Second WestJet pilot medical emergency inflight

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Second WestJet pilot medical emergency inflight

Post by Transition9er2 »

Can anyone confirm if this is legitimate?

Dec 27 WS 656 YYC-YYZ diverted to Winnipeg due to First Office medical distress.

Nothing in the media about it except for a Spanish(??) article here.

https://aeroin.net/piloto-passa-mal-a-3 ... aviao/?amp

Found this audio clip of comms recording on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/RseDwBaiz84

Separate incident, December 6 WS 1590 Calgary to Atlanta diverted back to Calgary due to FO medical distress.

If true, hope both pilots are ok and certainly hope we don’t see anymore of these incidents moving forward.

T.
---------- ADS -----------

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Second WestJet pilot medical emergency inflight

Post by northernpilot2 »

Transition9er2 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:00 pm

and certainly hope we don’t see anymore of these incidents moving forward.

T.
There's plenty more to come. But don't question the "experts" or you can't go to work. Its a Canadian thing

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Medical emergencies happen. If it was actually vaccine related, it will not be reported as negativity towards the vaccine goes against the agenda.

Let’s Go Brandon
Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

Thank God no one ever had a medical emergency before vaccines. Makes it simple to draw a conclusion straight to a vaccine delivered 6+ months ago based solely on a Live ATC recording.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

OMG A WESTJET PILOT IN MEDICAL DISTRESS!?

ALL WESTJET PILOTS ARE FULLY VACCINATED! THAT MEANS THAT THIS MUST BE RELATED TO THE VACCINE!

/s

short bus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by short bus »

Calm down

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Inverted2 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:32 am Medical emergencies happen. If it was actually vaccine related, it will not be reported as negativity towards the vaccine goes against the agenda.
You are either trolling or stupid.

palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

Are you referring to yourself?

Hot Wings
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hot Wings »

palebird wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:06 am Are you referring to yourself?
Oh wowie, what a zinger…

Kevin Keswick
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kevin Keswick »

There can be no question that these reports are legitimate. We have ATC recordings of both incidents.

The first pilot incapacitation on December 6th. was reported in the local media https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-ne ... passes-out

Note from that report the paramedics who were waiting at the gate had no contact with the patient? Sounds ominous doesn't it! I found an ATC recording that indicated that the pilots condition had worsened minutes before landing. Here is the link but I note that LiveATC have deleted it! (I saved a copy of the MP3 file however) https://archive.liveatc.net/cyyc/CYYC2- ... ec-06-2021

@ 4:10 - WestJet 1590 medevac: "sir can you confirm that EMS
is standing by our patient just got worse"

The second incident is on Youtube and you can listen to it here >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RseDwBaiz84

Two pilot incapacitations at one airline in one month must be unheard of. The pilot in the second incident was the FO so probably relatively young. As you listen to ATC recording the pilot was cagey when asked the gender and age of the patient - he would not say responding "I'll have to get back to you on that" - Why would they be evasive ? Gender would be self evident as would approximate age.

Canadian airline pilots are 100% "vaccinated" unlike US pilots were airlines gave out lots of exemptions and have backed off mandates e.g. Southwest and Delta.

I have no doubt that the experimental mRNA injections that the pilots were forced to get were the cause of these unheard of incidents - Two pilot incapacitations in one month at one airline!

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Kevin Keswick wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:27 am There can be no question that these reports are legitimate. We have ATC recordings of both incidents.

The first pilot incapacitation on December 6th. was reported in the local media https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-ne ... passes-out

Note from that report the paramedics who were waiting at the gate had no contact with the patient? Sounds ominous doesn't it! I found an ATC recording that indicated that the pilots condition had worsened minutes before landing. Here is the link but I note that LiveATC have deleted it! (I saved a copy of the MP3 file however) https://archive.liveatc.net/cyyc/CYYC2- ... ec-06-2021

@ 4:10 - WestJet 1590 medevac: "sir can you confirm that EMS
is standing by our patient just got worse"

The second incident is on Youtube and you can listen to it here >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RseDwBaiz84

Two pilot incapacitations at one airline in one month must be unheard of. The pilot in the second incident was the FO so probably relatively young. As you listen to ATC recording the pilot was cagey when asked the gender and age of the patient - he would not say responding "I'll have to get back to you on that" - Why would they be evasive ? Gender would be self evident as would approximate age.

Canadian airline pilots are 100% "vaccinated" unlike US pilots were airlines gave out lots of exemptions and have backed off mandates e.g. Southwest and Delta.

I have no doubt that the experimental mRNA injections that the pilots were forced to get were the cause of these unheard of incidents - Two pilot incapacitations in one month at one airline!
Thank you Kevin for those pointed questions.

Let me explain why a pilot might be "evasive" when it comes to answering questions regarding a passenger.

When you are in the cockpit working on getting the airplane to an alternate airport in a short period of time, a pilot will not get up and gather the information about a passenger. They will call back to the flight attendants and ask. Now, the flight attendants aren't standing by the intercom waiting... they will be actively assisting the passenger in need or preparing the cabin for landing.

But then again, you believe that pilots are trained and instructed to lie to avoid releasing information that substantiates your conspiracy, so I doubt you will believe anything I say.

Kevin Keswick
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kevin Keswick »

If it were a passenger who fell ill I could understand a pilot saying "I will have to get back to you". When the patient is a pilot - a colleague - I see no reason why the pilot on the radio could not instantly reply with gender and approximate age - that they were evasive on these basic questions seems strange to me.

PeterParker
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PeterParker »

imjustlurking wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:37 pm Thank you Kevin for those pointed questions.

