, but it's really not a great time to judge the union as it was impossible to prevent layoffs and concessions. What they did do was ensure that everyone who was laid off was on CEWS until August 2021. Air Canada pilots did not get that.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”