Let me explain why a pilot might be "evasive" when it comes to answering questions regarding a passenger.

When you are in the cockpit working on getting the airplane to an alternate airport in a short period of time, a pilot will not get up and gather the information about a passenger. They will call back to the flight attendants and ask. Now, the flight attendants aren't standing by the intercom waiting... they will be actively assisting the passenger in need or preparing the cabin for landing.

But then again, you believe that pilots are trained and instructed to lie to avoid releasing information that substantiates your conspiracy, so I doubt you will believe anything I say.
I'm not trying to fuel Kevin's conspiracy fueled provocations here, but I believe it was the FO that was in medical distress and not a passenger. :roll:

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

Kevin Keswick wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:27 am I have no doubt that the experimental mRNA injections that the pilots were forced to get were the cause of these unheard of incidents - Two pilot incapacitations in one month at one airline!
Imagine that. If indeed there was a correlation between vaccination and pilot incapacitation, if Westjet has two, I would expect Air Canada should have had many more by now.

By your logic there is another inescapable conclusion. Our government has forced everybody in the airline cockpit to have an ATPL. My guess is, if you look at the stats, 100% of airline pilots that have had an incident like that held that license, so it must indeed be due to having an ATPL. Maybe we should stop requiring an ATPL to be an airline pilot, it's obvious that's the root cause here, every incapacitated pilot had one...

Kevin Keswick
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kevin Keswick »

goldeneagle wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:52 pm
Kevin Keswick wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:27 am I have no doubt that the experimental mRNA injections that the pilots were forced to get were the cause of these unheard of incidents - Two pilot incapacitations in one month at one airline!
Imagine that. If indeed there was a correlation between vaccination and pilot incapacitation, if Westjet has two, I would expect Air Canada should have had many more by now.

By your logic there is another inescapable conclusion. Our government has forced everybody in the airline cockpit to have an ATPL. My guess is, if you look at the stats, 100% of airline pilots that have had an incident like that held that license, so it must indeed be due to having an ATPL. Maybe we should stop requiring an ATPL to be an airline pilot, it's obvious that's the root cause here, every incapacitated pilot had one...
How do we know Air Canada hasn't had similar incidents? The second WestJet incident was not reported in any Canadian media - I only found out about it when I stumbled upon a Youtube channel with the ATC recording. The first incident was not widely reported in the media and there has been no follow-up.

How common are these pilot incapacitations in flight? I would think that they are very rare - a once in a blue-moon event. To have two in one month at one airline has to be unprecedented.

I have done some research and found this study of UK pilots from 2004. In all of that year there was only 1 pilot incapacitation of a pilot that occurred in flight involving a cardiovascular or cerebrovascular event. Just 1! See table ll of this study : https://skybrary.aero/sites/default/fil ... f/3395.pdf

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

I had to immediately remove myself from the flight deck upon reaching 10,000 feet on departure from LAS some years ago. The culprit was extreme cramping and gas pains from, I believe, too much bread in a short time frame (Subway sandwhich followed by Pizza Hut small pizza). It was no small laughing matter and I used the lav a total of four times on that redeye to YYZ. I went on a gluten free-ish diet for six months after that but later resumed its consumption. I was definitely incapacitated. I suspect gastrointestinal issues are a fairly frequent source of temporary pilot incapacitation.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

I think you’re overlooking two important facts:

1. 100% of these incidents occurred on Boeing products
2. 100% of these Boeing aircraft were painted teal

It’s just obvious this is a lethal combination. Wake up sheeple.

Hot Wings
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hot Wings »

ALPApolicy wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:53 am I had to immediately remove myself from the flight deck upon reaching 10,000 feet on departure from LAS some years ago. The culprit was extreme cramping and gas pains from, I believe, too much bread in a short time frame (Subway sandwhich followed by Pizza Hut small pizza). It was no small laughing matter and I used the lav a total of four times on that redeye to YYZ. I went on a gluten free-ish diet for six months after that but later resumed its consumption. I was definitely incapacitated. I suspect gastrointestinal issues are a fairly frequent source of temporary pilot incapacitation.
I don’t know man, sounds fishy. I’m willing to bet you actually received a trial mRNA vaccine through a rip in the space-time continuum, and this was a vaccine injury. Most certainly definitely.

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

What I don’t understand is why most people here do not want to at least enquire if this is an issue that can be avoided or not vs. just flippantly saying the comments are an overreaction. Maybe it’s simply food related, or maybe it is vaccine related… who knows. Why not ask the question?

In all my years of flying in the airlines I have not heard of a single pilot incapacitation resulting in an emergency landing, we train for it, but I’ve never seen let alone heard of it. Now to have 2 in the span of 4 weeks at the same airline and ppl say it’s just wild and crazy conspiracy theories?? Oh, and don’t you dare think otherwise… this seems like the real overreaction.

The human race is so weird to me. Prior to covid these two incidents would’ve raised a lot of questions in the pilot community and we would’ve been trying to understand it and better arm ourselves so it doesn’t happen again. Not now though.

But then again, maybe you all are right, maybe Pilot medical emergencies in flight resulting in emergency landings was quite common and this is simply an over exaggeration.

Wild and crazy times we live in.

T.

Hot Wings
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hot Wings »

First, it’s largely because everyone is sick of the trolls and their unending bullshit.

Second, just because you’ve never personally heard or seen of an incapacitation doesn’t mean they don’t happen. A quick Google search brings up many safety reports on both emergency landings and fatal accidents caused by pilot incapacitations.

Also, what does you posting about it have to do with safety regulators trying to learn about what caused the incapacitation? Was your post the push regulators needed to query the health of this pilot post incident?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”